Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Bogging Down While Accelerating? Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogging Down While Accelerating? Help?

I have a 93 prelude with the h23a1. When I accelerate the engine bogs down. Any tips?

EGR system, map sensor, O2 sensor, ignition system, fuel system.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I checked the plugs and the tips are almost white.

Comment

A little more info. The car starts and idles fine, but when I mash the gas it just instantly bogs down and misses. I checked the plugs and they are white at the tips, new plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by DIRTGUY14 View Post
          A little more info. The car starts and idles fine, but when I mash the gas it just instantly bogs down and misses. I checked the plugs and they are white at the tips, new plugs.
          Like Sonik said check your O2 censor it can cause problems like that believe it or not. (Misfire issues ect) But. I would also take out each spark plug and check them for gas/oil on them just to be on the safe side. Looking at the tips isn't really enough. Hope this helps.
          Originally posted by cb9love
          when all the cali cb's get forced off the road send em back too Ohio, we will still run them cats or not.

Comment

Originally posted by DIRTGUY14 View Post
            Is it actually drivable or does it bog and miss so badly you can't? Specific RPM range? Last time a tune up was done?

Similar issue with my car - +1 on o2 sensor, mines in the mail now..

Another suggestion, timing..

Pop vTec

Comment

My cb did a similar thing a few years ago. I disconnected the o2 sensor and drove it around for a few days and the problem stopped. Ended up ordering a new one and the problem was permanently fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Xclusive1 View Post
                My cb did a similar thing a few years ago. I disconnected the o2 sensor and drove it around for a few days and the problem stopped. Ended up ordering a new one and the problem was permanently fixed.
                I did the same thing and it never threw a check engine light..
                I'm replacing it and getting ready for an inevitable re-wire

Pop vTec

Comment

Failing o2 sensors don't always throw a code. Often, when a code is thrown, it's Code 43... and it happens at highway speeds (around 55mph). The CEL usually stays off when you restart the car.

A failing o2 sensor will cause bogging like you say, though. Replace it with a Denso or NTK sensor (NO BOSCH!) Be sure you get the proper one for your car, as the plugs and location of sensors will vary between the F22A1 and F22A4/6.
                  If it's not the problem, then you're ahead of the game. o2 sensors are wear items, and they'll need replacing eventually anyway.

Comment

White spark plug tips usually indicate that your engine is running lean .

Comment

Depends on what he means by white. If the metal tip is chalky and white, absolutely. If the ceramic part is "almost white", then that's about right for new plugs.

Comment

You are correct Sir ^^^^ / It would be nice to see a picture of the spark plugs.

Comment

The plugs are brand new, I changed them as soon as it started to act up. The metal tips are a dry white. My prelude is actually a dirt track race car so there is no way to tell if it runs well under normal situations, I only drive in 2nd and 3rd gears on the track. I can cruise around on pace laps and it seems ok, but as soon as I get on the gas when the race goes green it bogs down. I am not allowed to post any pictures yet..

So if the tips indicate that the engine is running lean, what are your suggestions?

Comment

Post a picture of the plugs if you can. It'll help us diagnose the issue.

What ECU are you running? Any major mods done (anything beyond intake, header, and exhaust in this case)? What RPM do you normally hold it at, and for how long?
                            To find out how lean you are running, you'd do well to hook up a wideband o2 sensor.

The current o2 sensor, if it is failing, can cause issues as well. The ECU will be fueling according to preset fuel maps, rather than o2 sensor feedback. Therefore, the ECU would have no idea whether or not you are running rich or lean, and will be unable to adjust the mixture accordingly.

Is your CEL coming on at all? Is it functional?

Comment

Unfortunately the forum isnt allowing me to post attachments yet. The engine and computer are stock. I do not have a functional dash and cluster so there is no CEL to see, nor is there a way to know what the RPM's are. But I do know that I try to crank it as hard as I can to all but reach the rev limiter by the end of the straight away under normal running comditions in the race.

Comment

Working...
                              X