Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Steering Vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Vibration

Hey guys...Got problem with my steering in 100kph i can feel the vibration, need your expertise, thanks.
    私はフィリピン人

these cars are 20 years old chances are its gunna shake like a junkie going through withdrawls.

maybe look into some new motor mounts. it's a good idea anyways and reduce wheel hop. so theoretically you get an improved launch off the line. might reduce ammount of steering wheel shake as well like at idle and stuff.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Mounts are unlikely to contribute to steering wheel shake at speed...

Check your alignment, tire condition, tire balance, ball joints, tie rods, sway bar bushings, brake rotors, and shocks.

Comment

Alot of times it is an unbalanced tire. Or a tire that is old and lumpy or has started to get belt seperation. I have also seen where a warped rotor and sticky caliper has cause vibrations/shakes but you would also notice a slight pull to one side and feel a pulse when braking. A quick way to test if its a tire is rotate the front tires to the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
          these cars are 20 years old chances are its gunna shake like a junkie going through withdrawls.

maybe look into some new motor mounts. it's a good idea anyways and reduce wheel hop. so theoretically you get an improved launch off the line. might reduce ammount of steering wheel shake as well like at idle and stuff.
          thanks man for the info. I already suspected the engine mount at the back.
          私はフィリピン人

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Mounts are unlikely to contribute to steering wheel shake at speed...

Check your alignment, tire condition, tire balance, ball joints, tie rods, sway bar bushings, brake rotors, and shocks.
            Hey good to hear from you again, I already check my alignment and told the guy that my tire is too big cant handle by axle (logically possible) but I saw my control arm bushing already need to replace, the rest were okay. thanks for the advise it certainly help.
            私はフィリピン人

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyD View Post
              Alot of times it is an unbalanced tire. Or a tire that is old and lumpy or has started to get belt seperation. I have also seen where a warped rotor and sticky caliper has cause vibrations/shakes but you would also notice a slight pull to one side and feel a pulse when braking. A quick way to test if its a tire is rotate the front tires to the rear.
              thanks man for the info, just need to check all you have mentioned.
              私はフィリピン人

Comment

Originally posted by roland lorenzo View Post
                Hey good to hear from you again, I already check my alignment and was informed by the guy that my tire is too big cant handle by axle (logically possible) but I saw my control arm bushing already need to replace, the rest were okay. thanks for the advise it certainly help.
                I beleive I have to check all my engine mount.
                私はフィリピン人

Comment

I would say alignment. I've had that problem in nearly every car I've driven, at one point or another.

VTEC by birth, not be choice.

Andy's Auto Sport: Comptech Battery Tie Down, "It will look so trick that your car will think it has more horsepower!"

DumbleDore!'s CG
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199312

Comment

Originally posted by DumbleDore! View Post
                    I would say alignment. I've had that problem in nearly every car I've driven, at one point or another.
                    Just replaced my upper and lower control arm bushing, tire rod end, knucle and ball joint plus alignment was done, still i could feel a little bit.
                    私はフィリピン人

Comment

A lot of times a vibration is amplified by loose front end parts because the loose tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushings or whatever it may be move a lot more with the vibration making it easier for you to feel. If you still have a vibration I would check your tires. it's always the first thing to check when you have a vibration. Most of the time a vibration is caused by a bad tire or unbalanced tire. Have you swapped your tires front to back to see if that helps? Also once in a while a bad/bent/slightly unblananced cv shaft/joint can cause a vibration, but the first and cheapest step is to check tires. It is extremely rare for an alignment issue to cause a vibration unless the toe in is way out of wack and you have other suspension issues too like bad ball joints etc. which causes the front tires scrub along the ground, but you would also have some pretty uneven tire wear/feathering/cupping. I would check tires first.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyD View Post
                        A lot of times a vibration is amplified by loose front end parts because the loose tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushings or whatever it may be move a lot more with the vibration making it easier for you to feel. If you still have a vibration I would check your tires. it's always the first thing to check when you have a vibration. Most of the time a vibration is caused by a bad tire or unbalanced tire. Have you swapped your tires front to back to see if that helps? Also once in a while a bad/bent/slightly unblananced cv shaft/joint can cause a vibration, but the first and cheapest step is to check tires. It is extremely rare for an alignment issue to cause a vibration unless the toe in is way out of wack and you have other suspension issues too like bad ball joints etc. which causes the front tires scrub along the ground, but you would also have some pretty uneven tire wear/feathering/cupping. I would check tires first.
                        Thanks man for the excellent advised, I already shifted my new tires and problem still there, I am now looking on camber correction, I saw one of my tire is not level up straight. I hope my ride has adjustment for it.
                        私はフィリピン人

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqKK...e_gdata_player

Go look at that video the first pArt shows my rebuilt rack and how It should function tight ball joints new dust covers then it showd my old rack and i point out detailed areas that might give you idea where vibration could be coming from. I had same issue as a lot of us do but mine got to the point it was wondering like i was drunk 2 years neglected. check all bushing most important being the one on passenger side rack and pinion mount.

http://db.tt/OmeSB522

If your tie rod looks like that replace it most likely if its not obvious then its gunna be the rack it self not engine or tires. lift the car up inspect it then have someone turn the wheel and see if you notice anything but if you have car off and have free play in steering wheel bleed the ps its does it itself and also check the swivel joint that goes from steering column to input shaft on rack and pinion make sure its tight and splines are not damaged if car pulls to one direction while driving might consider agling it or if it pulls one way while braking check brakes could be binding up causing vibration but these are obvious things and if you haven't noticed any signs of vibration expessially if you have free play at steering wheel take the rack and pinion out for inspection. Camber is off then you need to find the problem causing it is something bent control arms springs broken or sagging you can't correct it just toe and if u did tie rods go get it aligned also check the lca for any movement and make sure axle nut is tight and make sure intermediate shaft is secured but I'm guessing your leaving some important info out if that wheel is bouncing to the point of an issue then normally there more signs and more than one thing wrong just start at steering wheel work your way down snything that's touching the front end that could cause vibration inspect it use crow bar and see if anything is loose.
                          Last edited by vincentmandrell; 03-03-2013, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vincentmandrell View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqKK...e_gdata_player

Go look at that video the first pArt shows my rebuilt rack and how It should function tight ball joints new dust covers then it showd my old rack and i point out detailed areas that might give you idea where vibration could be coming from. I had same issue as a lot of us do but mine got to the point it was wondering like i was drunk 2 years neglected. check all bushing most important being the one on passenger side rack and pinion mount.

http://db.tt/OmeSB522

If your tie rod looks like that replace it most likely if its not obvious then its gunna be the rack it self not engine or tires. lift the car up inspect it then have someone turn the wheel and see if you notice anything but if you have car off and have free play in steering wheel bleed the ps its does it itself and also check the swivel joint that goes from steering column to input shaft on rack and pinion make sure its tight and splines are not damaged if car pulls to one direction while driving might consider agling it or if it pulls one way while braking check brakes could be binding up causing vibration but these are obvious things and if you haven't noticed any signs of vibration expessially if you have free play at steering wheel take the rack and pinion out for inspection. Camber is off then you need to find the problem causing it is something bent control arms springs broken or sagging you can't correct it just toe and if u did tie rods go get it aligned
                            Thanks a lot for the video. I do appreciate the point by point explanation. peace man.
                            私はフィリピン人

Comment

Thank you guys, the points you raised were all very helpful, I do hope that my problem will solve the sooner. I love this forum, "every members are sharing thier views and experience".
                              私はフィリピン人

Comment

Working...
                              X