Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

need turbo recomendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need turbo recomendation

doing my first turbo build on a honda anyway.

hp goal is 300 to 350hp on f22ax

i have the piston/rod combo from bisi on the way 86mm pistons
    i will be using the bisi 1.2 cam (unless i get better recommendations)
    i would like to keep stock sleeves . from what i understand the f head should be good for this power without any other work other then cam. needing to be done to it.
    i have a a6 intake and an a4 intake to choose from.

i need a turbo recommendation if this will even be possible

i would like to turbo to be fully spooled around 3000rpm or really close to this and starting to build boost much lower then this since cruise is 2200ish rpm most the time.

also i would like to keep the rev limit around 6500 rpm. im looking to build a high torque frequently driven car.
    my build
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202734

You may want to check out domesticated's turbo sizing guide. It's got a ton of information in it and takes a while to go all the way through. But, turbocharging your daily driver is not a proposition to be taken lightly.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Treadstone's kit is a very good place to start.
      You don't want a turbo that is too small, as small turbos generate a considerable amount of heat. You'll nuke your engine, even with the upgraded internals (which, I must say, it's refreshing to see a new member that already understands the importance of forged internals for turbo!)

I wouldn't push overbored sleeves beyond 300whp. The F22Ax is an open deck design, and you'll be weakening the sleeves by boring them. If you push too hard, you may crack a sleeve.
      After owning a 240hp/280tq Grand Prix GTP, I can say that 300whp will be PLENTY on a daily driven FWD car! It was far too easy to break the tires loose on that GTP in stock form, and you'll be making even more power!

So, do research on your turbo size, as Jarrett said. Spooling low seems good... but it'll kill fuel efficiency and increase wear considerably.

Also, your best bet for an intake manifold would be the H23A1 manifold. Larger plenum and throttle body. If you want to stick to the F22A parts, the F22A6 manifold is superior to the F22A1/F22A4 manifold (they are identical.)

Comment

Evo III big 16g would be your best bet for price vs spool time and hp.

If you were to decide to go this route you could save a ton of money by using the DSM stuff for your build. The parts for those cars are cheap cheap cheap, in the 4 cyl world, due to over marketing.

You could see this power potential with ease, my biggest concern would be cylinder shift.
        "Self Renewed"

Comment

Originally posted by KeeleDesign View Post
          Evo III big 16g would be your best bet for price vs spool time and hp.

If you were to decide to go this route you could save a ton of money by using the DSM stuff for your build. The parts for those cars are cheap cheap cheap, in the 4 cyl world, due to over marketing.

You could see this power potential with ease, my biggest concern would be cylinder shift.

This.
          Originally posted by wed3k
          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

the dsm with a 16g turbo is what i wanted to do because i would like to keep my a/c haha
            . i have heard there is 2 16g turbos should i go with a small or big one. i was just worried that the 16g has a late spool but if it dont im back looking for a dsm setup
            my build

Comment

I had full spool at 3200 rpms meaning 28psi by that. On a 2.0L

Your 2.2 will be sooner.
              "Self Renewed"

Comment

Originally posted by KeeleDesign View Post
                I had full spool at 3200 rpms meaning 28psi by that. On a 2.0L

Your 2.2 will be sooner.

this is exactly what i want just less boost... thanks

big 16g it is
                Last edited by v8vega355; 05-14-2013, 01:11 AM.
                my build

Comment

The big 16g evo3 would definitely would be my first suggestion. But lets look at something different.

Obviously the t3/t4 ain't new to everyone? Hasn't anyone hear of the 20g?

Or atleast a 16g housing ported for a 20g compressor to fit right in, from what I've heard it spools stupid fast!

Originally posted by deevergote
                  .......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

^^^
                    Your talking about a setup that I had once upon a time.

To take advantage of the 20g in the ported housing, you need to clip it 15* otherwise around 6600 rpms the turbo begins to surge, after clipping I had power into the 8K range with 49lb a minute.

With that being said, once you clip the turbo to become efficient in such a small housing, you loose spool, I had full boost in the 4300-4700 rpm's depending on engine temps.
                    Even so The turbo did not come alive until 28-36 psi. and after 30psi you risk blowing oil seals in a short amount of time.

This would neither be fast spooling or low rpm boosting.
                    The big 16g has made a dependable 360-400hp for many years on 2.0l cars.
                    "Self Renewed"

Comment

how much of a hp differance would the small 16g make. i found one for 350 pulled from an evo with everything attached to it twin scroll and everthing
                      my build

Comment

Originally posted by v8vega355 View Post
                        how much of a hp differance would the small 16g make. i found one for 350 pulled from an evo with everything attached to it twin scroll and everthing
                        I would say 300 hp then it's time to go bigger, for a small 16g it's really not that smaller than a Big Evo III 16g either. I seen people queeze out 350 hp out of a big 16g and that's pushing it with all the support mods and fine tuning.

350 for a small 16g is pretty good though you have to make sure it's not blown, waste gate actuator works, and no play at all then it'll be worth the buy.

Originally posted by deevergote
                        .......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

I know that you already spent a pretty penny for all that you've done so far but, what kind of a budget are you working with for your turbo, if you don't mind me askin? Because if I had a little more cash to play with, go with a new turbo instead of an old one where you don't know what kind it's in or how much abuse it's been through. I would gear towards Ball bearing types because of the faster throttle responses, reduced oil flow, and improved durability, since you mentioned "frequent driving".

Just my two cents...

"There are only two types of people in this world... Those who run & win, and those who sit at the sidelines & watch the winners pass them by."

My YouTube Channel! - There's more videos here!
                          Check 'em out, hit LIKE, or even better, stay updated with more vids when you SUBSCRIBE, including vids of my JDM H23A swap!

Comment

A twin scroll evo..... 16g. hmmm.

You better look twice, as I bet this is a reverse scroll turbo, thus it spins the opposite direction, and may not work for you.
                            You can get big 16g's with everything in great shape in the $300 range used all day long.

Also another point on the 20g comment.
                            A hx35 cummins billet turbo in a bep exhaust housing would outflow and out spool a 20g turbo by leaps and bounds, and it will be the only turbo I ever use in the future.
                            "Self Renewed"

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

this is what i was looking at. may be an adaptor or something bolted to it after i looked again
                              my build

Comment

Working...
                              X