Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

mx6 turbo on F22a ? Turbo noob here.. Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mx6 turbo on F22a ? Turbo noob here.. Please help

**I am aware this is the wrong section for this thread, But i am sill an amateur on this website so i cannot post in forced induction. **

I was in class today and a buddy was talking about parting out his mx6, then he offered me his turbo and intercooler for super cheap. I have not even seen the car so i dont know what condition it is in.
    And the kid next to him said he had an f22a turbo manifold and downpipe...

Really had me considering the boost route.
    I have a basic idea But what all would i need to successfully turbo my f22a @5-7 psi ? i know stock ecu and injectors wouldn't work to well right ? I dont really know anything about aftermarket ecu's or boosting ..

I would recommend getting the parts just because its good to have random parts you may or may not use in the future already at your disposal. But if you just look around the site theres plenty of people boosting so simply look at their cars to determine what you need. a basic rundown would be the turbo, intercooler, piping, bov, chipped ecu (p06?), dsm 440cc injectors are commonly used and a walbro 255 pump for safe measure.

Edit: Also you may want to consider adding a little more cash into your budget because this will need to be tuned after its all done.
    Last edited by MrTShoff; 03-08-2013, 11:12 PM. Reason: Added some information.
    Looking for a new CB. Sell me yours!

Comment

I wouldn't boost the stock engine unless you have another car.
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Dsm injectors and a Walbro 190 would be plenty for that amount of boost. We, as is dsm guys, use 190s when we are upping the boost above 15-16psi or going to a bigger turbo at the same amount of boost. No need to go bigger than you need to. As far as the mx6 turbo, I'm not too sure on its size, but if it's the right price then go for it

Comment

on his mx6 his computer cuts the injectors at 13 psi ? so i'm guessing it cannot handle to much. I'd just like to run lowww boost , like daily driver, The cars got 205k and runs great.I got open shop at uti so she gets taken care of But it is my only car ... I think I am going to just buy the turbo and intercooler and hang on to them. He said he'll hook it up.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Coupe <3 View Post
            on his mx6 his computer cuts the injectors at 13 psi ? so i'm guessing it cannot handle to much. I'd just like to run lowww boost , like daily driver, The cars got 205k and runs great.I got open shop at uti so she gets taken care of But it is my only car ... I think I am going to just buy the turbo and intercooler and hang on to them. He said he'll hook it up.
            With it being your only car I would be a bit iffy putting a turbo setup on it. You may not have any motor issues, but the downtown of getting the turbo setup on and then working out any kinks really make it difficult to drive it, obviously. As you said though, you may still get them and hang onto them. Also, I would do some research on the turbo and see what spool is like, quality of them, what power/boost they max out on etc.

Comment

I believe this is the turbo .. IHI RHB52 KW VJ-11

I am going to go check it out next week.

Comment

We know the rules. You don't have to explain why you can't post in the forced induction section. This is the correct section for your question.

It took 7 posts to get to the fact that it's an IHI turbo. That's a start. You'll need an exhaust manifold with a proper flange. Everything else is about the same as any other setup.

The MX6 turbo engine was a 2.2L, if I recall, so the size should be about right. Of course, that engine only made 145hp... only 5hp more than the F22A6!

Keep in mind that without forged internals, you're likely to blow your engine very quickly.
                You'll also need to figure out how you're going to tune it.

Comment

i recently switched from a civic to a cb7, i run a shop and it took me 2 days of my full attention to get the turbo set up right. It takes time, thought, and a whole lot of patience. Make sure you have another mode of transportation in the down time, you never know when you're liable to need to make an auto parts run.

Comment

And if you retain stock internals, you WILL break a ringland. It's just a matter of time. Days, weeks, months... maybe years... but wouldn't count on years.

Comment

Originally posted by 1991_cb7_dx View Post
                      i recently switched from a civic to a cb7, i run a shop and it took me 2 days of my full attention to get the turbo set up right. It takes time, thought, and a whole lot of patience. Make sure you have another mode of transportation in the down time, you never know when you're liable to need to make an auto parts run.
                      That's what i figured, i might buy the turbo just to hang onto if the price is right.
                      But turbo is not the way to go right now, i cannot afford it.

Just got a little excited at the thought of boost..

Comment

i ran 8 psi without a problem on a bone stock 141k mile having f22a1 for 6k miles and all i changed was a fuel pump and injectors ... but i didnt kill it every time i took off either.... so maybe luck of the draw???

Comment

Just because "XYZ did it" doesn't mean it's scripture. You said you ran it for 6k miles? What happened? You blew it up? Or you took it off before it blew?
                          '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                          If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

i got clipped in the back end in the rain and spun into a wall going 90

Comment

As I said, a matter of time. Some people get lucky and don't blow up right away. As these engines get older, the amount of time you're likely to have on a boosted stock block decreases.

It's a simple fact. The stock blocks used fairly fragile cast aluminum pistons. Perfect for what they were designed to do, but they don't hold up to much abuse otherwise.
                              A beginner will be even more likely to do damage, as they won't know how to properly tune the ECU, they will likely use whatever parts they could get cheap, and they'll be so impressed with the extra power that they won't drive it easy. Even 6psi with a proper setup WILL break a ringland eventually.

Comment

Working...
                              X