Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car "sputters" "lags" until CEL goes on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car "sputters" "lags" until CEL goes on

So here's the situation:

Start car.
    Set to (D). Drive away.
    Before I can get to 20mph, car starts to ''sputter" and wont pass 3.5k RPM.
    It gets like that and slowly picks up speed but continues to sputter.

Until finally, it gives way, and the CEL goes on, and it runs fine.

I have no idea what issues it may have. A friend of mine says it could be the spark plugs. I haven't change that in less than ... say... 6 months before I changed the valve cover gasket because oil WAS getting into the spark plug chambers and I've changed the gaskets already.

Any ideas?

Are you getting and CEL when you start the car?

Comment

It's similar to what I had experienced when I had new Bosch O2 sensor installed. Replaced that sensor with Denso O2 sensor and problem was gone.
      A&P-IA

Comment

First step is to pull the CEL code and get back to us. We don't want shooting info in the dark.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
        1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
        2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
        2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
        2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
        2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Originally posted by pupildel View Post
          Are you getting and CEL when you start the car?
          Nah, it only happens when I'm driving for the first five-ten minutes.

Originally posted by ExplodingCake View Post
          First step is to pull the CEL code and get back to us. We don't want shooting info in the dark.
          Yeah I'll do that and let you know

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
          It's similar to what I had experienced when I had new Bosch O2 sensor installed. Replaced that sensor with Denso O2 sensor and problem was gone.
          I'll find out the code first then see..
          Last edited by dj_ender; 06-04-2013, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Weird . Could be 02sensor or maybe a bad ecu . Not 100% sure pull your codes first .

Comment

The ECU runs in what is called "open loop mode" on startup, and whenever the CEL is on. "Open loop mode" runs on a preset fuel table, rather than on feedback from sensors. "Closed loop mode" is how the ECU operates once the car reaches operating temperature. In this mode, it is constantly adjusting the fuel mixture using sensor feedback (the o2 sensor is one of the big ones.)

A bad o2 sensor would cause the car to run very poorly once it has reached operating temperature, until that check engine light turns on. So yes, chances are good that the o2 sensor is indeed the culprit. When you pull that error code, it is likely to be either 41 or 43... or both. Pull the code. If it's either of those, replace the o2 sensor with a Denso or NGK/NTK unit. No Bosch. As oyajicool mentioned already, Bosch sensors don't work properly for our cars.

Also, use the "edit" button if you want to reply to more than one post at a time, or add anything to a post. I see that a moderator has already merged 3 of your posts. It won't happen a second time. Your posts, maybe your entire thread, will simply be deleted.

Comment

Thanks deever. Yeah Im on my phone and it's not as easy replying like it is on the computer. But I will keep that in mind for future reference.

Comment

Check your cel code. try simply unplugging the o2, if it runs better, start there.

Comment

Well, I still haven't checked the code, lol. But here's the update.. so far, the sputtering has stopped.

But, now when I start my car, the CEL goes on and now the car runs somewhat 'better'. As if nothing is wrong. But there should be! The CEL is on. haha.

But when I can get the homie to come around and check what code it is, I'll come back and let you guys know.

THanks.

Comment

come on bro it's not hard to do . check this out .

this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
                      How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
                      Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

That was easy to do! Now I'll definitely get back to you guys with what the code is. Thanks!

Comment

Code 1 , 41 , 43 are the codes it's telling me

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=21259

This will show you exactly what those codes are.

Comment

Next step is to search the meaning of those codes.

Comment

Working...
                              X