Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Door Stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Stuck

93 LX 2 door manual

Hey everyone, this has been going on for a long time now. My driver side door will not open and does nothing when pulling either the inside of the outside handle. I have looked in the DIY thread for seized latch repair and about everywhere on the internet and I have a few questions.

I really am not sure sure where to drill at exactly. The pictures are somewhat lacking. If anyone has more/better pictures and or an explanation it would be greatly appreciated.

Is there anything to try at all before going to drilling when neither of your handles are working? Is there any other way of going about it?

Does anyone know where to get a new latch mechanism? One repair shop quoted me $280 just for the part alone.

Any help with this will be SO greatly appreciated because I really don't have $500 to take it in to a repair shop but I also hate to mess up door panels or anything because my car is in really good shape.

Before doing that take off the panel and look where the latch meets the handle. There should be a rod that gets lifted up when the handle is pulled up. These can come off making it impossible to open the door. If so, hook it to the plastic thing it goes into and see if it goes up and down. My passenger side door did that.

Comment

It happened to me a couple years ago ..

My door latch acuator (or, whatever it's called) froze up.
      I went to the JY and got a COMPLETE drivers door for 50 bucks.

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
        Before doing that take off the panel and look where the latch meets the handle. There should be a rod that gets lifted up when the handle is pulled up. These can come off making it impossible to open the door. If so, hook it to the plastic thing it goes into and see if it goes up and down. My passenger side door did that.
        I would do as recommended by Chris. I just changed my exterior handle (driver side) and from time to time it does go out of the plastic ring. You have to mark the treads on the rod before removing your handle. That way the movement required to open your latch by the new handle will be the same as the old one. Therefor no troubles like mine... Ebay have some new handles for around 30$. Diagnose your problem carefully before attempting drilling anything

Comment

Well this happened to me a few months back and I had to resort to the drilling method. I tried following the DIY but drilling in that exact spot did nothing for me. I had to pretty much destroy the latch with an air chisel and drill until it gave way. Some people have more luck than others with this.

Also I bought just the latch itself from the junkyard for $15. Takes no more than 10mins to pull it out.

Here is also another method if you so choose. It involves cutting the b pillar unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF4cwutEE7Q

Last edited by KanYarK; 05-29-2013, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KanYarK View Post

fixed

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
            Originally posted by Stephen Fry
            'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
            Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I have done a few, mainly civics that were 2 door. I hate it. But I tear out the door panel from inside, or wedge it and I start hacking at the latch unit from inside. I hate it. Takes me around 45 minutes to get it out.

That video you posted is a good idea.
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I like how the video referred to our CB7s as "common as dirt"...funny.

"There are only two types of people in this world... Those who run & win, and those who sit at the sidelines & watch the winners pass them by."

My YouTube Channel! - There's more videos here!
                Check 'em out, hit LIKE, or even better, stay updated with more vids when you SUBSCRIBE, including vids of my JDM H23A swap!

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post

That video you posted is a good idea.
                  That is sooo dope, coulda saved me from alll the headache with my sedan.
                  I wish there was a "preventative maint." type tip someone knew about to stay ontop of this.
                  I hope my wagon never does this .. again!

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                    If this rod to the outer handle comes out, shouldn't he still be able to open the door from the inside?

Don't cut the B pillar. I bought two latch mechanisms from the JY; butchered one to determine where I had to drill the back of the latch from inside the door to release it. Take the driver seat out and you should be able to remove the inner panel from the door without damaging it. Then drill the latch from inside the door.

As for sources, JY obviously, check craigslist in cities near you (or further away, they may be willing to ship). What part of the country are you in?
                    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 06-01-2013, 02:12 PM.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                      If this rod to the outer handle comes out, shouldn't he still be able to open the door from the inside?

Don't cut the B pillar. I bought two latch mechanisms from the JY; butchered one to determine where I had to drill the back of the latch from inside the door to release it. Take the driver seat out and you should be able to remove the inner panel from the door without damaging it. Then drill the latch from inside the door.

As for sources, JY obviously, check craigslist in cities near you (or further away, they may be willing to ship). What part of the country are you in?
                      This is really the only way to properly handle this w/out making things a lot worse. I have done this twice in my life, and, this is EXACTLY how I did it too.
                      Originally posted by wed3k
                      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

i have done this more than once also. not sure how precise the drilling has to be. i think i have just gotten lucky.but just keep in mind that the objective is to drill a hole so that you can touch the part of the latch that rotates so you can rotate it to open. i used a flathead after i made the hole.

make sure you buy a drill bit that isn't cheap. later.
                        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I had problems with both latches on my Integra, wont open from inside or outside. The problem was the lock/unlock wasn't fully unlocking. I removed the door panel which was a pain and blasted the lock levers with wd40. I moved the levers back and forth until it would move enough to unlock.

That worked for a while and then start having issues again. After that, I removed the latches a put a screw through the latch to keep the unlock lever from moving. Now the doors don't lock but I never had another problem with either of them.

Cutting the pillar, then try to cut the bolts, and then the striker would be a last resort after removing the door panel and trying to move the latch from the inside. With millions of accords in the junkyard, I would rather replace a damaged door panel that scratching up my door and pillar.
                          Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

My mechanic said he does not think it is the linkages. It seems like drilling it out is hit or miss too. Seems like trying to find a new door is the only way to go. Does anyone know where to buy a brand new latch assembly? I would hate to go through all this trouble and put a latch back in that could break at any time. The JY I have talked to want way more than $50 for a coupe door. Has anyone bought one recently in good condition so I can know a base price to negotiate at?

Thank you all so much for the help. This door is really starting to be a pain in my side and I certainly would hate to have to pay someone $500-600 to fix it.

Comment

Just read the post, and wanted to see how much would it cost to just replace it b4 it would happen...whoa!

Majestic Honda - Door Lock

Comment

Working...
                              X