Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

weird idle after installing PnP throttle body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weird idle after installing PnP throttle body

So to gain a mere extra .25 hp I cleaned, very lightly ported and polished the throttle body off my f22a6 and after re assembling it I put it on with a custom cut cork gasket and Honda bond on my 91 f22a4 (both are automatic) Tightened it down by hand and then about 3/4-1 turn past that as to not crush cork and press into the throttle body channels. (I'm pretty sure its not gasket even when I tired this once before it did similar things with AutoZone gasket).
    But now after setting idle air screw it shifts and redlines at 4300 rpms. Even in 4th. So double checking no vac leaks and messing with idle air screw, my results are in.

And before anyone asks. Yes I drilled out tps sensor bolts and replaced them. I didn't drill out to the adjusting part, its still in the stock adjusted location.

First change I noticed was the shift lock mechanism doesn't work, I have to use my spare key to pull it out of park no matter if I'm on the brake or not.

Second it doesn't shift till 3900-4300 rpms. After it shifts I can slow down about 7-9 mph before down shifting and revving up again. Also WOT seems to do nothing except open the butterfly. It refuses to downshift to accelerate regardless of speed or rpms. Unless I slow down enough to force a downshift.

Third if while driving and it stays high rpms before shift I can throw it into neutral and the rpms DO NOT drop. They remain the same. Even if I come to complete stop. NOW the weird part. If I tap my throttle it usually drops the idle back down to 800-900 rpms. But if I'm rolling faster than 20 mph no matter how many time I tap my throttle it WILL NOT drop to idle, it returns to the rpm I was at before tapping.

Fourth. CEL throws a code 43. It use to be a soft 43 before I swapped throttle body, but now its a hard 43 if I've been driving for longer than 45 mins to an hour at highway speeds. I know this forces limp in mode in most cases, and it drives worse in limp in. Very sluggish.

Fifth. When I come to a stop and let off brake it takes half a second to engage the trans assembly like as if your engaging the clutch but its an auto.
    There are no vac leaks, I double checked with some carb cleaner. After inspections.
    Last edited by F22hybrid91; 02-24-2016, 06:40 PM. Reason: additional info

By soft code I mean the cel would come on occasionally. Hard code I mean it cones on everytime I drive it. The 45 mins to hour highway is from cold. While hot it does it in 10 minutes

Comment

Code 43 is usually an o2 sensor code, especially when it's sporadic as you're describing. Chances are it's just a coincidence that it occurred with the tb install. Replace the o2 sensor with a proper Denso or NTK unit and reset the ECU. I'm quite certain that will fix your problem. RockAuto has the sensors pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Code 43 is usually an o2 sensor code, especially when it's sporadic as you're describing. Chances are it's just a coincidence that it occurred with the tb install. Replace the o2 sensor with a proper Denso or NTK unit and reset the ECU. I'm quite certain that will fix your problem. RockAuto has the sensors pretty cheap.
        I'll pull O2 from doner car and see if it fixes it. Its a known working O2 before I parked it 2 months ago.

So resetting computer should fix the high idle\shift points from tb install? It does all the mentioned problems( except code 43) above ALL the time. Even without cel on. Really kills the mpg and performance.
        Last edited by F22hybrid91; 02-24-2016, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F22hybrid91 View Post
          I'll pull O2 from doner car and see if it fixes it. Its a known working O2 before I parked it 2 months ago.

So resetting computer should fix the high idle\shift points from tb install? It does all the mentioned problems( except code 43) above ALL the time. Even without cel on. Really kills the mpg and performance.
          Changed O2 sensor and reset computer by disconnecting neg battery cable and hitting brakes for 60 seconds with it disconnected.

Still have all same issues except code 43. Which I didn't think had anything to do with the symptoms of the car after Tb install.

Comment

At least it fixed the Code 43!

Have you tried properly setting your base idle?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              At least it fixed the Code 43!

Have you tried properly setting your base idle?
              As mentioned in first post "But now after setting idle air screw..." Yes.

I put original Tb back on and everything back to normal. It was eating gas like crazy. High teens mpg

Comment

Can you rev the motor to redline when stationary in neutral?
                sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Why are you not using an actual gasket for the throttle body?

Comment

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
                    Can you rev the motor to redline when stationary in neutral?
                    I don't have the Tb on it still. But I recall when tapping throttle it would indeed go past 4500 rpms. But I didn't try redlining it.

Oni cb7: I used a cork gasket with Honda bond for two reasons. I had the cork gasket material on hand when I randomly decided to swap the pnp Tb on. And in hopes of slight thermal protection from engine heat. Yes I know the coolant flows to it and wasn't sure if any type of thermal protection would be there but alas, reason #1 I had the gasket material and I cut custom gaskets all the time for different things. So it was a walk In the park.

Granted I didn't use new gasket because I knew of similar problems last time I installed it. But I removed it and decided to put off figuring out what was wrong with it since my job at the time had me working 70 hours plus a week.

Also the reason my base idle was set to 850 rpms was due to when set lower the half second delay of transmission engagement started taking longer and even at one point required throttle to be pressed to engage.
                    Last edited by F22hybrid91; 02-25-2016, 08:04 PM. Reason: base idle reasoning

Comment

I'd also like to note the original works fine with the cork and Honda bond. As it is running right now with cork gasket till I can swing by auto parts store and get gasket. As well as valve cover gasket set with the spark plug o ring gaskets. Poor new plugs sitting in oil...

Comment

I think your issue is transmission related, nothing to do with the motor.

I'd look at your TCU, it sounds like the trans is not operating correctly.

The fact it won't "drop down" in idle when your doing 20mph makes me thing the trans is staying connected.
                        sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Not sure why no-one mentioned this but did you check your TPS sensor as per the manual instructions? A false reading here pretty much explains all.

Comment

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
                            I think your issue is transmission related, nothing to do with the motor.

I'd look at your TCU, it sounds like the trans is not operating correctly.

The fact it won't "drop down" in idle when your doing 20mph makes me thing the trans is staying connected.
                            I have the none pnp original Tb on it and it runs and drives just fine. No issues. Only with the pnp Tb do I have these issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                              Not sure why no-one mentioned this but did you check your TPS sensor as per the manual instructions? A false reading here pretty much explains all.
                              I haven't. BUT I indexed it with an awl and realigned marks. Plus the first time I tried when I had similar issues can't remember what exactly but very similar, high rpms for shift, wouldn't down shift when floored unless slow enough to make it down shift. Almost as if its already running in WOT. Without cutting ac, or asking the alternator for a no-charge WOT condition. Ac is cut if I floor the pedal. But ill check the tps next time I get a few minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X