Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1993 LX modernize; need opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 LX modernize; need opinions

I have a 4dr 5sp that has 149k on the clock. Yeah barely broken in. I have some ideas for it, but need feedback
    1: what engine do i have exactly? the engine codes confuse thee
    2: being an LX I have no ABS and the rears are drums. Has anyone tried modernizing this system? tips?
    3: The car came with a nice sound system, but the center console needs modernizing; has anyone custom build consoles for these cars? Shifter and EBrake are not moving, the AC controls stay put, but under that, its free space.
    4: This is my first manual car, and I love it already! However, she doesnt wanna stay in 2nd. if I lift off the gas above 2k rpms she pops out. I have yet to check fluid levels (do manuals have filters? If so where is it?)
    5: Mystery: temp gauge claims under opt temp, but under the hood it feels nice and toasty. normal? thermostat?
    6: the door panels have seen better days. Tips for self repair or just get another panel out of junkyard?
    7: driver window is out of track, how does one remove the WHOLE window assembly?
    8: I need a splitter and spoiler, cause after 90mph (VIR is up the street), she starts to float a lot.
    9: Cruise does not work at all, good place to start?
    10: I hate the wiper speed options (last owner put REALLY NICE wipers on it), Has anyone used custom speeds? I was thinking of using a Land Rover Discovery wiper stalk. (have tons, and bout the same size).
    11: The LX was cloth (lughh). I'm actually pretty good with the ole sewing machine, any DIY seat reupholsters out there?
    12: I plan on owning this car till death, but not with this little amount of power. I am not touching the exhaust, no Turbo or nitrous. So NA it is. Cheap power improvements that can be found in junkyard? really heavy systems that could be trashed? This is my DD, so no reliability worries is a must. I know my way around a wrench and soldering iron.
    13: 93 or 87 octane?
    14: I have saggin visors. any way to tighten them up?
    15: The stock battery is a side connection (or at least mine is), I absolutly hate this style and would like ideas for battery type conversions, I need posts in my cars.
    16: my side mirrors are powered and work great, but not how i want them to. go to adjust and they go nuts. short somewhere, but where to start looking?
    17: I have a rattle (noticeable at idle but probably whole range), like tin can rattle. Exhaust manifold cover?
    18: Plan on pulling out the grey carpet, cheap but stylish alternative? (i like black red and dark blues.
    19: Has anyone put cupholders in the back? (I may make it a 4 seater instead of 5 like my benz
    20: Last one, and this is the big one. I love the changing gears and all, but the ratios in this thing suck. I think it would be cool to go 6 spd from newer accord, close ratio 1st through to 4th or 5th and a stupid tall six. ideally 80 mph cruise at <=2k rpms. I would not mind sticking with 5, but i doubt it would accomplish my desires.

I know it is alot, but it helps keep it all in check. I need opinions, tips, etc. pics in show off section soonTM.

Originally posted by BigDcBiggs View Post
    I have a 4dr 5sp that has 149k on the clock. Yeah barely broken in. I have some ideas for it, but need feedback
    1: what engine do i have exactly? the engine codes confuse thee
    There is a stamp on the engine block, it should be F22a* where the * is 1,4 or 6. I believe yours came stock with the F22a4.
    2: being an LX I have no ABS and the rears are drums. Has anyone tried modernizing this system? tips?
    Yes, people have done disc swaps. Check the DIY section.
    3: The car came with a nice sound system, but the center console needs modernizing; has anyone custom build consoles for these cars? Shifter and EBrake are not moving, the AC controls stay put, but under that, its free space.
    Yep, a member by the name of Wherm swapped in a Prelude dash and center console. Swapping to an SE dash with the airbag makes the dash look updated. A shorter shifter, shift knob and boot are the easiest center console mods. You'll have to be creative.
    4: This is my first manual car, and I love it already! However, she doesnt wanna stay in 2nd. if I lift off the gas above 2k rpms she pops out. I have yet to check fluid levels (do manuals have filters? If so where is it?)
    I haven't seen one. Sounds like your synchros are toast.
    5: Mystery: temp gauge claims under opt temp, but under the hood it feels nice and toasty. normal? thermostat?
    No, not normal. Does your radiator fan kick on? You may have wiring problems.
    6: the door panels have seen better days. Tips for self repair or just get another panel out of junkyard?
    Junkyard is faster and cheaper unless you want to do custom work.
    7: driver window is out of track, how does one remove the WHOLE window assembly?
    Remove the door panel, lower the window, remove the two bolts holding the window to the regulator, lift out at an angle.
    8: I need a splitter and spoiler, cause after 90mph (VIR is up the street), she starts to float a lot.
    Negative, you need to replace probably worn suspension components first.
    9: Cruise does not work at all, good place to start?
    Check your pedal switches.
    10: I hate the wiper speed options (last owner put REALLY NICE wipers on it), Has anyone used custom speeds? I was thinking of using a Land Rover Discovery wiper stalk. (have tons, and bout the same size).
    Yes, there is an intermittent wiper stalk DIY in the DIY section.
    11: The LX was cloth (lughh). I'm actually pretty good with the ole sewing machine, any DIY seat reupholsters out there?
    They are out there somewhere
    12: I plan on owning this car till death, but not with this little amount of power. I am not touching the exhaust, no Turbo or nitrous. So NA it is. Cheap power improvements that can be found in junkyard? really heavy systems that could be trashed? This is my DD, so no reliability worries is a must. I know my way around a wrench and soldering iron.
    Swap an H22a or H23 VTEC
    13: 93 or 87 octane?
    87 is fine
    14: I have saggin visors. any way to tighten them up?
    Should be two screws on the hinge, or swap with one from the yard.
    15: The stock battery is a side connection (or at least mine is), I absolutly hate this style and would like ideas for battery type conversions, I need posts in my cars.
    You have a GM style battery. Get a top mount battery of the appropriate size.
    16: my side mirrors are powered and work great, but not how i want them to. go to adjust and they go nuts. short somewhere, but where to start looking?
    Start with the electrical diagrams posted in the technical section.
    17: I have a rattle (noticeable at idle but probably whole range), like tin can rattle. Exhaust manifold cover?
    Loose change?
    18: Plan on pulling out the grey carpet, cheap but stylish alternative? (i like black red and dark blues. Check out what Accords came with Blue or Black interiors or custom make your own
    19: Has anyone put cupholders in the back? (I may make it a 4 seater instead of 5 like my benzI believe some seats will swap with rear cupholders, not too sure on that one
    20: Last one, and this is the big one. I love the changing gears and all, but the ratios in this thing suck. I think it would be cool to go 6 spd from newer accord, close ratio 1st through to 4th or 5th and a stupid tall six. ideally 80 mph cruise at <=2k rpms. I would not mind sticking with 5, but i doubt it would accomplish my desires.
    Nope, you would have 1 forward gear and 6 reverses.
    I know it is alot, but it helps keep it all in check. I need opinions, tips, etc. pics in show off section soonTM.
    Most of these questions have been asked previously. You sound like you have a lot of work ahead of you!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
      Most of these questions have been asked previously.
      True, but I was having issues finding them
      1: where is said stamp?
      5: Radiator fan doesn't kick on, I don't think it is over heating, but the temp gauge seems just off.
      7: The window is up past all the way up and refuses to move (motor does work)
      12: I would rather not swap out engines; Aint nobody got time for dat
      15: What would be an appropriate size battery?
      17: The rattle is louder outside than inside and I removed all loose items
      20: What other transmissions bolt up?
      I really appriciate the reply, and I cannot wait to show her off.

Comment

Dang man, sonik the spoonhog!

Comment

Down and to the left of the exhaust manifold.

Comment

Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158531

You have a lot of reading to do. In each section you will see Stickys:, they will help you answer many or your common questions.

Comment

True, but I was having issues finding them
              1: where is said stamp?
              Hellraisin answered this

5: Radiator fan doesn't kick on, I don't think it is over heating, but the temp gauge seems just off.
              Still might be overheating. Temps will raise at idle if the fan doesn't work.

7: The window is up past all the way up and refuses to move (motor does work)
              No idea

12: I would rather not swap out engines; Aint nobody got time for dat
              Except 98% of our forum

17: The rattle is louder outside than inside and I removed all loose items
              Maybe the down pipe bracket welds broke, do you feel it in your feet around 2500 rpm? In fact, just check the exhaust.

20: What other transmissions bolt up?
              All F and H series bolt up.

I really appriciate the reply, and I cannot wait to show her off.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post

Uh I don't think you need a 24 volt battery unless your diesel. Most cars run on 12v
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                  Uh I don't think you need a 24 volt battery unless your diesel. Most cars run on 12v
                  Lol

Group 24, not 24v

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Gotcha I thought that was an odd response....well now I look dumb lol
                    ~Nick~
                    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

1. F22A1
                      2. Yes. Rear disc brake conversion DIYs can be found in the DIY section of this site. ABS has not been successfully added (to my knowledge, nobody has bothered to try.)
                      3. Sure. It's been done. Get creative.
                      4. Your cables may need to be adjusted, your fluid level may be low, your hydraulics may be in bad shape. Manuals do not have removable filters, or dipsticks (unfortunately). Drain your transmission via the drain bolt that will fit a 3/8 ratchet (square hole) and refill it with either Honda MTF or AC Delco Synchromesh (found at a GM dealership). 2 quarts.
                      5. 22 year old gauges aren't the most accurate things in the world. If you're not overheating, you're probably fine. Thermostats are cheap to replace if you would feel better doing so. Won't hurt anything.
                      6. Junkyard or ebay, unless you're familiar with automotive upholstery.
                      7. Remove the door panel. Undo the bolts holding the window in place. Remove the window. Undo the bolts holding the regulator in place. Remove the regulator. The problem is likely due to the regulator more so than the door tracks.
                      8. Then get a splitter and a spoiler. Side skirts will help as well. You should also be considering some wider, stickier tires and a QUALITY suspension setup (there are many suspension options for our cars, very few are actually worth using... many are downright putting your life at risk! Do your research.) Until then, I'd suggest not racing at those speeds. I'm hoping you're at least keeping that driving confined to the track (for which I applaud you.)
                      9. There are two primary components for cruise control. The brain box under the dash (gray box a little bigger than an Altoids box) and the vacuum pot under the hood. Make sure the electrical bits are getting power, and that there are no vacuum leaks. Then replace one or the other. Or just do what 90&#37; of us do... and remove it all.
                      10. People have done it. There MAY be DIY threads on it. If there are not, now would be a great time for you to figure it out and write a DIY for the benefit of everyone else!
                      11. I don't believe anyone here has ever fabricated their own seat covers. If you're familiar with it, go for it. Keep in mind that simply fitting new seat coverings can be mighty complicated, even when they're made professionally to fit perfectly (such as the products available from Katzkin.) Again, if you do it, take lots of pictures and write up a DIY. Your fellow CB7tuners will love you for it.
                      12. There is a thread at the top of this section (among the threads you should have read prior to posting) that answers this question directly. I know this because I wrote it. I'm not going to waste my time repeating myself. However, an H22A swap will give you a reliable "stock" 200hp that feels like it belongs in the CB chassis.
                      13. 87
                      14. Depends what causes the sag. Tighten the bolts. If the holes are damaged, repair them, or buy bigger bolts. If the coverings are loose, put a small slit in them and spray in some adhesive. Get creative.
                      15. Buy a new battery with top posts. Most batteries come that way.
                      16. Break out the multimeter.
                      17. Maybe. Or catalytic converter cover. Or a previous owner left a can of But Light tucked somewhere under the hood. Have a friend rev the engine while you crawl around listening. Or just go around tapping on parts. Or just do what I did, and ignore it until the offending piece jumps ship.
                      18. Aftermarket carpet will never be as good as your stock carpet. There is no preferred brand. Google is your friend.
                      19. Possibly. Poke around the Members Rides and DIY sections to see if anyone has posted about it. If nobody has... well, you probably see where I'm going with this.
                      20. There are NO 6 speed transmissions that are compatible with any F, H, G, D, or B series engine. They all rotate counter-clockwise, and never had a 6 speed transmission developed for any of them (aside from bespoke race units, which can cost upwards of $10,000... I'm only mentioning it because some smartass is bound to "correct" me... but for all intents and purposes, there are no 6 speed transmissions available for street use for any sane CB owner.) If you want a 6 speed, you'll have to swap in an engine that rotates clockwise, such as the K series (covered in a fair amount of detail on here), or the J series (V6, not covered in much detail... only been done a few times, and I still have yet to see video of one driving normally.)
                      If you want shorter gears, swap to a transmission found in a Prelude Si or VTEC (avoid the ATTS units found in the Prelude SH... they don't fit in our cars.)

Many of your questions could have been answered by a quick search, reading the stickies, or simply looking at your car and rubbing a few brain cells together. For a more effective search (until we change what we have here), you can go to Google and type whatever you're looking for, followed by site:cb7tuner.com. That will search only this site, much more effectively than the vBulletin search feature.
                      We are more than happy to help you, but you will find in the future that if anyone here feels they're working harder to help you than you are to help yourself, the replies will cease to be as friendly... and the helpful people will begin to ignore you. There are 12 years worth of valuable information on this forum, and many of the people that put it together over those years are still here. You would be doing yourself a great disservice by letting them think you are too lazy to bother helping.

Welcome to the site.

Comment

Working...
                      X