Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F23 swap into 92 accord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F23 swap into 92 accord

First post.
    My names Mike and a week ago my step father gave me his 92 accord. On the way back home the timing belt broke I had to get it towed. Put it all back together and the valves were bent a little so it ran like shit. Drove it around for a couple days until I found a f23 that I bought for dirt cheap and only has 120K on it. Opened it all up and checked it out. This isn't my first rodeo. Well now I have the the new clutch installed and the old 5 spd trani mated and waiting to go in tomorrow. I was wondering what ecu to use to make vtec work correctly and I want to keep it obd1 and I would like to be able to use the body harness thats already in the car. One of my friends suggested a p13 prelude ecu
    from 94 and 95 would work. This is my first honda so any extra info would be great.

Don't listen to your friends. The ECU you want is the P0A from the 1994-1995 Accord EX. That car had the F22B1 which is very similar to the F23A1 only having slightly less displacement and lower compression ratio.

If any modifications are planned, you can get a P28 from a 1992-1995 Civic EX/Si and have it chipped and tuned for the F23A1.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

^x2

The VTEC engagement point, fuel and ignition maps of a P13 ECU would not perform very well with the economy minded VTEC of the F23. I second the 94-95 P0A ECU (F22B1).
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Awesome. Thanks guys. I've searched quite a bit about the f23 and I've come to the conclusion that no one really swaps it into their accord that often.

I got the motor and trans in today and it was a sob. It sits nicely as if it was stock. I'm trying to keep the f22 intake but the exhaust manifold has to be swapped even though the f22's exhaust mani is way more beefy.
        Looks like I'm off to the junkyard some time in the next week to find the correct ecu.

I drove the car a couple years back for work it had some GO for what it was. I cant wait to see what it's gonna feel like now.

Comment

The F22A intake manifold is far from ideal for the F23A engine. Use the intake manifold from a '94-'97 Accord so that you can use the same style 2-wire IACV.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Few draw backs to using the '94-'97 F22B1/2 intake manifolds are that the plenums are smaller in volume, the runner length is not tuned for the F23 and the throttle bodies are also 2mm smaller than the F23. You can get a 2 wire IACV adapter plate for the F23 intake manifold for under $50. Well worth the money in the end!
            MR Thread
            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Will I still feel vtec with the poa ecu? Ive heard it's kind of weak sauce. I mated the intake from the f22a to the f23. Dont ask how I did it though.

Comment

We know how you got it on there. We also know that if you look at the intake manifold gaskets of both that you're creting a very bad disturbance in flow going from the large ports of the F22A to the small ports of the F23A.

"Feeling VTEC" is not quantifiable. VTEC is not intended to be performance-oriented in the F22B1 or F23A1. It's also irrelevant in terms of making power. If the engine is healthy and you remove the F22A intake manifold in favor of the F22B1 or F23A1/4 then you'll make somewhere around 145-150 at the flywheel.
                Last edited by Jarrett; 12-20-2014, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Well I drove it down to the exhaust shop with and open header but it was only a mile away. They welded in a down pipe to connect it all and then 30 minutes later a block away from my house he timing belt broke on the f23 . Got home and checked everything and the valves didnt hit. Thank god. Just another timing belt job. woo

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                    Don't listen to your friends. The ECU you want is the P0A from the 1994-1995 Accord EX. That car had the F22B1 which is very similar to the F23A1 only having slightly less displacement and lower compression ratio.

If any modifications are planned, you can get a P28 from a 1992-1995 Civic EX/Si and have it chipped and tuned for the F23A1.
                    6th gen guys say the h23 intake manifold will fit but its not the best fitment.

What ever the case is , more than likely you will find that the F22B1/B2 will have most of the parts you need for the conversion.
                    Its never really been documented with a DIY but seems like you need to modify the motor mount and the accessory brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeBloko View Post
                      Well I drove it down to the exhaust shop with and open header but it was only a mile away. They welded in a down pipe to connect it all and then 30 minutes later a block away from my house he timing belt broke on the f23 . Got home and checked everything and the valves didnt hit. Thank god. Just another timing belt job. woo
                      Damn bro; GL

Comment

installed the new timing belt and it runs fine......but when Im at an idle or stop there is an intermittent "crack" "tick" noise that doesnt really follow a pattern. I know it's not bearings and a friend of mine suggested it might be the water pump failing so the impeller is scraping the inside of the housing. I'm not sure at first it sounded like it was top end noise. So I removed the valve cover and checked everything and put it all back together and now it sounds like the noise is in the bottom end.
                        Please help, this car is driving me bonkers.

Comment

Took my pan off and there was nothing but fresh oil in it. So that definitely rules out bearings. Im confused as hell to say the least.

Comment

I replaced the water pump and reset the timing again. Except this time i didnt take the bolt of the back of the block to insert a pin in the rear balance shaft to line it up I just went off the the 5' o clock mark on the oil pump and it runs smoooooth. I can actually rev it to 6 grand now, but for some reason it make a clicky noise when I go in reverse but not foward. And it's still makes a tinny hollow clattery noise when I come to a stop and for some reason its sound like the exhaust is pinging when its warmed up.
                            Please any feedback would be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeBloko View Post
                              Awesome. Thanks guys. I've searched quite a bit about the f23 and I've come to the conclusion that no one really swaps it into their accord that often.
                              I realy swap F23a in CB
                              and ride it 2 years whis it inside

it works on its ECU - obd2
                              Just need to connect from inside harness fuel pump relay, speed sensor, signal from starter, tachometer from gauge cluster to ECU and off course power 12v whith ground ) to ECU

that's all

ECU for F23a is very rarity, but it is exist ))) (in Emirates and some countries)

japans ECU for F23a - ONLY FOR AUTO TRANS
                              and to use whith manual I made electrical impulse generator (based on 2 transistors, input voltage 5v - from ECU) - it make impulses to ecu, imitated that second shaft in auto trance is rotating! whithout it - NO VTEC!

All good in this way, but it have negative side - auto ECU dont engineered to case then motor have hard bolted to trance (via clutch), and car some times on low rpm on 1gear start to swing (shake)

ECU can correct AFR ratio, and my second experience -
                              I use obd2 ecu from 2litres sohc vtec F20b engine (manual trance) - It s work fine whis F23a
                              Last edited by TOL; 05-05-2014, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X