Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Tuning my own turbo setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning my own turbo setup

So I rebuilt my stock motor (f22A4) and I admittedly screwed up the assembly. So to bounce back from that I chose to drop in an F23A vtec from Japan into my car. I realize that there isnt much for performance in that swap but my money was the motivating factor. As i was almost done with the swap I decided to blow caution to the wind and turbo the stock motor. Here is a list of what I have going so far...

F23A engine
    F22A4 intake manifold
    Custom made adapter plate for intake manifold
    EGR delete
    Catch can
    Ebay turbo kit running 7psi
    Turbo specs are: .57 compressor, A/R compressor .50, A/R Turbine .63
    Custom 3" to 2.5" SS catback exhaust
    Cat Delete
    Narrow band O2 sensor (for now)
    p06 to p28 ecu conversion
    stock h2u5 transmission
    DIY gasket matched throttle body
    Integra half size racing radiator

I am just wanting to make this a dd with a conservative tune. And I would like to do the work myself. I have done the wiring and welding and the custom parts all myself and I would like to continue that trend if possible.

I am getting close to starting and running this motor, and I will be having a basemap for my initial tune on my ecu but I need to tune it. I plan on using crome to tune with. Any advice on how to do this and what to look out for would be greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by SimplyJDM90CB7; 08-11-2014, 05:30 PM.

I would get injectors and a bigger fuel pump and either chip your ecu or get an emulator. You can run a base map, but thats only good for start up and mild driving until you get a full tune. Ebay kits also have weak bov diaphragms and you better hope you got a oil pressure restrictor so you dont blow the seals of the turbo.

Comment

Don't start your car without a wideband O2 or a way to monitor your engines combustion/AFRs.

Tune your engine without the turbo hooked up first as well. A basemap may not get you in the ballpark for boost tables. You want to tune your boost columns from scratch on top of a good solid tune on the base engine.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

BackRoadCB7: I have a oil filter adapter that is reduced into a 1/4" feed line. on the turbo the kit came with an adapter that looks almost like an injector. Is that what your talking about?

GhostAccord: I can get a wideband O2 np. By "unhooking the turbo" you mean just unhooking the intercooler piping and tuning with that first?

Sorry this is the first time I have turboed anything, however I have personally owned and worked on 4 hondas so far. I have tried to read as much as possible before asking questions. Just kinda hard to find every question online.

BTW: Thank you for your help. I really appreciate the info.

Comment

Yes that's what I meant. Disconnect the turbo from the intake/throttle body opening. You can have the turbo installed and have all the piping routed, just don't put boost to the engine right away.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

ok i appreciate that info. now as for tuning my ecu on my own doing a street tune method... and suggestions?

Comment

Why not run the F23A intake manifold?

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

I didnt run the stock manifold because I bought an F23A from japan and it is obd2. it didnt have all the same connectors and i didnt have the wiring harness to pull all the connectors from. so my car already had all the connectors for the stock manifold. it may have been complicated but maybe it will give a little bit more power out of it. who knows lol

Comment

So im going to be ordering 550cc injectors and doing the wiring to take out the resistor box soon. I will be using a walbro 255lph fuel pump and upgrading my fuel filter and ill be getting a wideband o2 sensor. Today ill be getting the turbo timer wired in and ill be using it mainly as a a/f guage. The car is almost ready to start just waiting on my p06 ecu to come in with all the chipping stuff. Ill be doing my own chipping.

So if anyone can help me understand how to do the tuning on my ecu that would be awesome! I will be getting a basemap from phearable. i already have crome and that is what i will be using to do the tuning.

Comment

As it was before the swap

Comment

This is as of a few weeks ago.

Comment

If you are tuning with crome, do the reading on pgmfi.org. They have answers to almost every question you will have. If you are using crome free, download a program called freelog for datalogging. You will need a way to datalog from the computer. Moates.net has a logger called hulog or hondalog, they both work. And you need to get an emulator or a chip burner.

Comment

Thanks man i appreciate the info. Ive actually been reading up on pgmfi.org. I now have a question about the oil pressure switch and the other sensor on the back of the motor. They Are like an inch apart but i dont know what the other sensor is. Anyone know what it is?

Comment

Takes some guts to tune your own setup, very interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by SimplyJDM90CB7 View Post
                              Thanks man i appreciate the info. Ive actually been reading up on pgmfi.org. I now have a question about the oil pressure switch and the other sensor on the back of the motor. They Are like an inch apart but i dont know what the other sensor is. Anyone know what it is?
                              It is more than likely that you are seeing a knock sensor! It is usually the only other Honda sensor found up higher on the back side (under the intake manifold).

You probably won't want to use the stock one on a boosted setup. Unless you are going to be using it to monitor knock through tuning software and not to automatically adjust timing through the ECU.
                              MR Thread
                              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X