Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

rear end suspension/alignment problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear end suspension/alignment problems

Hello all!

I haven't posted much on the forum, however I have posted on the Facebook page.

I have done some mods to my cb - 91 Accord Ex 5spd f22a4, mods are as followed - megan racing full exhaust(headers , downpipe , testpipe , s-pipe , and tip) - CD5 gray leather interior - Sunroof visor (oem) - ebay black housed corner and bumber signals (sonar brand?) - Alpine type e 6x9's , Alpine type s 5.25's , Sony xplod head unit , Memphis 16ST1000D amp , Scosche 6ga wire - and I think that's about it , nothing major.

So , now to the problem. Last night I was coming around a corner at a decent speed on a wet area and slid into a couple parking blocks. I drove home and inspected the area effected - the rear passenger side wheel - I didn't see anything terrible.

Today i jacked it up on what i thought was the sub-frame (same spot i always jack it up on) and it pushed a dent/mound into the floorboard , that's the least of my worries right now. What i am bothered by right now is the fact that my wheel is toe'd out. The part towards the front of the car is sitting outside of the wheel well , while the rear part is further inside the wheel well.

I went to an autoparts store since all the shops are closes because it's sunday. The guy at advanced said he thinks it's the control arms , the sway bar , or the tow bar.

I will post pics after I post this , I have to go outside and take pictures with my camera still , all the ones I have are on my iPod.

Thanks in advanced. - Josh

http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/JF...?sort=2&page=1

Comment

that sucks.

drive safer.

oh..what it could be? trailing arm, control arm..snapped toe bolt..who knows, jack it up take of the wheel and have a looksie. take it to an alignment place with free checks theyll be able to tell you what the exact problem is
      Last edited by illinois_erik; 10-19-2014, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Something is bent (obviously). Hopefully it is only your control/toe arm and not the frame.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
          Something is bent (obviously). Hopefully it is only your control/toe arm and not the frame.
          Check the link i posted , it has pics - http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/JF...?sort=2&page=1

Comment

Yep, bent arm. How's the upper arm look? Do you have slight camber as well?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
              Yep, bent arm. How's the upper arm look? Do you have slight camber as well?
              Which arm is bent?

Comment

Originally posted by JFISHTHECREATOR View Post
                Which arm is bent?
                The impact will most probably have been an 'inward' impact, which will have placed one control arm in compression and the other in tension. It's more likely that the compressive forces bent a control arm than a tensile force 'unbent' a control arm (though the arms are not straight from the factory, so it's possible for the spec 'bend' to be 'pulled' 'straight').

You have toe-out, so my guess is that the rear control arm is bent (so is effectively shorter), but this doesn't preclude the front control arm also being 'unbent' (effectively longer than it should be). There is also some possibility that the long attachment bolt that attaches both control arms to the bottom of the 'upright' (or 'knuckle', or whatever it may be called in different countries) may also be bent, but this should be obvious when you're disassembling the suspension.

I very much doubt that you would have a damaged upper control arm from the sort of impact you describe, but can't guarantee that you don't. If you do then it would affect the camber angle, but not the toe.
                Regards from Oz,
                John.

Comment

still cant pin point problem

can anybody help me?

Comment

More pictures might help out see if any local shops can do a free look at it act nice because most places won't help unless they can somehow make a buck off of you
                    " Insert funny quote here "

Comment

try lifting the rear of the car (both rear wheels off the ground) and look under it and compare both sides to see which part is exactly bent.

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
                      "2SIIC"
                      Authentic Jerseys for sale
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

I went to the junkyard and got a lower control arm for the right rear. I am going to replace that and come back with my results.

Comment

Sucks, hope you get it fixed.

Next time, don't lift mid corner, its what caused you to oversteer. Obviously, you shouldn't have been going that fast in the firstplace.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisnick View Post
                            Sucks, hope you get it fixed.

Next time, don't lift mid corner, its what caused you to oversteer. Obviously, you shouldn't have been going that fast in the firstplace.
                            Yea , it was pretty stupid of me. However the control arm i got fixed the problem. I just need to get a 4 wheel alignment now.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
                              The impact will most probably have been an 'inward' impact, which will have placed one control arm in compression and the other in tension. It's more likely that the compressive forces bent a control arm than a tensile force 'unbent' a control arm (though the arms are not straight from the factory, so it's possible for the spec 'bend' to be 'pulled' 'straight').

You have toe-out, so my guess is that the rear control arm is bent (so is effectively shorter), but this doesn't preclude the front control arm also being 'unbent' (effectively longer than it should be). There is also some possibility that the long attachment bolt that attaches both control arms to the bottom of the 'upright' (or 'knuckle', or whatever it may be called in different countries) may also be bent, but this should be obvious when you're disassembling the suspension.

I very much doubt that you would have a damaged upper control arm from the sort of impact you describe, but can't guarantee that you don't. If you do then it would affect the camber angle, but not the toe.
                              I replaced the rear control arm and it fixed it! thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X