Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

plastic vs aluminum radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plastic vs aluminum radiator

We bought a 91 Accord with a cracked radiator. We're torn between buying a stock plastic replacement or going with the aluminum one for 30$ more. Worried the plastic one will just crack again... It's just a stock daily driver, no plans to ever mod it. What's your input?
    Thanks!

It took 24 years for the stock plastic-capped radiator to crack...

Comment

Good point Deev.

Stock replacement will be fine.

Out of curiosity, did you check the freezing point of the coolant recently? It's the first thing that comes to mind considering how cold it's been recently.

Comment

It looks like it was replaced shortly before I bought it. I'm guessing the factory didn't use hose clamps that were the wrong size...when I replaced the timing belt and water pump I refilled it with 75&#37; straight coolant, 25% water.
        I didn't know the radiator was cracked when I bought it, but when I was jacking it up to put it on Jack stands to do the timing belt, I noticed there was coolant on the floor from sitting overnight.
        Last edited by cheapaccord; 01-15-2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Ah, so I guess it didn't last 24 years!

A quality OEM replacement should last just fine. Can't go wrong with a good all-aluminum, but it's not really necessary.

Comment

I was told that the issue with using all-aluminum radiators in a daily driver, is they aren't built for daily street use, and will crack where the inlet and outlet join to the tanks.
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I wonder how much of that is due to them being aluminum, and how much is due to shoddy welds and low quality metal.

I also wonder what Honda's reason for using plastic was. It may have been a cost issue, or it may have been better from a performance/longevity standpoint.

Comment

In my humble opinion go with the aluminium.

I believe the plastic tops were introduced for cost reduction purposes and weight reduction.

Bear in mind material costs were very different and aluminum was more expensive then than today.

I was told plastic tops were there to also allow removal, cleaning and reconditioning purposes. I don't buy that as who pays to have it overhauled these days unless it was the honest idea until dropping replacement costs made that idea defunct.

Unless its an original Honda the quality of plastics would be questionable. No doubt I agre an original Honda radiator would last 20 years or more as I can vouch for that, provided it has been maintained well.

However keep in mind oem rad caps may not fit in the aluminum and getting a replacement could be difficult, from my experience my oem cap does not fit the aluminum. So losing the cap or it breaking due to poor quality may spell another radiator purchase and install.

Just some thoughts.
                Rides:

Accord
                92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  I wonder how much of that is due to them being aluminum, and how much is due to shoddy welds and low quality metal.

I also wonder what Honda's reason for using plastic was. It may have been a cost issue, or it may have been better from a performance/longevity standpoint.
                  Or a combination of any of the following:

poor non oem hose material binding on the inlet and outlets,
                  poor maintenance by daily driving ownerw requiring more frequent removals leading to more flexing
                  poor workmanship due to back yard jobs or mechanic

Leading to blaming the radiator build quality, but then again a non oem radiator quality can vary greatly.

My aluminium radiator is currently going on 4 years no issues.
                  Rides:

Accord
                  92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                  96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                  88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                  92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                  95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                  92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                  91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                  91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                  91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                  91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

Originally posted by cheapaccord View Post
                    It looks like it was replaced shortly before I bought it.
                    A fractured fairly new radiator would have me wondering about the system pressure. Is it substantially too high? If so, is the head gasket OK...? Just questions I think you should be asking, I'm not saying you definitely have a blown gasket.
                    Regards from Oz,
                    John.

Comment

oem is the way to go honestly...aftermarket aluminum radiators have fitment issues sometimes...ex. return hose hookup is too far...inlet and outlet do not match the engine...issues vary
                      F22B1 Swap. #StanceNation

91' Accord Project

Paint is custom faded. (Love the Frankenstein look!)

Comment

I just went through this. First of all don't go to advance auto for a radiator! Second go to Auto Zone or Pep boy's for a radiator they both have Spectra radiators and the quality is great for the price trust me you won't regret it

Comment

I love my Mishimoto. It also has a lifetime warranty, to include accidents.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                          JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Working...
                          X