Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rough shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough shifting

Is there anyway to have my automatic 92 running smooth again? When I first bought the car , I could feel it shifting hard. It wouldn't shift until at a high rpm and when it finally did you could feel the jerk. I changed the trans fluid and it helped. But wasn't where I wanted it, so a co worker suggested Lucas trans oil. It helped a lot after that but a month later its starting to shift hard again
    BLOOD ON THE LEAVES

You should never put any additives in your transmission. Ever.
    Use Honda ATF only. Our transmissions are fairly sensitive to the fluid you put in them.

Is your D4 light flashing, by any chance? If so, that would be indicating a transmission computer error code.

Comment

Hopefully putting the lucas trans oil didn't mess anything up with your transmission. The automatic transmission holds over around 6qt's if I remember correctly, which requires at a minimum of 3 drain and fills to even come close to a 'flush', which by the way would be recommended since you added the Lucas. The only transmission fluid you should really use is Honda brand, any other brands require a special additive (that I can't remember the name of) to work properly.

Every time you drain and fill you are only replacing approximately 33% of the fluid. In your case I would recommend doing some drain and fill at very short intervals (300-500) miles initially to get the Lucas out. How often you should change the fluid can be determined by how black the transmission fluid that drains out of the transmission.
      Last edited by cloudasc; 06-23-2013, 05:00 PM.
      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        You should never put any additives in your transmission. Ever.
        Use Honda ATF only. Our transmissions are fairly sensitive to the fluid you put in them.

Is your D4 light flashing, by any chance? If so, that would be indicating a transmission computer error code.
        My coworker is dumb AF. Dam. No my lights not flashing. I called napas for the right trans fluid. They gave me a red bottle and it said that it can be used for Hondas.

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
        Hopefully putting the lucas trans oil didn't mess anything up with your transmission. The automatic transmission holds over around 6qt's if I remember correctly, which requires at a minimum of 3 drain and fills to even come close to a 'flush', which by the way would be recommended since you added the Lucas. The only transmission fluid you should really use is Honda brand, any other brands require a special additive (that I can't remember the name of) to work properly.

Every time you drain and fill you are only replacing approximately 33% of the fluid. In your case I would recommend doing some drain and fill at very short intervals (300-500) miles initially to get the Lucas out. How often you should change the fluid can be determined by how black the transmission fluid that drains out of the transmission.
        Oh I see. That makes sence. I'll do a flush, drive for a bout 300 miles n repeat. Dam that's prolly gonna b expensive tho. How much is Honda trans fluid?
        BLOOD ON THE LEAVES

Comment

Buy your fluid from Honda. Many fluids say they will work... and many do not. Use Honda fluid, not "fluid that Napa says will work".

Don't blame your friend. You followed his advice blindly. It's your car. You make the decisions.

Also, please use the edit button if you have something to add. Don't post twice in a row. My password is long and complicated, and I have to input it every time I merge posts. It's much easier for me to just delete your thread.

Comment

Ya your right. I should did my own research. I'll look online for some Honda fluid. And ya my bad still new to this. I was wondering how people could reply to multiple people in one post.
            BLOOD ON THE LEAVES

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by RoseRoyce View Post
                Oh I see. That makes sence. I'll do a flush, drive for a bout 300 miles n repeat. Dam that's prolly gonna b expensive tho. How much is Honda trans fluid?
                It cost me little over $50 to buy 6 bottles but it was worth it because my trans feels like its getting better.

Comment

Don't go to E-bay or some site to buy the fluid. Your transmission was designed by very serious meticulous Japanese engineers. They spent many hours and days studying the mechanisms and what makes it run...they turn out products that if faulty, they are very upset and shamed. Thus..they know how the transmission works and they know and told us.."use only Honda fluid and none other" They didn't do this to make money..they did it because they made it to take only this to run perfect.
                  Think about that next time some "sales parts guy" at an Auto parts store says "Yea...this will work, it says for foreign cars " (he is holding a bottle of yellow pee for all you know) Do it right...spend the buck ..go to Honda.

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                  New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                  My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

I'm sure you can buy real Honda fluid on ebay, or other online sources... but I'm sure there must be a Honda dealership near you. I can drive to 5 of them in less than half an hour myself!

Comment

Could the shift solenoid be part of the problem as well?
                      BLOOD ON THE LEAVES

Comment

I would say the motor\trans mounts.

Comment

Oh ya your right. My friend told me that I need new mounts I forgot about that. That could be part of it
                          BLOOD ON THE LEAVES

Comment

If a solenoid is going out, it will stay in 4th normally. You will also get a flashing D4 light fairly quick. I just replaced my shift solenoid on Monday. When you go to buy your fluid, ask the parts guy if they will give you a quantity discount. The guy here did and fluid went from $8.93 a quart to arounf $6 a quart. I bought 7 since I had to do a transmission swap.

Comment

Just in case you are not familiar of what the shift solenoid looks like, I sourced a picture when I did mine:

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                              New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                              My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Working...
                              X