Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What should I put in my car F22A1 or H23A1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I put in my car F22A1 or H23A1?

Okay, so I've been searching this site and Hondatech and my question is, what should I put in my 92 Lx? I got the car practically given to me and I think the engine is toast. The woman I got it from said she thought she ran it out of oil, but when I got it home there was plenty of oil n the pan. I pulled the valve cover and saw the cam is snapped. Well I'm guessing the oil pump went out and the head got hot and snapped the cam. Idk. So I've found two different motors ones another F22A1 with (I'm told) 119k, the others a H23A1 with around 190k. I'm told the H23 just had the timing replaced and it's in a CB7 with electrical problems, so I'll get p14 ecu too. So my question is which way should I go? What are the pros and cons? Both motors will cost me about the same. Thanks

Make them do a compression test and then make your decision based on that. Mileage won't mean anything if they weren't well maintained. Lower mileage isn't always better.

F22 is good but the H23 is better. Get that if its got good compression.
    “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
    ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

I think the f22 is out of the car. You can't do a compression test out of the car can you? The only time I've done a compression test the motor was in the car and I've never heard of doing a compression test on a motor out of the car.

Comment

You can do a compression test with the engine out of the chassis. All you need is a compression tester, working starter, a piece of wire and a 12v battery. You hook up your compression tester, then hook the starter up to the positive and negative terminals of a 12v car battery. Then use a wire from the positive cable to power the switch on the starter. It will crank the engine over without doing any damage to the engine.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
          You can do a compression test with the engine out of the chassis. All you need is a compression tester, working starter, a piece of wire and a 12v battery. You hook up your compression tester, then hook the starter up to the positive and negative terminals of a 12v car battery. Then use a wire from the positive cable to power the switch on the starter. It will crank the engine over without doing any damage to the engine.
          I learn something new everyday. Thanks Ghost I didn't know that.

Comment

It's up to you. Do some research on the two engines, and read up on the H23A1 swap procedure. The H23A1 will offer more power, at the cost of a slightly more difficult swap.
            Nobody can decide what YOU want other than YOU. It's your car.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              It's up to you. Do some research on the two engines, and read up on the H23A1 swap procedure. The H23A1 will offer more power, at the cost of a slightly more difficult swap.
              Nobody can decide what YOU want other than YOU. It's your car.
              This is true and what I've found so far is the F22Ax is capable of making stock H23A1 hp with a few mods.

I just got compression results from the H23 and I've got to do some digging to find out normal compression range.

Comment

If the compression test results vary significantly from one cylinder to the next, there's a problem.

And yes, the F22A can make H23A power with some mods... but keep in mind, the H23A has that power BEFORE those mods (meaning you can do those mods to the H23A and get even more power.)

Like I said, do your research on the two, and decide which fits your needs and abilities. As long as the engines are both healthy, it's really just a matter of preference.

Comment

If the compression test results vary significantly from one cylinder to the next, there's a problem.

And yes, the F22A can make H23A power with some mods... but keep in mind, the H23A has that power BEFORE those mods (meaning you can do those mods to the H23A and get even more power.)

Like I said, do your research on the two, and decide which fits your needs and abilities. As long as the engines are both healthy, it's really just a matter of preference.
                  The H23 is 185, 190, 190, 195 and everything I'm finding, yes after searching, is telling me the compression should be around 220. The F22 has 180 all the way, and I found a post stating the F22 should be 178. The F22 seems to be the healthier of the two.

Comment

Originally posted by LewZur View Post
                    The H23 is 185, 190, 190, 195 and everything I'm finding, yes after searching, is telling me the compression should be around 220. The F22 has 180 all the way, and I found a post stating the F22 should be 178. The F22 seems to be the healthier of the two.
                    Of course I said everything I'm finding, but I have found different numbers for the H23 and I really don't think those numbers are that terrible.

Comment

Please use the edit button, rather than posting multiple replies one after another... that's a good way to get your post count reset.

The compression numbers for the H23 don't look bad. It's not perfect, but they seem to be decent for a 20 year old engine.

Comment

Please use the edit button, rather than posting multiple replies one after another... that's a good way to get your post count reset.

The compression numbers for the H23 don't look bad. It's not perfect, but they seem to be decent for a 20 year old engine.
                        My bad. I didn't think they were too bad, but the F22 seems to be better. I'm still researching so I haven't completely made my mind up yet.

Comment

What are some ways to get the F22A up to H23A power levels?

Comment

Tuning, making it breathe more efficiently, reading and learning...

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Wow now i see why my old f22 seemed weak on power. My compression was only at 145. I didnt think that little motor put out 180 compression. Need to check my new motor now. Thans guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X