Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

PT6 ecu, any noticeable gains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PT6 ecu, any noticeable gains?

I'm running a stock f22a1 in my 1990 ex coupe mt. (Pt3)

Are there any notable gains from swapping only the ecus?

I managed to snag a full intake manifold, cam and ecu from a 93 we coupe at.

As I'm waiting for some cash to rebuild bottom end for turbocharging.

I'm tempted to slap in the pt6 ecu for some gains.

I believe ecus are interchangeable from at to mt vice versa.

Any info helps.

I've been lurking these forums since I purchased my cb7 coupe just a few months ago.

I'll have to work on a introduction/diy build thread(s)

I just delayed them until I have a more creditable cb7.

You would not see a gain from the pt6 untill the head upgrades are done.
    Your car will run with the auto pt6 but not as well as the mt pt6. You intake manifold will have a couple extra vacum ports on the back side for the auto you will need to be sure to seal up.
    Did you get the iab selenoid? I recommend it. You will have to run a wire to you new ecu for it to function. I can't remember which pin number, a17?
    You can and should search from Google including within your question with cb7, or cb7 tuner to find tons of threads related to your question. I.e. cb7 pt6 upgrade? Or a6 manifold cb7 tuner ect.
    Last edited by cb7 calling; 10-26-2013, 06:50 AM.
    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

I have the full manifold assembly. Including the iabs.
      I have the cam as well, but realized I forgot the springs when I came home with the cam.

I knew something was weird when removing the Im from the se.

Funny thing was I knew it was an auto as I was yanking other misc parts.

Just didn't realize it when I was yanking the ecu and intake manifold.

I guess I'll have to wait till next year after tax returns to start my engine mods.

I plan on keeping the motor the stock f22a but with a6 parts and turbocharged. If it blows before tax returns it'll give me a reason to buy a swap.

There's a totaled automatic rsx for sale for $1500 45 mins away. All engine and tranny parts are intact and running. Frame is twisted.

Comment

Your auto manifold is fine most a6 manifolds are from auto se accords. You can find a pt6 mt in a 93 ex at the yard.

Comment

If you want roughly 10hp from just an ECU, you'll want a P12 from a Prelude S.

As said, you'll need the cam and intake manifold to make use of the PT6 (springs are unnecessary... people run the A6 cam on the A1 springs with no issues regularly.)

Boosting a stock F22A will blow a ring land very quickly. Why even waste the money? Do it right.

Why are you even mentioning an RSX?

Comment

I believe the op sees that as a possible swap after his ringlands give.

Comment

Good luck with that one!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Good luck with that one!
                Don't shoot him down so quickly, I mean he may seem a little green to modifying cars, but we all were at one point. Hell If i where you I wouldn't even boost the F series if you can get your hands on a K20a3 with out the trans I would totally go with a K swap...Its way more in depth, but still not impossible.

Just a few months ago me and my friends swapped an RB20det into a 240sx s13... I mean it wasn't easy and hours and hours of research was done,but it got done. All I am saying is with google and some equally confused friends things happen.

Dream big, research alot, and spend a lot of money

Comment

Originally posted by Jack93prj View Post
                  Don't shoot him down so quickly, I mean he may seem a little green to modifying cars, but we all were at one point. Hell If i where you I wouldn't even boost the F series if you can get your hands on a K20a3 with out the trans I would totally go with a K swap...Its way more in depth, but still not impossible.

Just a few months ago me and my friends swapped an RB20det into a 240sx s13... I mean it wasn't easy and hours and hours of research was done,but it got done. All I am saying is with google and some equally confused friends things happen.

Dream big, research alot, and spend a lot of money

I say this but I am in the middle of building my stock F22 motor. I just bought a cheap Volvo T3 turbo with some shaft play. Rebuilt the Turbo, Rebuilt motor. I am not going over 8lbs and I hoping if I just keep my foot out of it I could have a reliable build.

(*note I have a second car to rely on after the F22 blows, and wouldn't recommend stock turbo build unless you have that ability)

Comment

Unless something has changed recently, the available swap mounts are for the K24 only. The K20 won't work. So I hope homeboy here is into fabricating mounts.

Plus, if it's not a Type S, who would want an RSX engine in a CB7 anyway?

Comment

Hehe yes I've heard about our bad ring lands.

What my plan was is to run the stock a1 head, a6 cam and manifold. Plus ecu.
                      As for the tranny it's gears are long and finding a h22/23 tranny is hard. Best pick n pull around is 2 1/2 hours away in Seattle.

So with the stock f tranny I planned on going turbo.

Something along the lines with the above and dsm wiseco pistons turned 180 degrees to seat properly. topping it off with a h22/23 crank lightened and balanced. I forgot which crank it was but that's besides the point.

I'm not looking for insane power, somewhere around 250-300.

The bottom end build I searched somewhere, could've been some guy here.

What I dread is a swap. I dislike swaps even through I have driven in a h22 accord and it's ballsy.

But I don't want to mess around with gathering components for my accessories.

All in all, plan is to stay as much USDM cb7 as possible.

Retain stock block/head, ac, ps, heater.

I have 2 kids, 1s on the way due December this year.
                      Wife would kick my ass if I drove em around in a coupe no less with no ac or heater.

I'm lucky she doesn't make me sell my coupe to buy a 4 door civic or something more "family orientated" lol.
                      Last edited by MrMagnificent; 10-27-2013, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Our ring lands aren't bad. Just not made for boost.

You don't want to mess around with a swap, but you want to somehow fit DSM pistons and an H22 crank in there? Your plans are significantly more complicated than a fairly straightforward H22A swap.

If you want to boost the F22A, you're going to need a chipped and tuned ECU. You're going to need forged internals (they make internals for the F22A... no need to play with DSM parts...) You're going to need an upgraded clutch. Any transmission you choose is fine. There is absolutely no need for the crank swap.

Comment

It sounds to me like you've done very little research, and latched onto ideas that were most likely only mentioned by a few fairly uninformed people. That's fine, as it shows you're at least trying to learn on your own. However, in this thread alone (which has gone way off topic at this point), you've already mentioned a K20 swap, a wacky unorthodox (and probably unreliable) F22A turbo build, and an H22A swap that seems to be too complicated (and it is by far the easiest and most straightforward option among them...)

If you start buying parts for these half baked ideas, and you start tearing your car apart... you're going to be broke, with a broken car.
                          If this is a vehicle that you need to get to work and transport your family, then boost shouldn't even be considered. Even knowledgeable, experienced guys with fully built engines have serious issues with turbo from time to time.

Just do an H22A swap. Stock reliability, 200hp, fuel efficient, well documented, easy to install. You're still running a "stock" engine... just one that makes 75 more horsepower.

Comment

Working...
                          X