Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Pro's / Con's of a new Battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro's / Con's of a new Battery?

Well, I've recently decided to buy a new battery for my CB7.

As of now, I've got the extra bit of cash to go ahead and drop the hundred or so for a battery so I figured "Why not?". My current battery is going dead (battery light is always on) and I'd prefer not to wait until startup failure to go and buy one.

However, I'd like to know if the benefits or pro's and con's to buying a new battery. The only thing I can think of is that the light codes stored on the battery would be wiped, but are there any other reasons why I should keep my battery?

I plan on swapping the battery to go along with some new fuses as well, so that's part of the reason why I'd like to get a new one.

Basically, what benefits come of replacing a battery aside from not having to worry about getting stranded somewhere?

The battery doesn't have codes.
    If your light is coming on, you probably have an alternator or ground issue.

Did you get it load tested yet?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Just get a cheap walmart battery. they last a long time and they pay you for your old one. There are no cons of getting a new battery.

Comment

Have you reload it ?

But like already said , light is on for another issue I think .

Comment

As stated, you probably have an alternator issue or a bad ground if your battery light keeps coming on. If it's not giving you any startup problems or acting weak, then your just throwing money at something that most likely won't fix your problem. Source the fault part first, then worry about a new battery.

If you're hard-up on spending money on a battery that you most likely don't need, then take my advice and get a walmart battery with a 2-3 year warrantee. I usually buy on and then take it in as a bad battery just before the warrantee is up. They only charge the difference for a new one and you'll be on your way.

Comment

As stated before it's most likely not your battery. But I think you are asking if you remove your battery what negative effects it has on the car.

1. ECU gets wiped and your car may run funny until it gets everything figured out again.

2. Radio presets get wiped so you will have to reprogram in your favorite stations.

3. Dashboard clock resets. Mines always an hour off anyway because of daylight savings by the time I get around to changing the time on the clock boom time changes again and it's off by an hour the other direction

Let me know if I missed anything...

If your car starts and runs there isn't really a good reason to replace your battery. The starter and the headlights take the biggest tole on your battery. If both are working good then I see no benefit from replacing your battery.
            Last edited by nexuslite; 07-16-2015, 02:55 PM.
            92 Honda Accord LX

Comment

The ONLY benefit... hell, the ONLY purpose... of the battery is to start the car. If your battery is weak or dies overnight... it needs to be replaced. If the alternator isn't charging the battery, but the car runs without issue, it's likely that the battery simply doesn't hold a charge, and needs to be replaced. If the car won't stay running, the alternator is shot.

Nexuslite listed the main things that will be reset when you disconnect the battery (things that are probably already reset anyway, if the battery has fully died on you.)

As said, there are no "codes" in the battery. It's not some computerized gizmo. It's just a power cell. A storage device. No fancier than the Duracells in your TV remote. It WILL wipe any error codes stored in your ECU, but they will return quickly enough if you have problems still in need of attention.

Comment

Check fuse #2 to see if it is blown. Get the alternator load tested as has been stated and get your battery tested.

Best battery to buy in my book is at the dealership. Cheaper than most parts stores and with a great warranty.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by rustyaccord View Post
                  Just get a cheap walmart battery. they last a long time and they pay you for your old one. There are no cons of getting a new battery.
                  I went to my neighborhood Advanced Auto Parts and just got the one they recommended, it's a AutoCraft "Silver" (too lazy to grab the specs), but it came with a 2 year warranty.

Originally posted by ShotgunFacelift View Post
                  As stated, you probably have an alternator issue or a bad ground if your battery light keeps coming on. If it's not giving you any startup problems or acting weak, then your just throwing money at something that most likely won't fix your problem. Source the fault part first, then worry about a new battery.

If you're hard-up on spending money on a battery that you most likely don't need, then take my advice and get a walmart battery with a 2-3 year warrantee. I usually buy on and then take it in as a bad battery just before the warrantee is up. They only charge the difference for a new one and you'll be on your way.
                  I had some problems with starting the car after replacing it, and I went ahead and decided to flush my radiator (as I had been having some heating issues ), now I'm letting it charge.

Originally posted by nexuslite View Post
                  As stated before it's most likely not your battery. But I think you are asking if you remove your battery what negative effects it has on the car.

1. ECU gets wiped and your car may run funny until it gets everything figured out again.

2. Radio presets get wiped so you will have to reprogram in your favorite stations.

3. Dashboard clock resets. Mines always an hour off anyway because of daylight savings by the time I get around to changing the time on the clock boom time changes again and it's off by an hour the other direction

Let me know if I missed anything...

If your car starts and runs there isn't really a good reason to replace your battery. The starter and the headlights take the biggest tole on your battery. If both are working good then I see no benefit from replacing your battery.
                  Yeah it's acting kind of funny, but for the most part everything is back on track with before, if anything my lights may seem a bit brighter.

However, I notice that my headlights for some reason are just damn dull as can be.

I can have on my high beams and they look like low-beams, and my low-beams -- well they don't look like they're on at all.
                  I plan on swapping out my headlights for a pair of green projector headlights soon, but until then, I need to find some way to fix the brightness on these headlights.

I've already replaced all of the bulbs, and I'm going to check on my fuses soon.

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
                  Check fuse #2 to see if it is blown. Get the alternator load tested as has been stated and get your battery tested.

Best battery to buy in my book is at the dealership. Cheaper than most parts stores and with a great warranty.
                  Alright, sounds like it shouldn't take too much effort.

So, where exactly would you recommend to get the alternator load tested? Would maybe Auto Zone, or Advance Auto Parts offer those services or what?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

Sounds like you have an alternator issue, one which may be killing your new battery as well. A quick alternator test would be to fire up the car and then use a multimeter across the batter terminals. If they read anything less than 12-14V then your alternator is the fault. If you don't have a multimeter, you can start the car and then disconnect the positive (+) lead from the battery. If your car shuts off, which I'm willing to bet it does, then your alternator is the fault.

Comment

You may want to try cleaning the head lights really good, sometimes they get a yellow tint to them. Try to buff that off. Alternator or wiring issues may be another cause for dim headlights.
                      92 Honda Accord LX

Comment

dull head lights sounds like alternator issue. Our head lights are made out of glass so you don't get the typical hazing unless you have a crack in the lens and moisture has gotten into them.
                        ~Nick~
                        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by ShotgunFacelift View Post
                          Sounds like you have an alternator issue, one which may be killing your new battery as well. A quick alternator test would be to fire up the car and then use a multimeter across the batter terminals. If they read anything less than 12-14V then your alternator is the fault. If you don't have a multimeter, you can start the car and then disconnect the positive (+) lead from the battery. If your car shuts off, which I'm willing to bet it does, then your alternator is the fault.
                          So, the alternator seems to be the issue. Too bad I just spent the larger portion of my money.

Buying and replacing the alternator most likely won't be an option for another week or so; do you all think that driving with a malfunctioning alternator is considered to be hazardous?

I'm certain that it's not "GOOD" for the car, but I'd hate to have to find new means of transportation right now.

Secondly, it is "killing" my battery, so I got a battery charger as well to counter that. Hopefully once I DO replace the alternator, there wont be any evident damage to the battery, or I can just re-charge it and it'll be okay..

Comment

It could. Best case is that you'll be stranded. Worst is you'll fry something due to excessive voltage drop/spike.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I would try avoid driving at night. Try not to use things like the stereo that take power. Most likely the only side effect would be that your battery runs low and your car won't start. Possibly harmful to the battery to let it run that low but shouldn't be to much of an issue. If you can put your battery on a trickle charger every night.

I would take the alternator in and have it tested most auto parts stores can do this for you. Make sure it is the problem before replacing it.
                              92 Honda Accord LX

Comment

Working...
                              X