Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Down shifting and gas consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
    I have yet to have to replace a clutch due to wear. I Engine brake/downshift to a stop all the time! Your clutch shouldn't slip while downshifting/ ngine breaking! If you are shifting properly and not feathering or slipping the clutch. down shifting should have only a slight effect on your clutch wear.

I was always taught never to neutral brake!

Not to mention, putting the car in neutral while you brake still consumes fuel. The ECU is programmed for both moving and stationary idle. So you have no fuel cut when you roll in neutral. The ECU maintains idle even while rolling.
    I know that neutral brake is always frowned upon. I wasn't even recommending that. However, I've noticed that auto cb7s do downshift while braking. But, it does it at a very low RPM and is barely noticeable. The people I've seen downshifting manual trans while braking always do it higher in the rpm range.

It may not be causing a lot of wear, but I would bet that it is definitely causing additional wear that could be avoided.

Comment

Downshifting correctly gives you much more control over the car than just braking. When you down shift correctly the motor and gearbox work together and it's one harmonious driving experience.

Just braking is bleh
      sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
        Downshifting correctly gives you much more control over the car than just braking. When you down shift correctly the motor and gearbox work together and it's one harmonious driving experience.

Just braking is bleh
        That makes sense on a track, but I still don't see the benefits for daily driving.

For instance: on a track, coming up to a turn. It makes sense to downshift while braking to be in the correct gear for the turn and the upcoming straight.

Daily driving, coming up to a stop sign. Why downshift? Just cause it's fun? Or is keeping your brake pads from wearing as much worth having to work on your clutch sooner? (Yes, it may be a small amount of wear, but when you are downshifting and engine braking for everything that you need to slow down for, the wear adds up)

Comment

There's a fairly high-speed curve on my local highway that I used to downshift on regularly. The speed limit is 35mph, but I was able to double that in the CB7 (*don't do this!) I found that my car felt more balanced when I downshifted at the right moment while entering that curve. Perhaps it was all in my head...

For daily driving, downshifting for anything but engine braking is thoroughly pointless. Then again, making our cars accelerate faster and handle better without taking them to the track is also relatively pointless. We do it because it's fun!
          As I said, I heel-toe my Fit to toss it into corners. Pointless, but it makes driving the little egg far more enjoyable. Plus, when I DO get on a track, I'll have a bit of experience doing the maneuver, which I may be able to use to my advantage.

Comment

Working...
          X