Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Motor Mount or Strut Bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor Mount or Strut Bar?

I have a stock automatic 1992 Accord LX and I want to make it a smoother ride. Should I start with a motor mount or strut bar?

Smoother ride? That's suspension. Motor mounts probably should be replaced tho, they are going to prevent engine vibration. Strut bar will benefit in handling.

Comment

Well, I sorta meant in a way that it would stop my car from vibrating while idle, not too bad while idle, just the rear view mirror, driver side mirror, the steering wheel, and when reaching speeds around 50+ MPH. Sorry if I wasn't specific.

And would the strut bar help me get the car to stop "wobbling?" The car would occasionally "wobble" when I make a left turn.

Also, would the motor mount fit on all F22's or just the F22A1? I might consider putting in a F22A6 if and when this motor dies.

Comment

sounds like you have more issues than a strut bar or some new mounts will fix.

Comment

Mounts may help with the vibration at idle. Stock mounts, though. Any performance mounts would only increase the vibration.

The "wobble" you mention may indicate a very serious suspension issue. I would jack up the car and inspect the suspension components. If an important part (such as a ball joint) fails while you're driving, you will crash.
          Any component with a torn boot should be replaced ASAP.

Comment

Why does a performance motor mount increase the vibration? I thought about getting ExplocitSpeedPerformance motor mounts.

Well, the "wobble" only happens once in a while. And it balances itself after two shakes, only seen this happen when I make left turns. At certain places O.O

Comment

Definitely jack the car up and check. Nothing should wobble. It could be serious. Even dangerous.

Performance mounts (like the ESP mounts) use a harder rubber/urethane. This keeps the engine from moving around as the softer stock mounts do. When the engine is allowed to move, that's power that isn't being sent to the wheels. Limiting that movement helps put more power down, and do it sooner and more reliably. Stiffer mounts, however, don't absorb the vibrations as much (which is why the stock design uses a softer rubber... the average car owner doesn't want vibration, and doesn't care about the slightly improved performance harder rubber provides.) The same goes for suspension bushings, performance springs, performance shocks... things that come from the factory to ensure comfort are replaced with things that improve performance (at the cost of comfort.)

Comment

Oh, okay, thanks.

Should I also check the rear? Should I lift up the front then the rear or have all 4 lifted?

Comment

Do one corner at a time, unless you have access to a lift.

Comment

Working...
                  X