Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

RPM on Highway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM on Highway?

I wanted to ask around and find out what other cbs are cruising rps on freeways around 65-80mph? Im at about 3200rpm at like 65 and almost 3800 at 75... it seems really high and i don't remember the any of my old cbs to revving that high...

RPM is solely dependent on your transmission's gear ratio, and the diameter of your tires. If you're running a stock transmission and stock tire diameter, that is exactly where you should be... and where everyone else will be with the same setup.

Comment

ya the car is all stock just my 3 other cars all cruise at like 2200-2500 so i drove the car today for the first time on the freeway and it was at 3000 so i was just curious if it was supposed to be that high or if my car wasnt shifting or something. Ok good to know

Comment

Auto or manual?

I'm pretty sure that makes a difference.

Comment

Are your 3 other cars CB7s?

Comment

What's the code on the transmission?
            Originally posted by Mishakol129
            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Ya i had other cbs but that was about 4 years ago, so i dont remember what they were at, and it is auto, and where do i find the code on the trans? I have had alot of newer cars since then so thats why 3000, sounded high compared to my truck at 2200 and wifes car at 2300...

Comment

3200 RPM at 81 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by km1998 View Post
                  3200 RPM at 81 MPH
                  OK see thats what im talking about if im at 80+ its almost 4000... so i was thinking is there a difference between sedan and wagon trans? I did do some research and i found a few other forums that say its not locking up, and that the thermostat was the cause? So im not super sure about what the deal is. But im just waiting to get the timing belt fixed and then i will start working on that issue... i need to get it figured out since im moving to Washington and having to drive the cb9 there so ya i dont think a 24 hr drive at 3500-4000 rpm is good for the car...

Comment

The wagon with a manual transmission has a steeper final drive ratio - 4.27:1 compared to 4.06:1 for the sedan. But this is only about a 5% change, which should only increase rpm (for example) from 3200 to 3365.

I don't know about the automatics.

Comment

My auto wagon is 2800-2900 at 65 and 3000 to 3100 at 70. The auto trans really really needs a better overdrive.

I also had a manual sedan that was about 2600-2700 at those speeds.

Comment

does your overdrive work?

Comment

i have counted the shifts and its in 4th... its a 91 so i have the sport button and it doesnt do anything really... From some other forums i have read that the lockup is controlled by the temperature sensor and replacing the thermostat made it work... i know it sounds weird how could a cooling element mess with the transmission, and im not sure... So after i get the timing belt fixed i will be working on getting the transmission issue solved, i do remember that the sensor on the thermostat housing was disconnected and the connection is jumped, which is why my fan stays running when the car is on.

Comment

All the sport button does is hold each gear longer at partial throttle.

If there is an issue regarding the temperature sensor, I'd be willing to bet it's that jumped connection.

Comment

ya i have played with sport button and i never could really tell the difference... and i figured the jumped plug would be the culprit

Comment

Working...
                              X