Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

titanium or steel retainers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

titanium or steel retainers

Im taking my head to the machine shop and im going to talk to them about the parts I need replaced. First of all im running a p13 head on a h23a1 block 5spd. I have stock rebuilt short block thats awaiting its rebuilt head. Im going to ask the guy to take a couple thousands off the surface of the head but how much? Awaiting your input. Are titanium or steel retainers the things to get as well, and which one??? What about valve spings?? Lifters??? Idk I need help and light with this build!! Thanks EVERYONE!!

well it depends what you are planning on doing with your build. Usually the titanium seams to be recommended for super high RPM applications. With a lighter weight moving mass it is easier for the springs to close the valves faster avoiding valve float. But even this is probably only important if you are running above 8k regularly.

As for the milling of the head, what I've read from searching this forum is you can have about 0.030" milled off or you can remove one layer from your head gasket and that should bump the compression up.
    Bought from: Night Wolf, bassrock234, sonikaccord, 904drACCORDMANG

92 Accord, F23a franken-engine, N/A forever.

Comment

Milling the head is risky. If throws timing off a bit, and if you ever do damage to the head in the future, you may not have enough material for the shop to remove. The head will be scrap. If you want to raise compression, do it with domed pistons.

Comment

wow!

Never knew about timing would be thrown off once the head is milled. And for the head gasket mod, is it reliable? And the highest rpm my motor will see is 7k-7500 max.

Comment

Timing can be adjusted by installing adjustable cam gear(s). Although it would be best have the engine tuned if you install adjustable cam gears. And you do have to worry a bit more about valve interference with a milled head and adjustable cam gears, especially if you install a high lift/duration cam.

Comment

thanks

Havent thought of putting the adj. Cam gears. Ill look into that.

Comment

buy the parts and let a shop do it. bounce your numbers off them (how much you want milled/head gasket options etc) or youll need to invest in a rig like this and the hours of learning wtf's going on. if you have a steep learning curve more power to you, but some specialty tools you use once arent worth it.

Comment

intriguing

I had no idea with these adj cam gears and how intricate they are. But now I have to get at my machine shop. Thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
                X