Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Motor Wont Turn Over/Starter Won't Engage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor Wont Turn Over/Starter Won't Engage?

I have a 1991 Accord, 5 speed, 2 door. Body and transmission has 350,000 miles, motor has about 120,000.

For about 4 months when you turned the key to start the car, you would hear what I presume was the starter "click" very rapidly. If you just continued to hold the key in the start position and listened to the wonderful clicking for about 5 seconds it would finally turn over and start, every time. I took off and reconnected all of the starter wires assuming that it was possibly a bad connection, and while that did help a little (it'd click for 2 - 3 seconds instead of 5 - 7) it never really completely got rid of the starter issue.

About a month and a half ago the starter clicking issue magically completely went away for about 2 weeks which was exciting, until one day I went out and she was as dead as a door nail. You turn the key and various dash lights come on, the brake lights, head lights, interior lights etc etc all work and you can even hear the fuel pump kicking on to prime the system so everything is getting juice, but nothing happens when the key is turned to the ignition position I.E. the starter doesn't engage and the motor doesn't turn over.

So far I've replaced:

- The starter with junkyard starter that was "tested good" by the junk yard. Is there a way I can run a hot wire to it and see if it engages so I can test it for myself? Could I do this test while it's on the car? Where would I connect this wire?

- I took out and examined the Main Relay because it's a common issue for them to be cracked after 25 years of sitting under the dash, and they've been known to cause non-start conditions. Mine looked great, no cracks or anything BUT I replaced it anyway with a new one just to rule it out as a possibility. Didn't change anything.

- New battery

- Checked and rechecked the connections going to and from the starter. Unless I'm missing something they all look pretty darn good.

- Ignition fuses in the under hood fuse box, they all look great.

I'm at a loss guys. What haven't I checked or replaced? Could it be the ignition switch? What else would cause the motor to not turn over/starter not engage? HELP!

Thank you in advance!

Comment

If the starter tests good do you think its the ignition switch?

Comment

Clutch interlock switch
        Starter cut relay

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

What order should I try these suggestions in?

Comment

In the order listed, preferably.

You can jump the 2-pin connector for the CIS to see if it will start.

You could swap/test the starter cut relay to see if it's bad.

You should also check and see if you're getting voltage on the blk/wht wire from the ignition harness. That's the one that leads straight to the solenoid on the starter, after it passes through the starter cut relay I believe...I'll have to double check that one.

Also check fuse #9 in the underdash fusebox.

Edit: The blk/wht wire from the ignition harness is actually before the starter cut relay, so if you have voltage on the ignition harness side, but not on the starter solenoid then you have either a bad relay or an open in the wire.
            Last edited by sonikaccord; 12-04-2015, 09:03 AM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Do this before you do anything. Look under the dash at the clutch pedal. There is a metal tab coming off the clutch pedal that engages a safety switch when it is depressed. This tab is supposed to have a plastic stopper in it. Sometimes they break and fall out and there is nothing left to engage the switch. If its gone there's your problem.

Comment

Working...
              X