Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

when i start my car when its cold it dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when i start my car when its cold it dies

when i start my car when its cold it putters then dies this started happening when i got my 2 1/2in exhaust put on never did it before this in the 3 years i had it just started after the exhaust got put on . its a strait pipe all the way back no cat no more just from my header to my flow master. is it geting to much air flow and not enough back compressions.or is it something elts

I highly doubt that it has anything to do with your exhaust. It's just a coincidence.
    92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
    2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

You need to inspect the FITV and the air boost valve. Most likely the FITV needs adjusted.
      Originally posted by Mishakol129
      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by dayzielynn View Post
        when i start my car when its cold it putters then dies this started happening when i got my 2 1/2in exhaust put on never did it before this in the 3 years i had it just started after the exhaust got put on . its a strait pipe all the way back no cat no more just from my header to my flow master. is it geting to much air flow and not enough back compressions.or is it something elts
        An engine is a huge air pump. You cannot throw on a 2.5" exhaust without modifying your engine to pull in more air. Then you will be faced with the issue of too lean of an air-fuel ratio. I digress. Without knowing your setup, I would recommend having a justifiable reason for every single part you put on your CB7. I HIGHLY doubt you needed a 2.5" straight pipe exhaust. You could need new spark plugs, you might need your fuel system cleaned out, etc.

WTF IS BACK COMPRESSION?! Substitute that nonsensical word with "exhaust restriction".

Comment

Originally posted by 7cb7 View Post
          I would recommend having a justifiable reason for every single part you put on your CB7.

WTF IS BACK COMPRESSION?! Substitute that nonsensical word with "exhaust restriction".
          Keep calm and carry on 7cb7. Nobody has to justify anything to you.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/571...sure-the-myth/

Comment

Originally posted by 5sp5drCB View Post
            Keep calm and carry on 7cb7. Nobody has to justify anything to you.
            Sorry I did not mean to sound like a dickhead Also, these are great links with lots of information. Much appreciated.
            Last edited by 7cb7; 04-19-2013, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5sp5drCB View Post
              He's absolutely right. "back compression" is nonsense. He's not asking for the mods to be justified to HIM... he's saying that every mod should have a purpose that is understood by the owner of the car. If the owner doesn't understand what they are doing to their car, they shouldn't be doing anything at all!

Those links are meaningless if directed at 7cb7. He is quite right about the exhaust size. Too large of an exhaust will result in a turbulent exhaust flow at low velocity, which will itself become a restriction. At low speeds, the exhaust will be far too large for the amount of exhaust being expelled. Without at least a larger intake manifold and an upgraded camshaft, there's no need for anything larger than 2.36" on a CB7 (normally I'd say 2.25", but most imported exhausts are 60mm, which is 2.362")
              If the links are for the OP, you should probably mention that the term she should be looking to understand is "back pressure".

Comment

I was kinda being a dick too, so for that I apologize.

I felt that by the way she worded her question she meant "back pressure" and not "back compression". I just didn't feel like taking it to a literal level and pointing it out to her. I'm not an English teacher.

"You cannot throw on a 2.5" exhaust without modifying your engine to pull in more air."--Sure you can, people do it all the time. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but you CAN do it....and this is a perfect example of not understanding your modifications.

I didn't direct those links toward anyone in particular. I was just leaving them in this thread(exhaust related) so people can learn a little more about exhaust systems and the way they work. If the OP reads thru them and understands them she may be able to answer her own question.

It's all good.

Comment

I'm sure she did mean back pressure, though it helps to teach people the correct terms if they're going to ask questions about them. It helps them understand what they're doing, and it helps keep them from looking stupid in the future!

You're right. You CAN put a 2.5" exhaust on a stock engine. It won't hurt anything, but it won't be beneficial... and it certainly won't help a no-start situation.

Comment

On topic. Does it start on second or third try? If so I think it could be oil in your distributor. Or plugs/wires often cold start related issues are electrical.
                    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Working...
                    X