Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

stock vs aftermarket headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP, i hope you didn't assume i meant for you to swap the f22 head to a H head, that's just not worth it and if you read up on any of the numerous discussions on this forum, that's a no-no. I literally meant swap your F engine to an H engine. For $2000.00, you should be able to do the entire swap. Engine and transmission.

Comment

For the F22A, most generic header designs will give a limited gain. Even the good brands, such as DC Sports, will usually only yield a gain of 5-8hp at best. Granted, the engine is essentially a big air pump, so the effects of all parts working together will vary depending on what parts are used (DC header on an otherwise stock F22A will likely account for a smaller than than a DC header with a good intake and exhaust...)

Bisimoto's header is the only non-generic header currently on the market for the F22A. It's not cheap, but it's the only one that has been documented to provide significant gains. Bisi's dyno test on an otherwise stock F22A1 showed nearly 27whp. Others have shown 12-15whp. Even that 12-15whp is a very respectable gain for just a header (though not quite what Bisi claimed.)
      If you want to keep the F22A, the Bisimoto header is the way to go.
      If you want to swap to an H22A (as mentioned, don't do a headswap... swap a full engine) then there are other brands that offer very good results as well as Bisimoto. You can do your own research among them and decide which is best for you.

Keep in mind, if you're located in California, you are VERY limited to what you can use legally. A DC Sports header may be little better than a cheaper Megan Racing header, but it will be CARB legal, whereas the Megan Racing header is not. Having illegal parts can result in fines if a cop pops your hood, and I believe could even result in your car being impounded on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Having illegal parts can result in fines if a cop pops your hood, and I believe could even result in your car being impounded on the spot.
        this is true it has happen to me twice . stay with in the law because gets expensive paying tow fees and tickets .
        this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
        How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
        Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Originally posted by 91cbseven View Post
          Are they a good bang for the buck? Is it worth to pay 500 bucks for them?
          There is no bang for buck in that.

If you're willing to spend 500 on your exhaust you'd be better putting the cash into another part of your engine to see more gains.

There decent brands out there but for the most part it's been said, a HEADER (As you only have 1) is one of those parts that see the most gains when you have accomidating hardware with it. For 500 bucks you're better off getting everything from the header to the muffler done up nice, and maybe even have enough cash left over to get yourself a nice Cold Air Intake and a Intake Manifold, the likes of which will net you a decent gain over stock that you will definitely feel.

Megan Racing (Cheap, iffy brand but they are better then stock)
          DC Sports (not reps, but a actual DC sport header)

Are two that come to mind that are pretty decent units.

Don't drop 500 on a header bro, drop 500 on your whole exhaust.

Comment

That's good to know, I have the rest of the exhaust done already but I would like to stick with the stock motor because of simplicity I still have a lot to learn and I just want a little more power. Longmont is 5000 feet in elevation and it is even worse in the mountains.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199548

Comment

Great, you're from the Colorado Front Range area!! Longmont's not too far from me, i'm just west of DIA. You can PM me for general help if you need help with the header install/removal, it's pretty straight forward. You may also want to check out CyborgGT (Ft. Collins), he's building an H22 motor. Glad to have another CB enthusiast in the Front Range. I have a generic no name header just lying around for the F22 prior to my swap. If you're really interested in having it, it's free, pm me and come take if out of my garage.

Comment

It doesn't hurt to save up for nice parts. A header will help depending on where you want your power. I have an H so I went with a long tube header. I have a Feel's header, Magnaflow cat, and Apexi WS2. I spent almost $1800 on my exhaust. But honestly half of that was in name instead of performance. Maybe, My exhaust is super quiet and sounds amazing.
                '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                  It doesn't hurt to save up for nice parts. A header will help depending on where you want your power. I have an H so I went with a long tube header. I have a Feel's header, Magnaflow cat, and Apexi WS2. I spent almost $1800 on my exhaust. But honestly half of that was in name instead of performance. Maybe, My exhaust is super quiet and sounds amazing.
                  eww that's a lot for an exhaust. I've got the WS2 also but it's attached to an OE spec cat and a Megan Header that i got for 60 bucks off of a member here. I only threw that on my A1 because the stock flex pipe was busted and this was much cheaper than just buying a flex pipe from the auto parts store.

Comment

I think my header was 700 + shipping. Then extra money to get it fit. New high flow cat modified to fit. I don't regret buying too much. It's making me think twice about boost though. I paid a lot of money for a super rare part, don't want to toss it if you know what I mean. Then the WS2 was around 800 shipped I think.
                    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post
                      Lets not forget that if you don't wrap it correctly you will see no gains or see damage. Too loose does no good, too tight and you can crack the header.

I think one of the worst things about aftermarket headers is they don't have brackets on them that go to the block and that is why they crack.

I'm looking for an a6 bracket for my ebay downpipe but cant find one, worried I may crack my header since I have no exhaust support going to the block.
                      “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
                      ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

My eBay bought header came with mounting bracket welded on the down pipe. It was not perfect alignment with OE bracket that extends from the block. So it was modified to work with that mounting bracket as I mentioned on other thread.

You just have to know how to work this kinda stuff sometimes when dealing with aftermarket parts.

Make up your own supporting bracket if it needs to be.
                        A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                          My eBay bought header came with mounting bracket welded on the down pipe. It was not perfect alignment with OE bracket that extends from the block. So it was modified to work with that mounting bracket as I mentioned on other thread.

You just have to know how to work this kinda stuff sometimes when dealing with aftermarket parts.

Make up your own supporting bracket if it needs to be.
                          I was using a f22a1 downpipe bracket, that worked for a while until it broke. I believe it broke because I was using a a1 bracket on an a6 downpipe, and now I can't find an a6 bracket cause Honda doesn't make them anymore. I thought I could just order another a1 bracket but thought no, cause that will just break again.

On another note, I really like the aftermarket ebay header I got, it makes a really cool whirring noise when the rpms rise or when I downshifts. Sounds like it flows super awesome. Since I put a stock muffler and resonator on my car, I can hear the front end header/valvetrain noises a lot better, they sound awesome, I think it sounds better than the loud cat back I had on it before. And better yet I lost no power making the swap.
                          “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
                          ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

My engine is A1 engine, so was the OE exhaust pipe which has been replaced by a generic 4-2-1 header. They said this generic header is applicable to A1 - A6, IIRC.

Either I installed it correctly with undue loading by modding the existing bracket or I am lucky. The mounting bracket is not yet broken after three years if not more.
                            A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by 91cbseven View Post
                              Any gains from header wrap?
                              the whole point in heat wrapping headers is to keep under hood temps down and to keep headers hot to increase exhaust flow(cant remember the technical terms)

i wrapped mine and the under the hood temp dropped a huge amount. before the wrap my CIA got stupid hot so much is was barely touchable. you want the air getting to the engine as cold as possible and the exhaust gasses to stay as hot as possible.

“I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me. Your car is your story, so don’t let someone else write the book.”
                              — Mighty Car Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Accord problems View Post
                                this is true it has happen to me twice . stay with in the law because gets expensive paying tow fees and tickets .
                                lol gut it and make it all electric, now what lmao

You could beat any street legal car on the road off the line with this lol, jk

cali sucks dont they eventually crush your car for those infractions too, i know they do it right away fro the street racing, makes cute looking powerwheels sized hondas

Comment

Working...
                                X