Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Bad gas mileage, runs lean, hesitates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad gas mileage, runs lean, hesitates

My '92 EX, auto has been getting around 15mpg for quite a while. I've read the forum for quite some time and want to thank all the contributors for the very helpful info that I have learned.

This is what I've done so far for maintenance and to correct the problem:

Replaced O2 sensor (NTK)
    Cleaned egr valve and egr ports
    New fuel filter
    New plugs and wires (NGK)
    New distributor
    Rebuilt TCU
    Compression test (highest to lowest are within 10 percent of each other)
    Seafoam in the gas tank

I have gotten a code 43 since the problem began and still do. The car runs very lean. Plugs are white after 1000's of miles. They are all the same color. Car hesitates, esp from a stop. It is so bad that with a/c on it will barely move from a stop. It also occasionally pops through the intake.

I am really at a loss as to what may be the problem. I'm thinking maybe FPR or ECU but I hate to continue throwing parts at the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Even though you have replaced the O2 sensor I'd replace it again. Try a Denso one this time perhaps.
    Originally posted by deevergote
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Code 43 is most often an o2 sensor code, though it can indicate other fuel supply issues.

I would check your fuel pressure. Also, inspect your fuel lines for a leak.
      Having your injectors professionally tested and cleaned might be worth a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        I would check your fuel pressure.
        Defintely, I'd try disconnecting your fuel supply line and turning the car to the on position and see how much gas is comin out. It just makes sure your fuel pump is working properly. I've done this quite a few times
        Wrecked, Revived, and still Rollin'

Check out my MRT!

The most unique "modification" these days is a full restoration. Take a 20+ year old Honda and make it look brand new... and it'll be more impressive than the guy with the stock-block turbo and plastidipped steelies.

Comment

Watching the fuel gush from an open fuel line is no way to gauge fuel pressure. Use a fuel pressure gauge.

Comment

Thank you all for your input.

I was thinking about trying another O2 sensor but it seems unlikely that the old and new one would both be bad. But hey, you never know.

I think having the injectors cleaned is a good idea, for maintenance, if nothing else. Any suggestions as to where to have that done, and cost? All the plugs are the same color. I would think that there would be some variance if the injectors were the problem but want to do that anyway.

At what point would I check the fuel pressure? Before the fpr? What should the pressure be?

Hopefully tomorrow I will be under the car replacing the oil cooler o ring and will check the O2 wires also. Started the car after work Friday and oil was leaking onto the exhaust. It is coming from where the cooler meets the block. Had to order the o ring, but thanks to the forum, I know what the problem is and how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by EDinNC View Post
              I think having the injectors cleaned is a good idea, for maintenance, if nothing else. Any suggestions as to where to have that done, and cost?
              I used Mr. Injector and was extremely pleased with the results. $16 per injector plus $5 shipping.
              http://www.mrinjector.us

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Watching the fuel gush from an open fuel line is no way to gauge fuel pressure. Use a fuel pressure gauge.
                Well if theres barely any fuel coming out.. but yeah a fuel pressure gauge would be a lot more accurate
                Wrecked, Revived, and still Rollin'

Check out my MRT!

The most unique "modification" these days is a full restoration. Take a 20+ year old Honda and make it look brand new... and it'll be more impressive than the guy with the stock-block turbo and plastidipped steelies.

Comment

Originally posted by EDinNC View Post

I was thinking about trying another O2 sensor but it seems unlikely that the old and new one would both be bad. But hey, you never know.

I think having the injectors cleaned is a good idea, for maintenance, if nothing else. Any suggestions as to where to have that done, and cost? All the plugs are the same color. I would think that there would be some variance if the injectors were the problem but want to do that anyway.

At what point would I check the fuel pressure? Before the fpr? What should the pressure be?

Hopefully tomorrow I will be under the car replacing the oil cooler o ring and will check the O2 wires also. Started the car after work Friday and oil was leaking onto the exhaust. It is coming from where the cooler meets the block. Had to order the o ring, but thanks to the forum, I know what the problem is and how to fix it.
                  Don't assume that just because your o2 sensor is new that it can't be faulty. I've seen many people on here over the years do just that, and they deal with constant frustration and expense before they realize it!

Here's a picture of a pressure gauge installed on an F22A (taken from a cardomain page belonging to swt_CB7.)

I've never actually installed one myself, so this is about the best I can offer. I don't know the proper pressure offhand, but a quick Google search says the proper range should be between 34 and 41 psi. You might want to confirm that by another source, but it will at least give you a ballpark estimate to work with!

Originally posted by wagon-r View Post
                  I used Mr. Injector and was extremely pleased with the results. $16 per injector plus $5 shipping.
                  http://www.mrinjector.us
                  Wow, that's pretty cheap! I've seen injector cleaning and balancing services charging up to $80 per injector!

Comment

Thank you all for your input. The injector cleaning sounds like a good deal. I'm definitely going to get that done soon. Unfortunately, the oil cooler o ring now won't be in until Thur. so I will need some time to recover from having the car laid up for a week before I lay it up again.

Deevergote: The fauly O2 sensor idea has been rolling around in my head for a while. I might as well pop for another $40 to put that issue to rest. That will probably be my first step.

Thank you for the fuel pressure and gauge info. I will try to locate a gauge and check the pressure.

It might be a week or more, but I will report back and share my results with the forum.

Comment

Update: Installed the oil cooler o ring. That was pretty straightforward and just involved removing the oil filter and a bolt.

About the same time that the oil began leaking the car developed another problem. It would start from cold and then just die. Went into the fast idle mode fine but then just die.

Pulled the codes today and I'm getting a code 15 (along with the ever present code 43). From what I've read, the ecu is not getting a signal from the igniter.

So, I'm ordering a new Cardone dizzy, Denso O2 sensor, and a Standard ECT sensor from Rock Auto. I hate to just throw parts at it, but I am on a mission now

Comment

It is highly unlikely that an OEM NTK (NGK) brand O2 sensor is bad. They're better quality than Densos.

I would also replace the PCV valve since they're under 3 bucks.

Its most likely your ECU that's bad since you've tried everything under the sun already. Try a new PT6 and see if it drives any different. Should be able to get one for <$50.

But before you do that, make sure your timing is correct; that'll have a HUGE affect on driveability and fuel economy. If its popping out the intake, you're most likely off by a tooth or two on the T-belt.

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Thanks Losiracer2 for the info. I did replace the pcv, forgot to mention it. I am going to check the timing again. It shouldn't, but could, be a tooth off. The belt wasn't replaced when the problem began. Maybe it jumped somehow?

The ecu has been nagging at me lately. I'm beginning to think it may be the problem. I was hoping to find a rebuilt ecu for a decent, but can't find one yet. Probably have to get a used one.

Comment

Wow. I hope you figure it out soon. I went threw 2 used ($5 each), then a new o2. I finally had a friend come over with his Àccord and barrowed his o2 sensor, sure enough all were bad. I returned the new and they gave me another. No problems after that. Good luck with it!!
                            Last edited by ThePhantum; 11-25-2013, 09:43 PM.

Comment

OK, time for an update... this afternoon I replaced the ecu with a used one from ebay (pt6-a51), cost was $40. Drove it for about 15 miles afterwards. Mid range performance was much better. Before, at around 40mph, it had zero power until the tranny downshifted. Still a serious hesitation from stop with the ac on.

No cel and no codes, yet. Not sure about gas mileage. But the gauge did move quite a bit. I will fill up the tank and drive it more the next few days to check mileage and cel.

BTW, when I check for codes, the cel is a steady amber. I'm assuming that means there are no codes. Is that correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X