Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

When i turn, it sounds like something connected to my wheels are squealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could be the rack, or just the tie rods. Honestly, if it's all torn up, replacing all of it might be a good idea. The rack is discontinued, I believe. Might be able to find refurbished or aftermarket, but definitely no more new from Honda.

I've never had to replace a steering rack, but I've heard it can be a pain in the ass. Certainly doable (everything on these cars can be done with patience and the right tools), but it's not the most fun. Give yourself plenty of time to wrestle with it.

Comment

I've replaced the rack before.

It's a pretty straight forward process.

Rack and Pinion DIY

*when installing the new rack, make sure it is set as if the car is turning right. It's the easiest way to get it back in the car. Put the passenger end in first, then get the driver side in.

Make sure you are good at doing bench-presses or you have a helper. The rack is heavy and awkward. You will be holding it up and pushing it into place.

GL

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Could be the rack, or just the tie rods. Honestly, if it's all torn up, replacing all of it might be a good idea. The rack is discontinued, I believe. Might be able to find refurbished or aftermarket, but definitely no more new from Honda.
        What brands for aftermarket would you consider better quality? I want to find something online but i dont want to get any of those cheap kinds.
        Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
          I've replaced the rack before.

It's a pretty straight forward process.

Rack and Pinion DIY

*when installing the new rack, make sure it is set as if the car is turning right. It's the easiest way to get it back in the car. Put the passenger end in first, then get the driver side in.

Make sure you are good at doing bench-presses or you have a helper. The rack is heavy and awkward. You will be holding it up and pushing it into place.

GL
          Thanks!

Comment

The other option is to rebuild the rack yourself: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=207857

The seals are still available from Honda; also available aftermarket.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
            X