Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Stock shocks and lowering springs. why is it bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock shocks and lowering springs. why is it bad?

i keep seeing people saying that this setup is bad. it makes sense. but why? why exactly is it bad to lower your car on stock shocks? what about other things like lowering on cheaper shocks like gr2s or tokico blues? why are cheap springs bad? is it just because they could snap?

i dont mean to offend anyone but it seems like there are a lot of know it alls spouting off about suspension stuff but nobody explains the reasons behind it. can someone enlighten me please?

It's physics. The stock shock can't handle the forces lowering springs put on them and they eventually blow their seals.

Cheap shocks will blow their seals as well

Cheap springs supposedly have cheaper metal than name brand springs. They could break or be out of tolerance.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Look for springs that are ISO certified and use a sport style shock or strut that is meant for lowered springs if you have any questions ask here or call the manufacture I had a front spring crack on one coil on my cb7 I replaced with Moog OEM style replacements I don't need to lower my car as I usually keep a big girl or two in my car
      " Insert funny quote here "

Comment

Yes, the valving of the shock absorbers should be designed to match the spring rate, In your standard suspension they use relatively soft springs and valve rates for passenger comfort and to allow good weight transfer under braking.

Lowering springs however usually have stiffer spring rate than than your standard springs to allow for better cornering performance and less suspension travel.
        So now you've got stiff springs and soft shocks which as somebody else said can ruin the shock absorbers.

Generally speaking "sport" shocks have stiffer valving and are sometimes shorter stroke than standard ones to accomodate for the increaced spring rates.

Comment

like the first reply said, stock shocks are designed to have "X" amount of travel. when you take away that amount and replace it with something much smaller from the smaller more stiff spring you change the shocks inteded purpose, one they ride like shit and two they blow out. chance r they are already blown out anyways.

in the Gulf we have a rule, if you come across a shakle that says CHINA on it throw it over the side. china buys americas scrap metal, melts it down and makes new shit out of it. old, rusty, crappy metal is recycled into stuff like springs. ISO, international standards organization. if you see stuff made with this stamp on it you can almost rest assured its of good quality from the rigerous inspections they must pass on quality control.

Comment

Not to mention it places the shock body in the wrong area of operation. This where extended top hats come into play. But sport shocks will be preferable. You can use OEM shocks but they just won't last the typical 60,000 miles they are rated for. More like 1-2 years max.
            91 accord daily

Comment

Originally posted by AccRod91ex View Post
              Not to mention it places the shock body in the wrong area of operation. This where extended top hats come into play. But sport shocks will be preferable. You can use OEM shocks but they just won't last the typical 60,000 miles they are rated for. More like 1-2 years max.
              are you saying stock shocks are good for 1-2 years when lowered? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani Filth View Post
                are you saying stock shocks are good for 1-2 years when lowered? I don't think so.
                Yea its more like "not blown". You will still be bouncing all over the place and banging into bumpstops.

Originally posted by lordoja
                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

yeah theres definitely a big difference there! seems to me that most people just see not blown as being still good. suspensions are blown or not blown. soft or stiff. beyond that people have no understanding of how things work

Comment

One of the true situations where "you get what you pay for"..

Coming from one whos ridden blown stock struts, on "ebay" no name springs, with NO bumpstops.. Don't know what I was thinking .. and I've done Gr2s on those no name shocks.. again for reasons that escape me. I'll just say they dont last (someone said 1-2 years, I'd give it 2 weeks - but no that familiar with many setups on CBs as I haven't personally chosen to replace the stockies yet..)

A good setup like those recommended by the veterans on this site are tested and proven (as have been stickied)

Don't be cheap or impatient like me! Do it right the first time round

Pop vTec

Comment

Working...
                    X