Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Brake Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Question

well today i decided to change out my front brake pads because my car wasnt stopping very well.

when i took the wheel off i noticed something odd, my pads were still touching the rotors. So i took the pads off and replace them.

I already have a problem with my pedal sinking to the floor but i believe that is the MC.

so i take the car for a drive and as im driving i hear a monotoned squeal...not like brakes that squeal when you push them, but more of something caused by brakes dragging. So im guessing my brakes are dragging <---duh

could a bad MC cause the brakes to drag like that?

also, that stop squeak stuff that comes with the pads...do i put that directly on the surface of the pads or somewhere else? (first time ever changing brake pads, so i dont know)

(btw this noob forum thing... ... ihope the older members will pay attention to it as much as the regular forum)

you could try taking the brakes apart and popping the piston out of the calliper and cleaning it it might work. and You do not put the stop Squeal on the front of the pad you put it on the back of the pad.

This should work

Comment

i would dissasemple the brakes, get everthing with some brake cleaner, flush the system, and take the caliper and get a pair of big pliers and compress the piston in and out. try new brake lines maybe also? your rotor might be warped.

Comment

Air in the Brake Line....

If you get a little air in the system on accident... and don't bleed the system right you could have the symptoms that you are describing.
        Why? Because... Life Happens @ 4500 RPM

Frost White CB7 Member 31

Comment

i decided to get a new MC then i will bleed then system and hope that works

Comment

The pads should be in slight contact with the rotor at all times. That is normal.

It is possible that you got some air in the lines, although just changing the pads makes that very unlikely.

The main symptom of the MC being bad will be a sinking pedal. It will usually show up in hot temps first, and will manifest as the pedal slowly sinking to the floor under braking. If pumping the pedal helps alleviate this, then there is a very good chance it is the master cylinder.

I don't know if you used Honda pads or not (which include the anti-squeel with the pads), or are using after market stuff. Either way, you apply a thin layer to the back of the brake pad, put the first shim on, apply another layer to the back of the first shim, and then place the second shim on. There is no need to put the compound on the second shim where it would contact the caliper piston.

It is also very important that you put the shims back on in the exact order that they came off.

Once you have everything installed, make sure to inspect it at least twice, because a brake failure can very easily make for a bad day.

When you have pads on and everything buttoned up, it is time to "bed" the pads. Take the car out, and accellerate to 20MPH, and then stop very firmly. Repeat the process in 10MPH increments to about 60MPH. Now that the pads are bedded, you need to take it very easy on them for about the first 500 miles or so. After that, you shouldn't have any problems with the pads squeaking.

Warped rotors will usually show up as a shake in the steering wheel under braking. It will usually start at high speeds, and then get progressively lower and worse, as the rotors get farther out of spec. If they are out of spec, you best option is to take them to a reputable mechanic or dealer and have them turned. Stock 90-93 Accord brakes must be machined on the car.

In order to inspect the brake lines, simply look for cracking/leaking in the rubber, at the joints, and at the fittings. You should also look for bulging in the rubber line.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

i fixed the dragging problem, i had the two bolts on the caliper reversed but i have another problem now.

here is my post from HT.com
              __________________________________________________ ___________

ok i went out and bought a new MC.
              i followed the instructions for installation that were included.

first step was Bench bleeding the MC off the car, the instructions said that i should push the rod in 1 inch at a time and pressure should build up there and i should only be able to push it in about 1/8 inch and no bubbles.

well, there were no bubbles, but it never gained that pressure.

so i installed it on the car, followed all bleeding instructions, bled the system for 2 hours straight and never gained pressure back to the pedal.

the pedal no longer sinks to the floor like it did before, but the thing has no pressure, it will build to a certain point and not build anymore.

Test run was crappy, the car will stop, but the pedal only works after going past half way.

i duno what im doing wrong and i need a real fast reply if possible

(there are no leaks anywhere, followed bleeding instructions per helms manual)

Comment

Hey wassup,

Can anyone tell me if the Honda OEM front pads are slotted & chamfered?
                1992 Accord Coupe 5-Speed

Comment

Working...
                X