Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Turbo question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo question

F22a1 2.2L can i put a .48mm turbo on it stock everything, I need help because I'm basically getting the turbo for free and I wanna put it on my 91 if i run low psi do ya'll think it would be okay..?

It will be ok until it's not ok.
    If this is your daily, don't do it...If you can swap engines like that, then I'd say go for it.

What is a .48mm turbo?? Do you have a part number so you can look up the specs?

Do you know what is involved in turboing a vehicle?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

yeah man i messed up on that 48mm turbo lol.. uh its actually pretty small, well pretty small but it came with things needed.. um you know what here ill post pictures..

it says A/R .48 m10 and what looks like the number 1.

Comment

That is a small A/R ratio. It will look like it would be great for low end power/torque, but you will have a heater at higher rpms. What's your end goal and budget?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

that looks like it would be perfect my buddy had one of those on his saab and i put it on his 93 with an a1 that had 200k and it was fun at 6psi and one day he called and said to come over and watch this and his gauge said 13psi and then boom lol but ya i think if you good it all good the right way i think a good 4-6 psi will be good for 50k dont beat on it tho take care of it. good luck keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7dd View Post
            that looks like it would be perfect my buddy had one of those on his saab and i put it on his 93 with an a1 that had 200k and it was fun at 6psi and one day he called and said to come over and watch this and his gauge said 13psi and then boom lol but ya i think if you good it all good the right way i think a good 4-6 psi will be good for 50k dont beat on it tho take care of it. good luck keep us posted.
            False.

You've already stated what you've experienced personally, so why would you encourage someone to intentionally compromise their engine? This may be the OP's only form of transportation. For him he may not have the chance to "have a little fun". One boost spike and he's possibly walking.
            '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
            If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

i was saying that he can run this set up at low psi but if he boosts above 8 or so it will begin to fry. i understand it may be his dd but if he doesnt beat on it he will be good for a while but if he shows it off and acts tough and pushes the turbo then he is toast.

Comment

The key words in your statement are "awhile". "Awhile" means for an unspecified time but surely will end at some point. We don't endorse that here. We preach tried and true, reliable setups. "Awhile" could be 6 months, "awhile" could also be 6 hours.
                '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by cb7dd View Post
                  i was saying that he can run this set up at low psi but if he boosts above 8 or so it will begin to fry. i understand it may be his dd but if he doesnt beat on it he will be good for a while but if he shows it off and acts tough and pushes the turbo then he is toast.
                  He could run it at low psi and blow his rings.
                  He could run it at low psi and last for 50k miles.

Honestly, 5 psi from that small of a turbo wouldn't be worth the hassle, imo. You still have to get piping, tuning, injectors, intercooler, various maintenance items. It's going to be at least 1k. Tuning is going to be the expensive part. Then why have a turbo setup up if you have to be gentle with it? I want something I can romp on and not have to worry about things breaking. That alone increases the driving experience.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

On stock internals, it's just a matter of time before the ring lands give out. As said, it could be a while... it could be tomorrow. This is a 20+ year old engine we're talking about. I've seen brand new pistons directly from Honda blow in 6 months after being boosted. The guy that built it was experienced in building turbo engines, and he worked as a Honda tech. He was no noob. The turbo was properly sized, the tune was good, he didn't beat on it... and those brand new pistons lasted 6 months.

How long do you think your 24 year old pistons are going to last?

It is also important to understand turbo sizing. A turbo that is too small will generate a LOT of heat. Not to mention the fact that you'll be in boost while driving at normal RPMs, adding additional strain. Your best bet is to use a turbo that doesn't really start to spool until 3000rpm or so. It will do less damage to your engine, and it will save a ton of fuel.

Comment

okay so its a dd but i have 5 other cars i can drive from, the hondas just my baby.. no ones really came to a conclusion as to whether i should or shouldnt do it yet so i need answers guys lol

Comment

We told you what you can expect. It's up to you to decide if you want to risk it or not.
                        Do you mind blowing it up?

Comment

Comment

Yes, you should do it. Make sure you post a build log for us to follow, too!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                              Yes, you should do it. Make sure you post a build log for us to follow, too!
                              Maybe a rebuild blog in a few days / weeks...

Judging by the apparent inlet and output port sizes, that turbo at least looks to be on the small side for a 2.2 litre engine. As a rough comparison the turbo on our Saab (that blows about 6psi) looks significantly larger than that one, and the Saab engine is only 100cc larger than the Accord engine.

If it is actually as small as it appears in the photo, at least it would be unlikely to be have much lag, though an overly small turbo might become a restriction at higher rpm. It's conceivable that a restrictive turbo would improve bottom end / mid range power, but strangle the engine at higher rpm, so there might be less high rpm power than stock?
                              Regards from Oz,
                              John.

Comment

Working...
                              X