Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Learning how to drive a manual, and what rpm to safely shift at for normal driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning how to drive a manual, and what rpm to safely shift at for normal driving

So I learned how to drive a manual more then a year ago but never own until now. So my question is, at what rpm is a safe and normal driving pattern? I have been shifting at 2500 to 3000 rpm, an I notice a difference like a slight bucking when leveling out at 2500, and 3000 seem to drop in nice an smooth. The clutch is 5 mth old. And catches high. Is the bucking at 2500 because I'm not shifting properly. But the buck is different then the I drop the cluck buck.

That bucking you feel is your transmission shifting into gear faster than your engine responding to keep up. In order to mitigate that, you'd have to physically get better at removing your foot from the clutch whilst preparing to give it some throttle. Practice, practice,practice.

Comment

But keep practicing, you'll find the sweet spot where it doesn't want to buck. Technically if you granny shift it (shift at low rpms all the time / below 3Krpm) it should be smooth with no bucking. Just make sure you are letting the clutch out like you do in first gear, nice and slow. Letting the clutch grab quickly or letting it out too quick will buck the car.

Comment

Thanks guys

Yea I thought I was letting out to slow, but that make sense. I only been driving for almost a week now on a consistent basis with a manual.

Comment

My CB7 was my first manual car. I usually shifted at 3000. Eventually you just get a feel for it, and you don't think about it.

Comment

I don't even look at the rpm gauge anymore. I go off of the sound of the engine. Once you get comfortable with it you'll be able to do the same. Congrats on mastering manual, youll be happy with it over automatic.
            ~Nick~
            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Good on ya'! I love driving a manual transmission, and it's a great life skill. Don't be afraid to be giving it some gas as you come to the friction point on an up shift.

Comment

Working...
              X