Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How do I get the climate controls out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get the climate controls out?

I have a 92 Accord LX (US) sedan. The mix knob on the climate control panel is broken. I think the linkage between the knob and the actual controls inside is what's broken, but I'd have to look at it to be sure.

How the hell do I get this thing out of the dash? I can't see where I would begin taking it out, and I've not found any instructions for taking this stuff apart beyond the stereo. It looks like the bezel would have to come off to get the climate control unit out, and that goes across like half the dash.

Anyone got step-by-step instructions for this? Or at least some tips on how to start?

First thing to do is make sure it is not just the knob (which is fairly typical). Pull the knob straight out, then look at the back side. The stub shaft that engages the metal D pin in the control is plastic with a metal clip inside. Look for cracks in the knob stub shaft.

The mix knob controls a cable that goes to the lower right side of the mixing box and moves a number of levers, including another cable that goes to the water mixing valve (I had this one disengage on my 92 EX so I couldn't control the temperature). Look here also before taking things apart.

If you need to replace the unit, the bezel has to come off. Many of the screws are behind switches and vents. Look at an exploded view on Majestic's site (sorry, I'd write more, but gotta head out to church).
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

The way it moves, I'm pretty sure it's not just the knob, I am pretty certain it's a linkage coming off the knob...but it pulls straight off you say? I guess I should try that.

And if it isn't...well, at least I don't feel as stupid as I thought I would since it turns out it's going to be as complicated as I feared.

Comment

check the back side of the knob first as they fail all the time

The climate control box is held in by 4 screws located behind the bezel, which will have to be removed if you want it out. Check out the dash removal procedure first and if you run into any issues come back here and I can walk you through it, you'll probably want a short handle phillips for the screws behind the ash tray and over the dash.

The linkage runs out from behind the center console to the passenger foot well, its tucked up close just to the left of the glove box. The connection goes from Heater Knob > Heat Blend Door > Water Mixing Valve. There's also yet another connection on the opposite side of the firwall that actually operates the water mix valve, looking in your engine bay it's behind/below the intake plenum in one of the two hoses that run into your heater core

if you don't see any disconnected components come back here and I will help you troubleshoot (once you describe your issue, no heat?)

Comment

Let me add that it WON'T be as complex as you fear, and there are a ton of resources on here if you're feeling overwhelmed.

Comment

Well, shit, it was just the knob.

I assumed it wasn't because it turned and then would stick...I was thinking the knob was just a piece of plastic, like an oven knob. Nope, it's more than one piece, it behaved the way it did because the little metal bracket inside broke loose.

Thanks for the tip. This simplifies things.

Comment

Working...
            X