Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Quick question about (dizzy) rotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question about (dizzy) rotor

I'm looking at the ignition system on my 92 cb7/F22a1 and wondering if (like 16V VWs where I cut my teeth) the distributor rotor is glued on, or just pressed on? On a VW they almost never come off cleanly, is this true on an F22A1?

Skanks

If it's original, or more likely an OEM replacement, it's held on by a phillips screw, accessible through the access hole in the dust cover. If the distributor is attached to the engine, you'll have to turn the engine over until the screw is visible.
    If it's an aftermarket rotor, it's usually held on with a tension clip inside. Those tend to get stuck over time if they're old.

Once you've either removed the screw or verified that there is no screw, do your best to apply even pressure as you pull... you may get lucky. Sometimes they're stuck on there pretty good, though.

Comment

Most I've seen use the tension clip but it's always best to check for a screw too. Use the 19mm on the p/s pulley to turn the engine over counter-clockwise to double check. Always put a thin film of grease on the "D" shaft of the dizzy, those like to really stick on there!

Comment

Yeah, at this point, it's more common for these cars to have cheaper autoparts store replacements, rather than proper OEM stuff... unless the rotor is REALLY old, or the car came from someone that maintained it meticulously!
        Always check, though. If there's a screw instead of a clip, it's not coming off until you remove it... and if you pull too hard on a rotor that's screwed to the shaft, you could end up damaging the distributor.

Comment

Sadly the replacement cap I just bought from the dealership has the tension clip and not the screw.
          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Thinking back, with the TEC accord and prelude units (td-34, 54 & 60u) that I'm used to, I've never seen those use a set screw. So far the only dizzy that I've handled that used a screw was for a 90-93 Integra. Also, my 95 Odyssey F22B6 Hitachi unit uses a screw, so it's very possible that the F22B1 (hitachi also) uses a screw too. One thing I cannot stress enough is that thin film of grease, if not, rust develops on the shaft and really causes some headaches later on.

Comment

Working...
            X