Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Head/Intake swap f22a1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head/Intake swap f22a1

So I'm getting ready to do a head/intake swap on my f22a1. the intake manifold is from an h23 and I've got a 68mm throttle body. The head is from an F22a1 but I've cleaned up that ports, polished the exhaust and lapped the valves. I've got all new gaskets and o-rings and a delta ground 272 cam to install.

What I'm wondering is if there is anything I should be prepared for or look out for. Do I need a special grease or sealant? So far the only thing I think I've missed is the Dowel Pins, which I will hopefully get today or early next week. I was planning on assembling everything to the new head and then swapping it over as one unit. Would this be a good way to do this?

I have my Haynes Manual and the internet so I think I should be able to succeed, but I am pretty new to car mechanics and this CB7.
    Bought from: Night Wolf, bassrock234, sonikaccord, 904drACCORDMANG

92 Accord, F23a franken-engine, N/A forever.

The Haynes manual is pretty basic. Might be enough for you, but I'd strongly advise getting a Helm manual, which is the official Honda shop manual. Everything you need to know is in there. What tools to use, torque specs, part numbers, etc...

You can even download a digital copy of it in the Files section of the CB7tuner Facebook group (which is a pretty terrible place, to be honest... but the file can be hosted there without any real issues... whereas I won't host it or link directly to it on this forum.) Still, a hard copy of the book is far more useful than a digital copy!

Comment

Hopefully, Delta sent you some cam lube. If not, you definitely need some. And Web Cam wanted me to keep the engine rpm above 2000 rpm for the first 20 minutes of operation.

You also might want to take the rocker arms apart and clean everything up and relubricate.

Comment

Should he be using F22A6 springs with a more aggressive cam?
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I was wondering about the springs too but according to Delta, the stock springs are fine with the 272 grind.

Also, my local auto parts store didnt have "cam lube", but in the haynes manual it says the moly lube can be used, which I have.

I downloaded the manual from the facebook group page but its missing the index! does anyone have the index pages? It's tough to search through a 1000+ page PDF that you can't use the search function with.

Comment

I used assembly lube when I installed my 272. Also, during the "break in" process, not only do you keep it at 2k for 15 mins, you need to have the valves at .008 and .010 before you go to the recommended .006 & .008.
            Originally posted by Mishakol129
            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
              you need to have the valves at .008 and .010 before you go to the recommended .006 & .008.
              Web cams wanted me to use 0.007" for intake and 0.008" for exhaust after the initial breakin.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                I used assembly lube when I installed my 272. Also, during the "break in" process, not only do you keep it at 2k for 15 mins, you need to have the valves at .008 and .010 before you go to the recommended .006 & .008.
                Thanks for that! Hopefully I will get my dowel pins early next week and will be able to put this all together.

Tomorrow I will be assembling the head, all my parts a ready.

One thing is, I haven't ordered my sensor and ostrich for my P06 ecu yet so I wont be hooking up the IAB's yet. Will I have any problems with this? Or just less power at low RPM?

Comment

Originally posted by dwhacks View Post
                  One thing is, I haven't ordered my sensor and ostrich for my P06 ecu yet so I wont be hooking up the IAB's yet. Will I have any problems with this? Or just less power at low RPM?
                  No problem. You can run a vacuum line direct from the intake manifold to the IAB control diaphragm for the time being. It's not ideal, as the secondaries will open at WOT at low engine rpm and you will lose some torque/power. But they will at least stay closed during part throttle operation.

Comment

I got my head and intake installed last night. Going to do a once over and fill the coolant and start it up after work today! Thanks for the help!

Comment

So since the throttle body and sensor are brand new, how do I set them up? I can't get a very steady idle. Some times it hunts around and sometimes it idles ok.

I tried to set my TPS at .45v but can only get it down to .6v. I guess I will have to elongate the holes a bit more to spin it. Or is there a "safe" zone that I am within?

What about the throttle body butterfly, how do I set that in the right place? The small allen screw and lock nut were loose when I got it. I couldnt find any guides online as I don't really know what I would call it.

Other then that, everything is golden.

Comment

Well I've been fiddling around and googling like a mad man and I can't seem to get my idle. Sometimes it idles ok for a while, and then it start pulsing up for one second and down for one second and so on.

It seams to be related to the IACV as far as I can guess. But I dont know if ive got the throttle body butterfly set screw in the right place. I've tried adjusting the TPS for 4.5v WOT and .48v idle but I can Never get below 4.7v WOT. These are the only voltages I've found so thats what I've tried to set.

I have tried disconnecting the IACV and then adjusting the idle with the throttle body idle screw and then pulling the fuse, waiting ten seconds, re connecting the IACV and the fuse and starting up. The car will start high idle and come down and move around a bit and then find a stead spot. Then if I open the throttle when I let it down again it goes into the jumping one second up and down state.

Parts are:
                        h23 intake manifold (complete)
                        h23 IACV
                        phearable 68mm throttle body (so I have no FITV)
                        f22a1 head
                        Delta 272 regrind

Any ideas? Would love some help!

Comment

Working...
                        X