Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Best ride shocks and springs or coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
    Sleeves are no go because they don't have good travel.

If I were to go with full body coils, I'd stick with either Nex GTs or the Tokico Illumina RAKs. I had Nex SS on my Maxima and it wasn't bouncy at all, actually rode better than stock with stiffer springs. They are also better because they have twin tube shocks as opposed to monotube, which makes for a softer damping curve and less oil cavitation (like a stock shock or Koni Yellows). And Tokicos are the only legit coilover brand for our cars. Its all about the shock, not the springs.
    What was the deal with Nex? Are they the same Function and Form/Ksport/D2/Megan/etc that are all made in Korea/Thailand, etc?

I know Megan coilovers are made by BC, but I'm not sure if Megan/BC have applications for the CB.

Comment

Great input guys, def going with H&R springs on koni yellows..needed to here it one more time lol. Is it worth it for an auto ?

Comment

Originally posted by Secondtonone View Post
        Great input guys, def going with H&R springs on koni yellows..needed to here it one more time lol. Is it worth it for an auto ?
        Good choice. And yes, good suspension on an auto will still be a worthwhile improvement.

Originally posted by lariel62789 View Post
        Hey Guys,

I currently own a 93 CB7 COUPE. I currently running on GR2 KYB with a 3in drop. im looking to maintain the same drop but looking for better shocks. the ones that i have are blown. so i want a big drop but a good ride. I HATE the Bouncing. if i wanted a bouncy ride i would of gone with coilovers.

shunk 2 springs
        KYB GR2 shocks
        are the car now

What's the best combination of big drop springs with good stiff enough shocks, giving me a good over all ride?
        Do what the guy I quoted above is doing. You won't regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
          What was the deal with Nex? Are they the same Function and Form/Ksport/D2/Megan/etc that are all made in Korea/Thailand, etc?

I know Megan coilovers are made by BC, but I'm not sure if Megan/BC have applications for the CB.
          I'm not sure what the deal is. I think they might be the same Taiwanese stuff, but they use completely different (and IMO better) shocks than all the other companies. Twin tube, which is better for the kind of suspension movement you see on the street, and in the case of the adjustable ones only 4 levels of adjustment, which is better- more consistency and reliability. I had the non adjustables on my Maxima and drove up to the BX every day for work. Those roads were really bad. Coilovers ate em up no problem.

Originally posted by lordoja
          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Nex looks like cheap crap, is priced like cheap crap, but I've yet to hear anything bad about them. I don't know enough people on this forum that have used them on their CBs, so I can't say for or against... but I'd definitely give Nex or Megan Racing serious consideration over crap like D2, Omnipower, and Blackworks.
            For cheap (sub-$1000) systems, I'd choose Function and Form Autolife over pretty much anything. I'm sure their manufacturing is done in the same crap factories as many of the other junk brands out there, but the engineering seems to be done a bit better. They're intended for street use, not just some hack race parts for ricers that want to pretend their rustbucket is a race car. However, they're versatile enough for casual track use.

I'm honestly not sure is anyone one here has any truly high-end performance suspension components. There are only a handful of people here that actually compete on a track, and even those people seem to be on a rather limited budget (not difficult... racing, even cheap racing, is expensive as shit!)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Nex looks like cheap crap, is priced like cheap crap, but I've yet to hear anything bad about them. I don't know enough people on this forum that have used them on their CBs, so I can't say for or against... but I'd definitely give Nex or Megan Racing serious consideration over crap like D2, Omnipower, and Blackworks.
              For cheap (sub-$1000) systems, I'd choose Function and Form Autolife over pretty much anything. I'm sure their manufacturing is done in the same crap factories as many of the other junk brands out there, but the engineering seems to be done a bit better. They're intended for street use, not just some hack race parts for ricers that want to pretend their rustbucket is a race car. However, they're versatile enough for casual track use.

I'm honestly not sure is anyone one here has any truly high-end performance suspension components. There are only a handful of people here that actually compete on a track, and even those people seem to be on a rather limited budget (not difficult... racing, even cheap racing, is expensive as shit!)
              Does KW make anything for our cars?

Honestly, Eibach/Neuspeed/H&R combined with Koni Yellows are truly the way to go. The height adjustable perches are where its at. I'd email Koni and see if they have any information on what the correct drop spring is to make sure you're not riding on the bumpstops though.

Cheap coilovers are what they say...cheap. Sure, you can slam them to get a stanced look, but performance wise they truly offer no significant advantage over a proper spring/strut combo for a daily driven car.

Comment

OP: what kind of budget are you working around? Best to buy new or used if you know the person.
                Shocks and spring combo would be your best option like posted above. Only coilover sleeve I would go with is Eibach Ground Control but its not cheap (top hats are additional). Tokico Illumina/ H&R sport springs another good option they're 5-way adjustable and less $ than Koni Yellows. I had those on my EG for awhile loved the ride and look then got KSport full body coilovers, too stiff, wish I kept old set up =,( oh well got to learn somehow. I might look into Function and form but my preference is Koni Yellows/ Ground Control or H&R . I want to do it right with this build.
                Measure twice cut once

Comment

Koni Yellows FTW! Adjustable Perches FTW! No one ever complains about their Yellows...(Except Deev, his are old and rusty,.. IIRC...hehe!!)

Koni Online is having a sale right now too....I never knew the MSRP on these were so high...good to know.

"Externally Adjustable.

These dampers can be adjusted, literally at the turn of a knob, a technique borrowed from Formula-1 racing where KONI dampers have dominated the field for years. One can switch back and forth, in most cases in a matter of seconds, from a comfortable "touring" setting to a more firm setting for a sporty drive. By means of a knob damping forces can be altered to driving conditions or personal preferences."-Koni
                  Last edited by DanCan; 03-20-2013, 12:27 AM.

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    No bashing. Those are just very poorly matched components, and your car is very dangerous. I hope you don't hurt anyone.
                    Well i havent so far lol and so far rides good no issues but i am looking into FF type 2 i need a few more bucks to go and i could get them

Comment

When you guys talk about ride quality comparable to the smooth ride OEM has does that mean it has the same amount of body roll? o.O

Comment

Originally posted by RedFalcoln View Post
                        When you guys talk about ride quality comparable to the smooth ride OEM has does that mean it has the same amount of body roll? o.O
                        Lowering your cars center mass will reduce body roll. Having Poly end links will also help body roll and not compromise ride quality.

This is more about a CB doing Daily Driving and will never see a AutoX course or ever care too. Lowering for looks, not performance, OP said "family Car" body roll is not an issue.
                        I think my Koni/STechs ride better than stock!! Having it on full soft, Cadillac.

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

I don't get why you can't ask where to buy parts, like a nice local shop that deals with specifically your car.

I understand not being allowed to ask members for their parts or sell... but not being able to asking where to source parts sucks

Comment

Because when you ask where to buy something, some dumbass ALWAYS says "I have one I can sell you!"... and then you both get banned. Permanently.

Comment

Working...
                            X