Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Are all F22a blocks the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are all F22a blocks the same?

I'm gonna be building an engine over the winter, and was wondering if all the blocks were the same. As in, is one block sturdier then the other. I was mainly wondering because I was wanting to bore the block out to .020, or will I need to sleeve the block for the extra piston size. I am gonna be boosting the engine, and if that bore size will make the cylinder walls weak I'll just get standard sized pistons. Thanks in advance...

if your boosting i think you should sleeve regardless no?

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Even if it isn't a real high amount of boost? I was thinking around 12-15 p.s.i.. I guess if that's what I have to it'll take me alittle longer for the build, and I might as well go bigger on the bore, and a higher amount of boost. I was gonna be using all forged internals. I know that has nothing to do with the block integrity, but was just getting it out there before I was asked.

Comment

Sleeving is always the safest route, but for 12-15psi it isn't absolutely necessary. But for your intents and purposes all the blocks are the same. It's the cylinder head components and ECUs that make a difference.
        '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
        If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

the only difference ive noticed is some blocks come with oil coolers infront of the filter... other than that they are the same

Comment

Why do you want to bore it out 0.020 thou anyway?
            0.020 thou is a standard oversize piston, It's not really a useable increase in cc to make extra power.

Besides you can make alot more than enough useable power on the stock bore size when going turbo.

To answer the original question though - The actual castings are all the same yes.
            However the F22A6 block has a windage tray that the others did not.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I didn't figure it would make any power gains from that little of oversize bore. Just wanted to make sure the cylinders were nice and round, but if I was gonna have to sleeve it I would go as big as I could. Plus, a friend of mine has a friend that has some brand new forged .020's pistons for sale for a reasonable price. I would like to sleeve it honestly. It's just that it would cost as much as the bottom end build to purchase them, and have the block machined and installed. I am also gonna be using a F22a head. From the searches I've done on here sounds like the way to go flow wise. Having to buy only one cam and gear is a plus too. I would like to make around 350 - 400 horsepower if that helps any.

Comment

Originally posted by SE1991 View Post
                I didn't figure it would make any power gains from that little of oversize bore. Just wanted to make sure the cylinders were nice and round, but if I was gonna have to sleeve it I would go as big as I could. Plus, a friend of mine has a friend that has some brand new forged .020's pistons for sale for a reasonable price. I would like to sleeve it honestly. It's just that it would cost as much as the bottom end build to purchase them, and have the block machined and installed. I am also gonna be using a F22a head. From the searches I've done on here sounds like the way to go flow wise. Having to buy only one cam and gear is a plus too. I would like to make around 350 - 400 horsepower if that helps any.
                If you stick with the F22A bottom end, there is really no need to bore at all. 4G63 pistons will fit in our block as there is .002 mm difference on the dome of the piston. Not only that the ringlands on those can withstand boost much better than our F22 one can. Even better they are also the same bore size as well, saving you from having to bore over your block. As I am sure you have read also is that the F22A also has cast iron sleeves in them that can take that beating as well. I have been slowly gathering parts for this over the last two years and now it is time for me to put it into action. But this is a suggestion but also to give you more info as well.

My next question to the OP: Which F's are you talking about? F22Ax, F22Bx (Both SOHC and DOHC variants), F20Ax (SOHC and DOHC variants), or F20B? I would guess the F22A but your question seemed kind of vague I thought I would ask.
                The CB7 Collector.
                Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                92 LX Coupe F22A1
                2013 Toyota Corolla S
                92 EX Sedan F22A1
                Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Boring to ensure that the cylinders are true is never a bad idea... but I do agree that the more material you take away from these open-deck cylinders, the weaker they will be. Cast iron or not, they're not THAT strong.
                  If the cylinders are true, just do a proper hone and get forged pistons to fit.

Comment

I'm talking about the F22a 1-6, and I'll be using the same head as well. Yeah, I've read about the sleeves being iron. I've been lurking on here for a few months , and been a member for about a month. I've searched and found almost all the answers to my question except for this one. That's why it's taking me a month to make a post. Didn't wanna be one of the newbs that asks questions that has been answered a million times before. I do have one more question though. I've read about the 4g63 pistons and the turbo manifold fitting my engine as happy stated, but was wondering if I needed 4g63 rods or will they fit the F22a's rods. Also if I use the 4g63 manifold which gaskets do I need to use. Sorry if it's been answered before search 4g63 turbo manifold and it said results not found...Thanks again guys

And deevergote I was either gonna go Bisi's rods, and an Eagle crank, or Eagle's crank and rods.

Comment

Search for "DSM" and you'll find a TON of info dating back nearly a decade.

Anyway, I'd stay away from the 4G63 pistons. Why bother doing a halfassed custom job with stock cast pistons made for another engine when you can get brand new forged internals and be sure they'll fit? And yes, before anyone argues, 4G63t pistons ARE cast aluminum, not forged.

You can use stock rods with any piston, if you do proper modification. Honestly though... get forged rods. Do it right, and do it once. Keep in mind that Bisi doesn't make anything. He has things made to his specs, and then adds his profit into the price. Since he deals in relatively low volume, his prices aren't very low at all. He's a smart man, and he knows how to build an engine... so if his specs suit you, go for it... otherwise, I'd go elsewhere for a lower price.

And for the crank? Why do you need a new crank? The stock crank is plenty strong enough for damn near anything! Unless you're making 700whp or more. there's no reason to do a thing to the crank. Even then, it's arguable.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the crank. That will save me alot of cash. I'll more then likely just stay with stuff made for my engine to stray away from any problems with assembly. I'm trying to make around 350-400. If I happen to make more then that that's fine with me. I'm gonna buy the parts I want, and honestly what ever I make I'll be fine with that..Hopefully..LOL

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          Search for "DSM" and you'll find a TON of info dating back nearly a decade.

Anyway, I'd stay away from the 4G63 pistons. Why bother doing a halfassed custom job with stock cast pistons made for another engine when you can get brand new forged internals and be sure they'll fit? And yes, before anyone argues, 4G63t pistons ARE cast aluminum, not forged.

You can use stock rods with any piston, if you do proper modification. Honestly though... get forged rods. Do it right, and do it once. Keep in mind that Bisi doesn't make anything. He has things made to his specs, and then adds his profit into the price. Since he deals in relatively low volume, his prices aren't very low at all. He's a smart man, and he knows how to build an engine... so if his specs suit you, go for it... otherwise, I'd go elsewhere for a lower price.

And for the crank? Why do you need a new crank? The stock crank is plenty strong enough for damn near anything! Unless you're making 700whp or more. there's no reason to do a thing to the crank. Even then, it's arguable.
                          That part I didn't know about those pistons being cast aluminum!!!! Well you learn something new every day!! Aluminum and heat deff don't bode well with what the OP is looking for. Hmmmmm time to find a new piston myself then!!!
                          The CB7 Collector.
                          Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                          92 LX Coupe F22A1
                          2013 Toyota Corolla S
                          92 EX Sedan F22A1
                          Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

I'm sure they're made differently than F22A cast pistons, as they are designed for boost... but they're hardly a reasonable alternative to forged pistons.

Comment

What about the 4G63 turbo intakes. Would they be better then the cheap e-bay ones for my car until I can afford a better one. I'm wanting to put the parts on my CB until I can get another engine built.

Comment

Working...
                              X