Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Full CAI or short intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full CAI or short intake

I have a full one peice cai and was wondering if there is that much of a performance gain over a short ram intake. I really like how the short ram is MUCH louder on hondas. Would it be worth it to just pop in a short and get rid of the full CAI...I love looks but the sound is much sweeter!!!
    --
    "overspecialize and you breed in weakness, it's
    slow death... "

motoko kusanagi

A CAI is better but harder to install. If you already have a CAI, especially a one-piece, don't bother looking for a short ram. I personally like the sound of a CAI on an Accord more.

If you're sold on a short ram, trade your one-piece CAI for a two-piece CAI that can also function as a SRI. The standard eBay special is right up that alley. In fact, PM me if you want, I've got a two-piecer with a water bypass valve sitting around.

- Ghosty
    - Ghosty
    WTB: MAP sensor (2+bar), IAT sensor, ECU & dizzy harness plugs... PM me!
    FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about one other option...

You can make a Short Ram Intake (SRI) from the stock air intake. You remove the filter box (and optionally the resonator assembly) and attach a standard aftermarket air filter to the black plastic hose that connects the throttle body to the air filter box. Since you already have a CAI, you should have the filter. You'll just have to find a piece of round metal that will allow you to connect the filter to the hose. Look in the DIY section for better details on how to do this.
      - Ghosty
      FS: coupe window rain guards, f22a6 intake & ex mani, cams, PT6 ECU, valve cover, dizzy caps, OEM fogs... PM me!

Comment

i have a CONVERTED 2 peice CAI (when i got my h22 the mechanic had to cut it in half and shorten it to get it to fit right). he told me if this was a good setup because durring the winter and spring when its usually wet out you take the bottom peice out and attach the filter on the top peice and BOOM! RAI. but durring summer when you want your engine to stay cooler, you attach the 2nd peice again and you get cooler air. i dono if this is relivant to you but i thought it was a good idea.

i wouldnt waste 80$ on a RAI just for the sound. sport the hell out of what you have now

Comment

qucikie

dam you guys are fast...
          Well, I was just gonna do the 20$ ebay RAI but I guess the CAI is much cooler when i pop the hood vs EVERY RAI i feel not to mention I really like the look of the one peice....
          that settles it...keeping the CAI
          Thanks guys.
          --
          "overspecialize and you breed in weakness, it's
          slow death... "

motoko kusanagi

Comment

do as eurospec did ive done a few like that and they work great just get an extra fitting (the same one that goes between the intake mani and the actual intake and once you cut the cai put that between the two halves

Comment

good decision
              THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

A FRIEND IN NEED IS A FRIEND INDEED MY JAPANEASE IS BETTER
              MY RIDE

Comment

though i did forget my )

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostyman
                  A CAI is better but harder to install. If you already have a CAI, especially a one-piece, don't bother looking for a short ram. I personally like the sound of a CAI on an Accord more.

If you're sold on a short ram, trade your one-piece CAI for a two-piece CAI that can also function as a SRI. The standard eBay special is right up that alley. In fact, PM me if you want, I've got a two-piecer with a water bypass valve sitting around.

- Ghosty
                  I also like the sound of my CAI, it just sounds more mean at wide open throttle, it just sucks when it rains

Comment

cold air is the way to go.........
                    just watch out with water

SOLD-->10-09-06

MY 2000 PROTEGE

MY OLD CB7

THE SWAP

MY COROLLA TYPE-S

Comment

mr_adrenalin714 cut it in half its alot cheaper than the bypass valve but if you dont want to cut it go for the bypass

Comment

sri has much better top end, and i hate the very idea of a CAi in FL...we get way too much rain for that here..

Comment

Originally posted by mr_adrenalin714
                          I also like the sound of my CAI, it just sounds more mean at wide open throttle, it just sucks when it rains
                          sounds more mean than what? a short ram??

Comment

Bypass valves are over-rated. To come into play, your entire air filter must be submerged. That means you're in water well past your axles. They can prevent hydro-lock in that case, though. People in most of the USA don't need them.
                            - Ghosty

Comment

I'd go the full CAI route. Short intakes pull air from inside the engine bay. Even at high way speed the hot air from the radiator and engine are under the hood. With the CAI you're getting fresh air from outside. Even on a hot 90degree day, its nicer to have your engine sucking up 90 degree air vs 180 degrees from under the hood.

Comment

Working...
                              X