Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

oil pressure light flickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil pressure light flickers

my oil pressure light flickers when I engage the clutch and my rpm drops lower than 800 and when i sit and idle the light turns flickers on and off or just barely lights up. i'm thinking oil pump

A lot of people think about failing oil pump when they see oil light flickers. I say not so quick.
    Engine being able to hold oil pressure, it needs healthy clearances on bearings, healthy oil pump and good oil.
    Faulty/inaccurate oil pressure warning switch would cause the light to flicker.
    Leaky oil pressure warning switch would cause it to flicker.
    Unless you want to change your oil pump straight away, you would need to find out why the light is flickering in the first place.

Or, you can do what I do to my car. Pour in a can of STP to thicken oil and drive on. My engine would have to come out soon any ways and I'm being lazy.
    Last edited by oyajicool; 01-17-2013, 07:33 PM.
    A&P-IA

Comment

I would check to make sure the connection is solid, and perhaps trying a new oil pressure switch. They're cheap and easy to install. A better idea would be to install a real oil pressure gauge; there's a reason most new vehicles come with one.

Comment

Have you checked your oil level?

The light coming on when you shift makes me think it's the oil pressure sending unit (the pressure warning switch). This is located near your oil filter, and can sometimes get damaged wires. Shifting causes the engine to move, especially if you have worn mounts, and would jiggle those wires to the point where they would cause the light to come on if they're not in good shape.
        My own was spliced in place by a crappy shop, and I pulled the splice apart while changing my oil one day.

At idle, though... that makes me think it might be more than the wiring. It may be the pump, it may be low oil levels, or it may just be a faulty switch.

I'd follow the advice given by the guys above (I really just elaborated on what they already said.) A good pressure gauge will tell you if you actually have low pressure or not... unlike the stupid idiot light that basically says "hey buddy, your engine just blew up!"

Comment

Change the oil and the filter. I recently had this problem and that solved it. You might also be low like i was but why not just change it.
          10th Anniversary Accord.
          05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

Hook up an oil pressure gauge to check the actual pressure, before you tear apart your engine replacing things that may be good.
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Just changed my oil a month ago, wiring is soldered to oe female connector. It doesn't do when i shift only when i sit at a light. Or sitting parked idling. Also when im coasting with clutch in it will blink. Oil pressure switch is new bought it in Oct. from autozone

Comment

why is it dropping below 800??? it needs correct rpms to supply correct oil pressure. i think you need to find out why it drops down that low.
                GATORS GONNA GATE - - im also here: www.x-h20.com

Comment

Originally posted by ProSouth View Post
                  why is it dropping below 800??? it needs correct rpms to supply correct oil pressure. i think you need to find out why it drops down that low.
                  Stock idle for an auto is 750, and stock for a manual is 770. It's normal to idle below 800.

OP: Sounds like your wiring is good. Switches can be faulty/DOA, or fail quickly. I had one from AutoZone fail within two weeks. But, assuming it's working properly, check your oil level, and hook up a real gauge to determine whether or not it's safe to continue driving without fixing the issue. It sounds like you may have a real problem.

Comment

Originally posted by solito_yo View Post
                    Oil pressure switch is new bought it in Oct. from autozone
                    Was it flickering prior to changing the switch? Is this the reason for replacement?

IIRC, someone of this forum was finding out that AZ oil pressure is some how set at higher pressure than OE switch. You may want to find out what pressure your switch is triggering at.
                    A&P-IA

Comment

holy hell, mine never sees those numbers. 900 minimum.
                      GATORS GONNA GATE - - im also here: www.x-h20.com

Comment

can a low/high oil pressure prevent the car from running? like if you turn on the car, the rpms rise to about 1000 then down to 0.

Comment

Get an OEM oil pressure switch. I've heard of a few issues with the AZ pressure switch.
                          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

the reason for replacing the switch is that the old one used a screw to hold the connector in place , well the screw broke off inside. mine idle sits at bout 1000 and drops down to almost 500 sometimes, and when i push on my brakes the idle rises and drops down. so i have no clue. and light just started flickering bout 2 days ago.

Comment

start with the oil pressure switch

Comment

Working...
                              X