Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1990 Accord won't Start, Trouble Code 15, Ignition Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Accord won't Start, Trouble Code 15, Ignition Problem

Hi all,

My Accord refused to start on me. I checked the LED light code on the ECU and it gave a 15. Following the diagnostic in the Service manual, I removed the "Backup" fuse for 10 sec., and replaced it. Tried starting again, still won't start, but now not giving any CEL at all. I've ruled out the main relay, spark plugs, distributor cap, and ignition rotor. I don't think it is my fuel pump either, as I loosened the fuel test port and turned the key to position 2, and fuel seeped out, so that indicates to me that the fuel pump is good (though I could be wrong, as that isn't necessarily a good test. Anything else I should check? The service manual says that if I don't get a check engine light after the procedure above, to just check a couple connections. Thanks for any advise!
    Last edited by Raoc; 09-10-2013, 09:38 AM. Reason: problem solved

I would try spraying starting fluid / ether briefly into the intake and try to start the car. If it starts then dies, it is fuel related, otherwise I would look at ignition components like the coil and igniter.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Did the starting fluid test, no change, so its an ignition problem right? I'm going to test my ignition coil next.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoc View Post
        Did the starting fluid test, no change, so its an ignition problem right? I'm going to test my ignition coil next.
        Have you by chance seen your Tachometer (RPM Gauge) bouncing/dancing independent of actual Engine RPM lately? If so that is a classic indication of a failing igniter.

On my rx7 the igniter started going out, the rpm gauge started dancing/bouncing, and a little bit later it stalled out several times, but would restart if only for a little bit, before it finally threw in the towel. It died while it was towards the end of summer in Washington.

I have not had an igniter die on my cb7 yet (knocks on wood), but I have had an internal coil fail on me, and once it died, it wouldn't come back for nothing until it was replaced. It died while it was snowing in Washington.
        Last edited by cloudasc; 09-09-2013, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Can't say that I've noticed my Tach moving erratically. I checked my coil, and it is reading 1.2 ohms between the leads, where the spec is .6 to .8 ohms, and between the secondary winding it shows 98,000 ohms, where the spec is 13,600 to 19,800 ohms. I think it is my coil.

Comment

So to follow up if anyone else reads this, I replaced my ignition coil, and that did the trick. It seems to be idling at a pretty low RPM, but otherwise is functioning fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoc View Post
              So to follow up if anyone else reads this, I replaced my ignition coil, and that did the trick. It seems to be idling at a pretty low RPM, but otherwise is functioning fine.
              Glad you got it figured out, and for posting up the result!

Try checking out the regional section for your area and become be more involved with community! As they say 'the more the merrier'.

Comment

Working...
              X