Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Forged pistons for f22a/b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forged pistons for f22a/b

I'm having a really hard time finding forged pistons for my car. I've found connecting rods easily enough but pistons seem to be only here: https://www.raceeng.com/p-31047-wise...t-526p85r.aspx so I was wondering if there were any other options and does a set mean 2 or 4?

A quick google search brought up Arias and the Race Engineering link you posted above. Less than 2 minutes of work. I'm not sure why your having problems finding more places to buy pistons.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
      A quick google search brought up Arias and the Race Engineering link you posted above. Less than 2 minutes of work. I'm not sure why your having problems finding more places to buy pistons.
      because the ones you linked are 86mm and the engines (f22aX and f22b2) are 85mm? I mean sure I could get it bored out an extra mm but that's gonna be another $200 or so on top of the price of the pistons.

Comment

I wouldn't expect an engine with 200,000+ miles on it to pass tolerance specs needed when installing forged pistons. There's a possibility it's not completely round. In addition, you're going to want slightly more loose tolerances if you're running forged pistons that have different expansion properties and you plan to get on it regularly. If the intended application is forced induction, the heat you'll be exposing the piston to is even that much greater.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          I wouldn't expect an engine with 200,000+ miles on it to pass tolerance specs needed when installing forged pistons. There's a possibility it's not completely round. In addition, you're going to want slightly more loose tolerances if you're running forged pistons that have different expansion properties and you plan to get on it regularly. If the intended application is forced induction, the heat you'll be exposing the piston to is even that much greater.
          My intention was to get it honed just not bored, the car only has 90,000 on it so I figured it wouldn't be too much out of tolerance.

Comment

To be absolutely certain, you're going to need to tear down your block, send it to a machine shop, and have them hone and measure it. Paying the extra for a 1mm overbore and getting the 86mm pistons to be 100&#37; certain that everything fits properly might be your best bet. Sucks to have to spend extra money, but it would suck even more if you build the engine and blow it up in a short time because you cut corners.

Comment

Originally posted by bournetc View Post
              because the ones you linked are 86mm and the engines (f22aX and f22b2) are 85mm? I mean sure I could get it bored out an extra mm but that's gonna be another $200 or so on top of the price of the pistons.
              Most shops will do 10 or 15 dollars a cylinder

Comment

If you are putting new pistons in it is **HIGHLY** recommended that you bore your sleeves anyway. Pistons slightly distort themselves and the cylinders slightly after enough miles. Your going to put perfectly round pistons into non-round holes. Not a good idea especially since you want to boost it.
                MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Onalimbcb7 View Post
                  Most shops will do 10 or 15 dollars a cylinder
                  The cheapest I've seen is $30.
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I think it depends on where you live. If you live in an area where shops are plentiful and the business is competitive, there will likely be places with low prices. If you live in the middle of nowhere, the one or two shops in town can set the price how they see fit.

I've even known shops to charge more for import engines, claiming "special tooling" or "tighter tolerances"... when they will freely admit to anyone they believe to be anti-import that the reason is simply because they "don't like that ricer shit".

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post

You can find Arias pistons for about $160 less than that posted price.
                      Originally posted by Mishakol129
                      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Working...
                      X