Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Solid mounts v.s. Oem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid mounts v.s. Oem

Ok so im stuck trying to figure if I really need solid mounts...the only major up grade I have is the kaizenspeed balance shaft kit and is slightly bored over. I found regular oem rubber mounts for decent price but will they hold up like I would expect them to. I know the old ones lasted this long but there done for. Just trying to get the best ideas and info I can before I make a major purchase. To all thanks in advance

Originally posted by greenbeen90 View Post
    Ok so im stuck trying to figure if I really need solid mounts...the only major up grade I have is the kaizenspeed balance shaft kit and is slightly bored over. I found regular oem rubber mounts for decent price but will they hold up like I would expect them to. I know the old ones lasted this long but there done for. Just trying to get the best ideas and info I can before I make a major purchase. To all thanks in advance
    Perhaps try the window weld method? It's a budget and old school move but it usually holds up pretty good. Just google window weld motor mounts and you will find plenty of threads.

Comment

Originally posted by lowandslowcb7 View Post
      Perhaps try the window weld method? It's a budget and old school move but it usually holds up pretty good. Just google window weld motor mounts and you will find plenty of threads.
      first thing, i wouldn't do the window weld do to it falls apart after a while..
      second if your on budge and can't afford hasport,esp,innovative,etc. what you can do is keep you oem mount and filled them up with this http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=DIYMMI you can choose from three different grades for daily driven,track only and inbetween also you must take all four mount out and do it at the same time do to the mixture hard after 24 hr. and this last mine been filled with this stuff for over 3 to 4 year and still hold strong

Comment

I did "window weld" trick on a Civic I had. It didn't hold up that long either. I thought it was me, didn't do a good job.

I would try that urethane filler the next time.
        A&P-IA

Comment

If you want to fill them up then use a Polyurethane to fill them up.. I used the liquid nails polyurethane to fill up my rear motor mount and I have never had any issue with it and its been holding fore more than 5 years already.

keep in mind when you do this mod you will feel the engine vibration in your car since the motors are not flexing to soften the feel.

overall it is a well worth mod the rear motor mount is a pain to change since there so little space to work with when removing it

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
          "2SIIC"
          Authentic Jerseys for sale
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

Many brands of liquid polyurethane exist, and they are often listed in the same way the Energy Suspension products are in terms of hardness.
            Lazy people started the window weld method, and that has become the standard term for filling your own mounts.
            I've had properly filled urethane mounts on my car for many years now, and it's held up fine. That's the best way to go if you're on a budget. Just prepare for a significant increase in vibration.

Comment

I haven't done either method, mostly because I don't like dash rattles, but I don't know if I'd consider window weld a lazy method. It could just be that some don't want quite the harshness of urethane but do want some rigidity over stock. But again, I have no experience with either so I don't really know all of the cons for window weld.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

The softer urethane provides less harshness (as explained on the Energy Suspension page.) Window Weld is a urethane, but it's meant to be an adhesive, not something that is globbed in large quantities on high-stress situations.
                Perhaps it doesn't matter... but I see it as a lazy method.

Comment

Like I said, I don't know what I'm talking about. Just thinking of a possible explanation. Truthfully, that's what has kept me from filling my mounts. I want nothing to do with dash rattles.
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Yeah, then you definitely don't want filled mounts!
                    I'm not sure what grade my friend used for mine, but it's pretty stiff. I don't mind it, but it's also not my primary car (then again, the CTS-V vibrates nearly as much...)

Comment

http://www.mcmaster.com/#urethane-ca...pounds/=nqydp2

Thats the place to go. Got my stuff from them, worked amazing.
                      wat?

Comment

^wicked happy w/ my mcmaster carr 94A urethane, holding up perfectly for many years now. Thats also a good link that Pupildel posted too. I'd imagine since your motor is not stock you'd probably want to get the most out of it w/ the least amount of power loss through engine movement. I think you should go towards a solid mount, and solid doesn't have to mean solid as steel, depending on what you want, you can be alittle of both-comfort and performance. 94a is literally like plastic, very hard, no give, the motor does not move and therefore the vibrations sent through the car are insane. I've also done a set of 60a awhile back, way softer, that's what I'd recommend for that "both" category.

If you do go ahead w/ the DIY urethane, this is what I did. On every mount I've ever done, I used a sharp utility knife and cut out about 75% of the rubber but leaving enough to hold the center sleeve in the original place. This does 3 things: brand new sterile rubber for a great bond, more space for the urethane of your choice and the urethane ends up being "keyed" which makes it impossible for it to fall out even if it did come loose from the rubber. With this method I used 2 lbs of urethane for 4 mounts where-as most use 1 lb for 4 mounts. Another thing is you don't have to do all 4 either, the front and rear mounts hold the engine back from moving, the sides could be left stock and would absorb vibration.

Comment

So is it a general consensus that the side mounts transfer most of the harmonics into the cabin?

Comment

No but for example, if 4 94a mounts vibrate too much, stock sides would reduce the vibration while keeping engine movement to a minimum.

Comment

Hi sorry its taking awhile im on a mobile, I really appreciate all the replies really great info so if I bout just regular oem mounts and added the liquid urethane it would be good but what about innovative steel mounts 255 free shipping. Would that be better, any info on those

Comment

Working...
                              X