Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Driving with oil on spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving with oil on spark plugs

So I was changing spark plugs last night and I found that 3 out 4 spark plugs had oil on it. How bad would it be to be driving the vehicle? How long until it gets really bad?

well when youre driving and it starts missing or only running on 1 cylinder then youll know its bad

Comment

Better question would be is the oil on the tip of the spark plugs or is it on the body of the spark plug
      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Oh, that bad? Then I guess I better get right on it. Can I still drive it around town to gather the supplies needed for this job? How about the spark plugs are those reusable? Those were new.

If I recall correctly it was on the both and tip(?).

Comment

I drove 500 miles with minor to mild leak in the tubes for a bit so you should be fine driving a few miles for parts. REMEMBER torque the rocker properly! I had the torque sheet that listed the bolts to be torqued slightly tighter than it OEM and snapped some of the bolts and resulted in a whole lot of BS.
          Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Oil on the tip will eventually cause the plug not to function. A plug that isn't sparking isn't causing the fuel to ignite. You'll be sending unburnt fuel into your exhaust manifold, and into your VERY hot catalytic converter. If it ignites after exiting the exhaust valve, major damage could occur.

You may not be at that point yet, but I'd suggest fixing it sooner rather than later. It's not a terribly difficult thing to do, but it could be a pain to fix in the cold if you're in an area that's getting frigid weather this winter.

Comment

Okay thanks. Do you think I'll be able to reuse the spark plugs? Those are practically brand new.

Comment

Absolutely not.

Comment

You can reuse your plugs, just clean them in gasolin and let them dry=) They dont turn bad cause of that, the only reason to replace a spark plug is if it is physicle worn. There should be no damage to your spark plugs caused by oil.
                  Last edited by Cb3vtec; 03-03-2014, 08:00 PM.

MRT:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=164408

And on the eight day God created Honda!

Comment

I have the same issue with my cb7 with oil in the plugs. Ill be getting the gasket kit to fix that issue once the weather breaks. Being in Ohio it's rough to work on cars in the winter.
                    To jdm or not jdm that is the question

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                      Better question would be is the oil on the tip of the spark plugs or is it on the body of the spark plug
                      If he had substantial oil on the body of the plug from the tube seals leaking, that oil will run down the plug onto the tip as you remove the plug from the head. If the oil comes off the tip using gasoline or brake cleaner, they could be reused. If the oil is really baked/coked on the plug, replace them after you replace the lower tube seals.

As implied earlier, to solve the oil leakage into the plug tubes, you have to remove the rocker assembly. Back off all the adjusting screws (if not before removing the assembly at least before reinstalling it) so that the torque on the rocker assembly bolts goes into properly clamping the rocker assembly to the head instead of compressing some of the valve springs. Then properly adjust the valve clearance and install new upper tube seals and valve cover gasket.

Originally posted by greenhornet614 View Post
                      I have the same issue with my cb7 with oil in the plugs. Ill be getting the gasket kit to fix that issue once the weather breaks. Being in Ohio it's rough to work on cars in the winter.
                      It was over 50 in Cincinnati on Saturday, what more do you want?
                      Last edited by Fleetw00d; 03-05-2014, 12:24 AM.
                      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                      X