Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Lights Flashing - Faulty Alarm/ Safety System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lights Flashing - Faulty Alarm/ Safety System?

Well firstly, I'd like to introduce myself as I'm new to the forum. I've been doing a bit of reading on different topics for a month or two and decided to go ahead and make an account because there's a lot of useful information here.

However, I've come across somewhat of an issue with my CB7. I recently received it as a graduation gift / repair car and after doing some minor replacements and body work i'm getting her on the road.

For some reason the car lights blink on the interior as well as the exterior (as if the Hazard button is pushed in) for about thirty seconds to a minute every time I start the car or park. Granted, I think it could be some sort of a "Safety Feature" or something, but often times it goes on and off, or it happens somewhat randomly.

Basically, I'm just wondering if this happens to anyone else, and if not what you all think may be the issue that I'm encountering.

It doesn't really pose as too much of a problem, but it is annoying for someone to always let me know "Hey, you left your lights on", and then a minute later they're off.

FYI: It's a 93' EX Sedan

Is your car equipped with an alarm, remote entry system, or remote start system? I've never heard of anyone having your specific issue before, so I can only imagine that it might be due to some aftermarket electronics system either malfunctioning or being installed poorly.

Are any warning lights on? SRS, Check Engine, or if it's an automatic, a flashing D4?

Comment

It doesn't sound normal. Either a wiring issue with your car or something. Unless I push a button or turn a switch all my lights are always off.
      92 Honda Accord LX

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Is your car equipped with an alarm, remote entry system, or remote start system? I've never heard of anyone having your specific issue before, so I can only imagine that it might be due to some aftermarket electronics system either malfunctioning or being installed poorly.

Are any warning lights on? SRS, Check Engine, or if it's an automatic, a flashing D4?

@Deevergote

I believe that there was an alarm installed before, but it was removed (some of the wiring is still in the engine bay) and I do have remote entry. As a matter of fact, the remote itself has issues with locking and unlocking sometimes as well as the power locks altogether.

I know that it having so many owners most likely contributes to the bad aftermarket installations so it's gonna' be a problem in a future to correct their errors.

As far as any warning lights, the Check Engine light is on, and the ABS light comes on sometimes. I plan on getting an inspection in the next day or two, hopefully I can get a full diagnosis on the car.

Comment

So, like @Deevergote was saying; I think it has something to do with my remote entry system as I used the remote to lock the doors (which I usually don't do because it has its moments) and after unlocking and locking the doors the blinking instantly stopped.

I would imagine that the problem is just that I'm not locking my doors.

#StonerProblems

Thanks for the help though, I guess it lubed up the gears for me to do some basic thinking.

Comment

If the check engine light is on, you have more problems than simply a bad alarm or remote entry installation. Read the thread at the top of this section marked "READ HERE FIRST" (nobody ever does). It will show you how to read the error code(s) that the check engine light is reporting.
            The SRS light could be a problem. I've never seen it happen, but if people had been messing with your wiring it could be more likely... but if the SRS system is on the fritz, you run a risk of the airbag deploying for no reason. That could be deadly if it happens on the highway. It may not happen, and the worst that may result is the airbag not deploying at all in an accident... but it's something you'll want to fix.

Honestly, if the wiring has been hacked up by amateurs, it might be less frustrating to simply dig up new harnesses from a junkyard car. It will still be a pain, as full harness swaps are annoying... but it might be better than trying to locate and undo a previous owner's nonsense.
            If you do go that route, be sure to get wiring from another 93 EX (92 may work. Avoid 90-91...). Check the VIN number on your car. If it starts with "JHM", only take a harness from another car with a JHM VIN. Likewise, if it starts with 1HG, only take a harness from another 1HG. (the reason is that JHM cars were made in Japan, whereas 1HG cars were made in Ohio. Honda tends to use a couple different brands of electronic components, some which won't plug up to others. I believe the difference is often due to the location of manufacture.)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              If the check engine light is on, you have more problems than simply a bad alarm or remote entry installation. Read the thread at the top of this section marked "READ HERE FIRST" (nobody ever does). It will show you how to read the error code(s) that the check engine light is reporting.
              The SRS light could be a problem. I've never seen it happen, but if people had been messing with your wiring it could be more likely... but if the SRS system is on the fritz, you run a risk of the airbag deploying for no reason. That could be deadly if it happens on the highway. It may not happen, and the worst that may result is the airbag not deploying at all in an accident... but it's something you'll want to fix.

Honestly, if the wiring has been hacked up by amateurs, it might be less frustrating to simply dig up new harnesses from a junkyard car. It will still be a pain, as full harness swaps are annoying... but it might be better than trying to locate and undo a previous owner's nonsense.
              If you do go that route, be sure to get wiring from another 93 EX (92 may work. Avoid 90-91...). Check the VIN number on your car. If it starts with "JHM", only take a harness from another car with a JHM VIN. Likewise, if it starts with 1HG, only take a harness from another 1HG. (the reason is that JHM cars were made in Japan, whereas 1HG cars were made in Ohio. Honda tends to use a couple different brands of electronic components, some which won't plug up to others. I believe the difference is often due to the location of manufacture.)

Fortunately, my SRS light isn't on anymore, and it hasn't been coming on lately so i'm not sure if that was just temporary or what.

However, thanks for the tips, I'll definitely keep that in mind when fishing for parts.

Comment

One thing about cars is that they NEVER just fix themselves.

Comment

Working...
                X