Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Too boost or not too boost? That is the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too boost or not too boost? That is the question.

I have a 1990 CB7 5spd f22a1 with a6 cam and full exhaust header back. I'm constantly back and forth about going all motor or turbo for my car. I have a few parts laying around: DSM turbo manifold, 550cc Chrysler injectors (srt4), starion stock front mount, volvo tdoh14 turbo with only 50k on it but the flange doesn't match to anything but volvo and a 16g with a frank 20g wheel that is in serious need of a rebuild and hot side.. I just want a fun car that I can daily drive and still be my family car. Not looking to break world records. Around 200hp and I'd be happy. Id like to keep my a/c if possible. So I guess im mainly looking for opinions on a route to take and suggestions to go along with it. Im not a newb to cars and ive built a boosted d16 ef hatch before. So feel free to leave comments etc. Below, thanks

You'll need a custom manifold to keep your AC. It can be done, but it won't be cheap (unless you're capable of building it yourself.)

You'll need to install forged pistons if you want the engine to last. Install a turbo on stock pistons, and you'll be lucky to get a few months out of it before you break a ring land.

If you've already boosted a Honda, I assume you're familiar with the ECU tuning requirements, and what is involved.

Comment

Yes I am familiar with tuning requirements and what all needs to be done. I've also read that the F22 bottom ends pistons included are pretty strong and can handle 200hp builds without a problem. Ring lands only become a problem with excessive boost.

Comment

A lot of people have heard that. It is false.
        If the car is a toy that you don't rely on to get to work or school, and you can afford to blow it up, then by all means take the risk. Otherwise, get forged pistons. The stock sleeves will be fine for your plans.

Comment

Ok thank you for the clarification.

Comment

How obtainable with all motor build could I have a reliable 175-200whp.

Comment

Very obtainable
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194051

Check out number 1

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Ok awesome thank you

Comment

A DSM turbo can be had and for cheaper if you decide to boost it. 13g's are usually dirt cheap and 14b's are just a little more. If you're lucky a S16g can be found for cheap sometimes too. Just stay away from any 16g's that are fakes. They usually don't last. If you're only going for 200ish HP, I'd go with a 13g, or 14b. They spool quick. And you could just go with a stock DSM side mount also as one of those two turbo's with be fine with that.

Comment

The 14b was once THE turbo to use around here. Then, for a long time, we were convinced that it was too small, and produced too much heat. Then a member (toycar) came along and explained in very specific detail why the 14b is a perfect size for the F22A.

So I definitely agree with that suggestion if you're on a budget. Still go with forged internals, though.

Honestly, to do it right, it's going to cost you about the same to get 200whp N/A or turbo. Both will need internals. Both will need a tune. The cost of a good turbo setup will come close to the cost of headwork and a good camshaft (necessary for 200whp N/A, but not for turbo.)

The side mount is iffy, though. The CB7's bumper wasn't designed to flow air to an intercooler in the fender area, so it won't cool as well as it did on the intended vehicle. I'd stick with a front mount. The Starion front mount is a decent choice. I actually had one of those for a kit I built (but never installed... stuffed the car into a wall before I got around to it.)

Comment

Ok thank you again for the responses. I know also if I do go the turbo route and use a dsm turbo, that the o2 housing and downlipe can be modified easily to work with our cars. Yet, I'm kinda leaning towards a N/A set up at the moment.

Comment

If you change your mind and think turbo again, I believe Treadstone still makes a full kit for us. It's not the greatest stuff, but it's a nice, clean, easy kit full of brand new parts that's made to fit. Takes some of the guesswork out of it, and it will look better than a slapped-together kit. They run about $2000, though (give or take, depending on selected options.)

Comment

Ok and I take it thats simply treadstone.com?

Comment

Nevermind I found it. Treadstoneperformance.com

Comment

sorry but i have to......

my new turbo build

Comment

Working...
                              X