Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

93 automatic transmission slipping after driving for an hour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 automatic transmission slipping after driving for an hour

So i just but my 93 Accord two weeks ago and I've been just driving it to work and back. I went to a friend's house that's about 20-25 miles away and after sitting in traffic for a while when I got back up to speed I noticed my 4th gear was slipping. So I got off the freeway parked to check the fluid level which was good. So when I went to reverse out of the parking spot my reverse was slipping too. After the car sat for a little while it drove fine. But I've noticed after driving it for at least an hour that it slips. Put Lucas transmission stop slip in it and it didn't work. I'm new to this forum so I hope I posted in the right spot... I hope someone can help me out.

You can do a 3x3 drain and fill. I would only use Honda OEM auto trans fluid though. Basically you drain the trans and you will get roughly 3 quarts out of it. Fill with 3 quarts, then cycle the trans through all the gears. Then repeat the process 2 more times. This will cycle roughly 80&#37;+ of your old oil out for new oil. Sadly though your trans has already begun to slip, so this may or may not help your trans out. If this doesn't do anything then it is most likely time to either rebuild the trans or find another one from a junkyard or craigslist, or possibly another member local to you. Your filter could be plugged up enough that the fluid isn't cycling enough and causing the trans to heat the fluid up and start to slip. Only problem with this is that the filter is internal to the trans and a rebuild is in order, on the newer Honda trans, you can change the filter without breaking down the trans.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I do have another motor and tranny. My only concern is that i bought the used motor and tranny off this 92 se down the street from where i work. It's a small mechanic/body shop for $250. The guy said it ran good when he got the car. But who knows. I couldn't start ther motor because he had already sold the ecu and tcm. Plus if i did i couldn't drive anyways because whoever owned the car previously hit a curb and bent the control arms and I'm sure some more stuff. So it would be kinda a crap shoot to put it in. So like i said in my original post the car doesn't slip at all unless it's been running for around an hour. Right when i leave to go somewhere the tranny is perfect...no slipping at all...even if I'm getting on the freeway and its shifting at 5700 rpms..no signs of slipping at all. Is out common for our cb7's to do this.

Comment

Never add anything to your transmission fluid. Use Honda fluid only.

Comment

How many miles on the car? For a neglected or abused transmission, yes it could be normal. Trying changing the fluid as described above. Note how much junk is on the drain plug, then clean it off. You might pull the plug on the other one you have to compare the condition of the fluid and amount of debris on the plug. You could also change the screens for the shift solenoids; I have done so, but never found any appreciable debris on them.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

The car has 175k. I bought the car almost a month ago. After iTest drove it and thought it was a dream come true. My Vigor took a crap..and i always had a thing that i loved about cb7's.. The way they can look when jdm parts are in the picture... They are beautiful. Anyways.....
            Everything was good but then i notice it's steaming from under the hood. When i bought it i checked all the fluids and the radiator was low but not super low. I filled it up and the overflow halfway. Before that there was no signs of anything wrong. I've got on it through 3rd great maybe 4-5 times and i didn't let it redline because i need it to survive till the new motor is semi built. I never was at high rpms going into 4th. I noticed it slipping a little over a week ago...only after i am driving for about a hour. At that time I guess i made a bad choice to add Lucas.. My transmission in my pathfinder was slipping in all gears.....i threw a bottle of Lucas and drove it fine for over a year before the transmission lost 2nd and 4th in a snow storm. Sorry I'm not trying to say ther product is a miracle worker or anything. It just worked real real well the first time i tried it. I don't typically drive longer then 45 minutes depending on traffic in my car. But if its longer then that 4th gear gets real bad like it isn't there it just revs.. Its obvious that something is bad... If i keep it in d3 its fine. Also i noticed that if i stop after its slipping i have issues getting reverse to grab right away...if it sits for an hour it drives fine until a hour later. I'm wondering if its possible to have something wrong with your cooling system would have a impact on this....idk really.....I've been working on cars off and on my whole life... All I'm trying to say is I'm not a complete noob... I don't have a lot of experience in automatics though... Maybe a 75 Chevy...but no imports... I've heard a lot about the tcm causing problems...I've read up and i don't see a lot of similarities in symptoms. I've read everywhere i can find without a definite answer. Or someone that's had this issue. I really hope that one of you guys have had this particular issue. Like i said in the first posts i do have a motor and tranny that's supposedly good... But idk for sure and i don't want to change the tranny if it's something smaller. In a reply above someone said to try changing my fluid in the tranny. I thought I'd try the Lucas but i don't think that it's done anything at all.... Anyways i hope i didn't go on to long about this I'm just stumped...thanks ahead of time for your help. Also thank you to for the previous replies.

Comment

Working...
            X