Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1" Drop Have Big Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1" Drop Have Big Effects

Will I be seeing any camber with a 1" drop that would affect grip with out the use of any camber correction kit?
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

You will need a camber kit, don't care what anyone else says.

I dropped a few cb7's with prokits and I usually am around 1 degree negative camber.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Ok thanks for the reply.

Comment

No, you will not need a camber kit. You will need to get an alignment done and make sure your toe adjustment is set to stock specifications.
        Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
        Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
        Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
        Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
        Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
        Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
          You will need a camber kit, don't care what anyone else says.

I dropped a few cb7's with prokits and I usually am around 1 degree negative camber.
          You realize that -1 degree is within spec right? I would rather have -1 than 0 or +1. Fattycat has the correct answer for you OP.

Comment

with a 1" drop you should not need a camber kit. im dropped 2" and i dont need a camber kit. HOWEVER, all cb's are diffrent. i would go ahead and lower it and plan on getting a kit. you might not need it. but i would plan for it.

going 1 " lower should not really have any diffrent affects on your car unless your running preformance shocks.
            visit vgruk

Comment

All CBs were made to the same specs. Any differences now are a result of worn components or body damage.

A 1" drop (which is hard to do... Tokico spring/shock combo?) will give a very small degree of negative camber. I don't know how much precisely, but chances are you'll probably not notice any accelerated wear on your tires because of it. If you want it to be 100% correct in terms of stock camber, then yes, you will need a kit. Every drop, even the one provided by saggy 20 year old stock springs, results in some degree negative camber. The lower you go, the more negative camber you get. It's simple geometry.

Comment

Im running -1.25 degrees of camber in the front with no issues of wear. When you get your alignment just make sure that your toe is within spec. That is what is going to eat your tires away.

Comment

Toe and camber are two different angles. Negative camber causes uneven wear. Mild negative camber may not cause a significant amount of wear over the natural life of the tire, but it WILL result in at least a mild degree of wear.
                  It's really not a matter of opinion. It's geometry. It is what it is.
                  Also, different tire sizes and compounds will experience varying degrees of wear.

Comment

It is not wear I am too worried about, what my concern is I could lose grip from the minor bit of camber, the drop is about as "show" I will go rest is "go". Will it hindrr me in cornering in a significant way?

Comment

No, my car is all go and im running more than -1 in camber and have not noticed and issue with loss of traction or issues with cornering

Comment

Well I still have some time before I make any purchases, more time to think. It is nice to have a plan.

Comment

A little bit of negative camber is good for cornering vs having positive camber or none at all. Most race cars run a slight degree of negative camber. All my Porsche's in my showroom are running at least -1.0 camber from the factory, with the owners sometimes widening out to -1.5 or -1.75.

Your best bet is to drop your car, go corner or practice whatever event you plan on entering, and then compare that with a camber kit installed. So either way it's always good to have one on hand. You may change tires and the other brand may react differently to negative camber.
                          '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                          If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Agreed. A slight degree of negative camber can only help in corners. Until, of course, the inner edges of your tires wear out. But as long as your toe is set properly, -1 degree or so is likely not going to cause a dangerous amount of wear during the tire's normal lifespan. The serious camber wear is found on cars that ride around looking like this /---\

Some cars seem to have a fairly large amount of negative camber in stock form. Drive behind a BMW X5 and you'll actually be able to see it! Then again, their suspensions are very different, and those are also cars that are purchased by people that the engineers can pretty safely assume will keep up with regular maintenance... so even if those $300 tires do wear unevenly, they'll end up being replaced before they're a danger.

Comment

So the lowering is more than cosmetic, I like it.
                              Some cars seem to have a fairly large amount of negative camber in stock form. Drive behind a BMW X5 and you'll actually be able to see it! Then again, their suspensions are very different, and those are also cars that are purchased by people that the engineers can pretty safely assume will keep up with regular maintenance... so even if those $300 tires do wear unevenly, they'll end up being replaced before they're a danger.
                              In my part of town, people here only buy brand new Mercs and BMWs so finding the X5 is not too difficult, but people here also do not know that cars need to be serviced. I may by over-exaggerating, but not by much.

Comment

Working...
                              X