Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Need some insight on suspension setups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some insight on suspension setups.

This is my car as it sits.

I have eibach pro kit on stock struts. I know stock struts aren't made to handle the drop and spring rates but I was not aware of this when I did It a few months ago and I'm looking for a new set up.

I've done my fair share of research and I am leaning towards an adjustable set up because I would like a little more drop and like the adjustable height option.

I thought about just running the pro kit on the yellows but I feel like the springs are a little soft for my liking.

Would the yellows stiffen the ride out so it would handle better and firm the ride? Or does that come down to the spring rate?

The other option I was looking at was the f and f type 1.

What set up is going to firm the ride up and eliminate more body roll well maintaining a decent ride with a little more drop.

Thanks

If you aren't concerned with the ride being too stiff and want something that will keep the car rigid and planted in the tightest and fastest (reasonably accomplished on public roads, that is) of corners, then the Function and Form Type 1 coilovers are great. They Type 2s would be even better because of the adjustable dampening. But they are incredibly stiff. I hope to trade mine with a member here for some different coilovers soon because of this. But, to be fair, I live in Houston where the people are trash and the roads are worse. I can't have very stiff springs, I've found. I would be remiss, though, if I didn't inform you that there are better options out there. People usually select Function and Form coilovers because they're a great value.

To answer your other question, yes, the Koni yellows would make your ride somewhat stiffer, even with the Eibachs. But not much as that's not really what they were designed to do. It would just be the nature of their heavier valving.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Thanks jarret for the response.

On the type 1s how stiff are they on a scale of 1 to 10
      1 being stock.

I really would like the adjustable dampening...is there a inbetween coil over that does both?

What are the better options?

Thanks

Comment

The Koni Yellow SP3's have adjustable perches on them to change height as well. I have them and love them. And I from what I have found they pretty much ride slightly stiffer than stock, and those too, have adjustable dampening as well.
        The CB7 Collector.
        Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
        92 LX Coupe F22A1
        2013 Toyota Corolla S
        92 EX Sedan F22A1
        Originally posted by deevergote
        Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Keep in mind that the Koni Yellows are adjustable. In their softest setting, Jarrett is right that they wouldn't be much stiffer.

But at their hardest setting, the ride became far stiffer. Following are two links to some testing the Tire Rack did on the Koni Yellows at their softest and hardest testing.
          http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/t...o_sport_rd.jsp
          http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/t...sport_rd_b.jsp

Ride comfort dropped all the way from a rating of 7.09 to 4.9 going from the softest to the hardest setting. Road course lap times dropped from 32.09 to 31.95 seconds and slalom times from 4.91 to 4.87 seconds. All were on Eibach Pro-Kit springs on a Lexis IS300.

Comment

I want the sp3s but I can't find them...I thought I saw that they are discontinued. If not links ?

I'll check out the yellows more at that website.

Thanks

Comment

maybe you guys didnt hear about these coilovers, but here in quebec lots of people ride on them from hondas to bmws, they have a whole range of setups to go from regular drop for looks to drift suspensions.

im talking about Standard suspension (STD suspension) i ride the STD R1 on my cb7 and i will never go back to eibach or any other coil-strut setup (not that they aare not good) i am completely in love with these full coilovers, i used to have eibach sportlines on kyb struts and i was scratching my front spoiler very often even tho its a 1.8'' drop lol...my god they wer bouncy...now im slammed maybe 4'' and besides speed bumps, i never scratch anywhere while driving...i used to crack my mags often too with the old setup...never happened again since i picked these coilovers.

only downside..theyr stiff...very stiff, the car is a go-kart now but thats what i was looking for...performance and confort dont like each other you know..

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201008

Comment

Its great that you are going for some quality suspension parts. Koni yelows are definitely a great choice. Pair them up with some quality springs and you're good to go. Kono yellows+ Neuspeed race is what I would recommend if your are looking for stiff and lowered 3inches

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
                My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
                Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

Well since this thread is up ill ask my quick question. I want to drop my cb and have that negative camber look. Not too much neg camber tho. What's the best way to do that with out getting a ride that's extremely stiff or too stiff. I want a ride where it's like as close to factory comfort as possible and I know that's a far stretch

Comment

That color is sick...

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneAccord View Post
                      Well since this thread is up ill ask my quick question. I want to drop my cb and have that negative camber look. Not too much neg camber tho. What's the best way to do that with out getting a ride that's extremely stiff or too stiff. I want a ride where it's like as close to factory comfort as possible and I know that's a far stretch
                      Koni Yellows and H&R Sport springs with no camber kits @ 1.5"-1.75" drop.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                        I can vouche for that setup. It's currently on my car and rides very smooth.

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
                        My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
                        Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

Agreed. I have Koni Yellows with Neuspeed Sports, which are essentially the same as H&R (had H&R previously.)
                          The Sport springs provide a mild drop, so the negative camber isn't severe. The tires will still wear unevenly, but usually not to the extent that a camber kit is absolutely necessary. Best to have one, but you can get away without, as long as you have a proper alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                            Thanks man...I just remember riding in a mustang when I was younger and it was lowered. Worst. Ride. Ever felt every bump, suspension was extremely stiff, bone jarring. Felt like the car didnt even have shocks. Ever since then I've been nervous about getting into dropped cars and dropping cars

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneAccord View Post
                              Thanks man...I just remember riding in a mustang when I was younger and it was lowered. Worst. Ride. Ever felt every bump, suspension was extremely stiff, bone jarring. Felt like the car didnt even have shocks. Ever since then I've been nervous about getting into dropped cars and dropping cars
                              No worries, it can be tuned to your preferences. That is why I like Koni Yellows.

Comment

Working...
                              X