Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Looking DIY Power Steering System Inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking DIY Power Steering System Inspection

My power steering system is leaking, maybe at multiple places. Id try a search and advance search on the topic. Im sorry to say Im not finding what I need. Im looking for a kick ass DIY with pics and diagrams. Ive never done this job and need to get it right to get my 92cb7coupe on the road.
    Thanks.

I dont know that there is one. Inspection would be easy, start by getting engine degreaser and cleaning all the power steering hoses and lines from the rack, Pump, and reservoir. then just check back after a while to see where PS fluid is. Perhaps you could add a florescent die as well if you have access to a blacklight. USE A FUNNEL, you absolutely do not want to spill a drop of die, a lil bit makes a big mess, making the efforts of the die futile. Trying to help where I can.

Comment

Forget all that ↑↑↑ The seals inside are shot. There is a DIY on here on how to take the pump apart and there is a "kit" you can buy to replace seals.
      But why go though all that when it is simple to just get another one? Get a replacement...remove old and install good ....done. Either JY or from a car that is parting it out..or the nearest auto parts store.(junk yard for me is a no...as I want to have a good one and not do the the job 3 times, removal at the Pic-a part and then put it in..it fails take it out ..get another and put it in). Spend the $...you don't want to be driving with some ½ assed steering at 75-80mph.
      I 100% am not a mechanic, I can do minor stuff. All my tools were in the trunk and the wagon was stolen...tools too.
      I found it to be an easy removal. No wires, no mess of oil...just a bit of PS fluid. A few sockets and screwdrivers.
      My power steering leaked and it took superman to turn the wheels....After I put it in...DAM! like a race car! I could turn it at ease! Entire job takes less than an hour.
      Here is a DIY by our member Nightmare:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk9gBbkk44M
      Last edited by SilverShadow; 07-18-2013, 04:25 AM.

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
      New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
      My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Power steering fluid can also leak out of the VSS. Just inspect everything with a hydraulic line attached.

Worst come to worst convert to manual rack.

Comment

Ok I suspect seals within the pump too. Look for faint streaks on your hood. It's common. You probly want to diagnose it first though. To do that put fluid in the resevior, start the car turn the wheel side to side and open the resevior . If the fluid is foamy your power steering pump is bad and the fluid you are leaking is coming out of the top of the resavour. If you can not see any foam after 5 minutes it may be a line or fitting. The fittings to the rack and pinion are under the car behind a cover held by 3 ten mm bolts. If its a fitting down there the cover will have fluid on it remove it to find your leak. Another common location is the high pressure power steering line where it turns from rubber to a hard line. That should he easy to spot though because its on top of the motor.
          Only use Honda p/s fluid, at least the stuff designed for Honda at your parts store while diagnosing. Then the real stuff once fixed.
          ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

All that is good and somewhat what I thought was my problem...but I'll go out on a limb and say...you got old seals in the p/s. Change the pump with a new one and all will be fine....if I'm wrong at least you have a reliable pump and only less than $50 spent. Then take the advice above, but I feel sure it's the pump.

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com

Comment

What up crew, thanks for giving a dam. Anyways, read all post and have consider all option up till now. First test:
              I have no leaks on top or on the inside of hood (did a visual). Top off the reservoir, turn left and right, drove my car all day. Did spot leaks on the floor while at the store parking lot and when I pick up my daughter from her summer school class. I got home, let it sit there for about 30 min. and saw the drops create a bigger puddle.
              Second test.
              This morning saw a little pond of ps fluid under my car. Turn it on and turn left and right, very hard to turn and yes it would get stuck. Opened up the reservoir and it was very low and it was foaming.
              Also, saw at the bottom, towards the fire walls, its was all black and wet from ps fluid.
              That's all I got for the time being. Do let me know what you think. I do not have any plans of driving my cb7 till I fix this issue.
              Thank you.

Comment

Sounds to me like the high pressure line. But that is without looking at it.

Comment

It is definitely the pump. When you park the car all the air works its way back to the resivor and it over flows. The seals in the pump are sucking air in but are too small to let fluid out. If it where the high pressure line you should be able to spot fluid on the line. Fluid on the actual fire wall might be from the high pressure line though. When my pump went bad I had fluid all over the driver side engine bay, the fluid gets on the belts and pullys then spreads. It broke my alternator. I first replaced my high pressure line because I had an extra but the problem did not go away. I bought the cheapest pump available and its been good since.
                  Last edited by cb7 calling; 07-19-2013, 06:20 AM.
                  ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

What I've been saying!
                    DIY's all over the place on YouTube and if I had good tools and a knowledge of it then..I would have made a really descriptive DIY. But..it's not at all complicated to where you need to study how it comes off for weeks. Just go to my post for Scott's (nightmarecb7) YouTube link, hold the new one in your hand to get an idea of what bolts he is talking about ...Then get your ass out there with tools and rag..heck if you're that worried...bring a laptop out to look at the video while you remove it.

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com

Comment

I was able to get under the car, the dripping and puddle is more on the driver side. It was dark and with poor light, I thought I saw like a shield covered in wet fluid and oil on the driver side. Im hoping its not my rack&pinion. I will surely know more tomorrow and post up.
                      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by laloquera View Post
                        I was able to get under the car, the dripping and puddle is more on the driver side. It was dark and with poor light, I thought I saw like a shield covered in wet fluid and oil on the driver side. Im hoping its not my rack&pinion. I will surely know more tomorrow and post up.
                        Thanks.
                        Due to the pulley belt being right there. the fluid could be relocated to any part on that side.Do not drive it and clean it up..then don't touch anything..push the car to a clean spot...wait and see. Then start it and move the wheel from side to side and shut it off. Wait.....drip or puddle or nothing...yet the hood has oil. If hood..change the PS...on ground it could be the other problem or alot came out of that PS and it's really bad. Change that pump and give us the word!

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com

Comment

OK folks, this what Im looking at. Rack&pinion driver boot is rip and is leaking. As far as the metal piping and rubber hoses are all dried up. Im suspecting the seals in the rack&pinion are leaking. Im gonna start taking her off, and more than likely Im pulling one off from a junk yard.
                          Do get back at me and give me your opinion, I will check in later on this evening.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Im stuck! Cant seem to get off the bolts to separate the exhaust manifold from the exhaust pipe. Bolts are soaking in PC blaster, may have to leave them soaking over night. Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

OK...I will say it
                              I was wrong
                              Glad you did find the source of the drip. Good luck with the repair..never worked on that part.

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com

Comment

Working...
                              X