Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Crusty Header Shield..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crusty Header Shield..?

So, I do not know what it's actually called, but I'm just guessing it's a heatshield for the header.

It's become crusty as hell and it rattles.. Should I just take it out? I'm almost certain that the bolts are seized due to the corrosion.

May be an idiotic question, but I've not even owned the car for a week.

Originally posted by Transgressor View Post
    So, I do not know what it's actually called, but I'm just guessing it's a heatshield for the header.

It's become crusty as hell and it rattles.. Should I just take it out? I'm almost certain that the bolts are seized due to the corrosion.

May be an idiotic question, but I've not even owned the car for a week.

Not really needed. Just break the 2 bolts (as yes, they usually are siezed) and pull that paperweight out of the engine bay.

Comment

Originally posted by marneus901 View Post
      Not really needed. Just break the 2 bolts (as yes, they usually are siezed) and pull that paperweight out of the engine bay.
      It's bolted into the header though, does your advice as to removing it still hold up?

Comment

Ah yes of course there's no reason for it, Honda definitely put it there for no reason.

The heat shield is supposed to keep heat off of your other components. Without it, you will see premature wear on all perishable components near it.

You can remove itif you really want to, but then everything around it will wear quicker.
        sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
          Ah yes of course there's no reason for it, Honda definitely put it there for no reason.

The heat shield is supposed to keep heat off of your other components. Without it, you will see premature wear on all perishable components near it.

You can remove itif you really want to, but then everything around it will wear quicker.
          Agreed but if its rattling and causing issues, why keep it? I dont see my dc sports headers with a heat sheild.

Comment

So basically, theres a couple reasons why most Aftermarket Exhaust headers dont utilise the OEM Heatshield.

1. Its ugly
            2. if youd spent $500 + on a brand new header, you dont want to cover that up
            3. less compatability. heat shields across different Cars do differ but the exhaust manifolds can be interchangeable.
            4. Price, its also costs alot of money to Add a heat shield to Exhaust Manifolds Due to R&D etc
            5. Alot of people with aftermarket exhausts are less concerned with the cars longevity, anyway.

the heat shield being gone wont have drastic effects. infact, It might barely even be noticeable. but it will result in Various parts on the Car wearing more than they should, due to the extra heat.

Eventually, PS/AC lines, Accesory belts, and extra stuff will wear quicker than they should. Its not that necessary.

I dont have one on my integra, but i do have one on my accord.

Id reccomend fixing it and Keeping it to Keep the rest of your engine bay components in good condition. If you get an aftermarket exhaust, unfortunately, theres no chance of using heat shields. Ive seen differening opinions on Exhaust wrapping, so i wont advise you what to do, i think its a good idea but i dont reccomend it as it can also Make the exhaust too hot and result in it breakingm, even iff the performance is good.

just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
              So basically, theres a couple reasons why most Aftermarket Exhaust headers dont utilise the OEM Heatshield.

1. Its ugly
              2. if youd spent $500 + on a brand new header, you dont want to cover that up
              3. less compatability. heat shields across different Cars do differ but the exhaust manifolds can be interchangeable.
              4. Price, its also costs alot of money to Add a heat shield to Exhaust Manifolds Due to R&D etc
              5. Alot of people with aftermarket exhausts are less concerned with the cars longevity, anyway.

the heat shield being gone wont have drastic effects. infact, It might barely even be noticeable. but it will result in Various parts on the Car wearing more than they should, due to the extra heat.

Eventually, PS/AC lines, Accesory belts, and extra stuff will wear quicker than they should. Its not that necessary.

I dont have one on my integra, but i do have one on my accord.

Id reccomend fixing it and Keeping it to Keep the rest of your engine bay components in good condition. If you get an aftermarket exhaust, unfortunately, theres no chance of using heat shields. Ive seen differening opinions on Exhaust wrapping, so i wont advise you what to do, i think its a good idea but i dont reccomend it as it can also Make the exhaust too hot and result in it breakingm, even iff the performance is good.

just my .02

I really appreciate your .02

I'll see what I can do about the rattling, probably just get something heat resistant to bond it to the header where the bolt corroded and turned to dust.

Thanks for the response, not just you, but everybody who responded!

Comment

If it's rattling, it's loose. Check the bolts.
                You can remove it, sand it down, and paint it with high temp paint if you want it to look better.

Comment

Half the bloody heatshield has rusted away mate I don't think that's just a loose bolt Mike hahaha

Comment

Go ahead and try to remove the bolts, if they come out, great. If not, the rest of that heat shield will probably crumble to dust if you just start pulling on it. If the bolts come out, keep your eye out for a replacement, as deev suggested, wire brush the heck out of it, then use VHT (Very High Temperature) paint. You can notch the bottom end to clear the O2 sensor if you don't want to mess with removing that.
                    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 11-28-2015, 12:49 PM.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by iamtoy5678
                      but then everything around it will wear quicker.
                      ปอยเปต คาสิโน
                      Of course, none of that stuff around it is really necessary either, depending on what you want from the car. PS and AC lines don't wear if they aren't there.

Comment

Working...
                      X