Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Emissions Guru! Please Help, Failed 4 tests in a row.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
    just wanted to get a fact out there to not eliminate a possible option for you. but if you don't want to use more than one thats cool.
    Thank you. I wasn't trying to come off as an asshole, I've just had it with this entire situation. But I have way too much tied up into it, to just let it go, so needless to say, I'm very frustrated. It's become more of a principal issue now. I feel like iv'e done more than my share, and theres no reason this thing shouldnt pass emissions. Basically every part on this motor is brand new, and it was a low mileage motor to start. Im really bad at knowing when to throw the towel in... I dont give up easily, and this thing is consuming me

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
      how is using 2 cats illegal? BMW's have 4
      because they come with the factory with 4, h22 never came with the factory with 2.

you're also not supposed to change the location of the cat, so installing long tube headers on something that had a shorty and cat setup stock is illegal.

Im a licensed smog tech in california so i do know a little bit but it is obvious here that you dont want to be helped.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
        because they come with the factory with 4, h22 never came with the factory with 2.

you're also not supposed to change the location of the cat, so installing long tube headers on something that had a shorty and cat setup stock is illegal.

Im a licensed smog tech in california so i do know a little bit but it is obvious here that you dont want to be helped.
        Are you referring to me, or Quashish??
        California smog techs are worthless...

Comment

Have you checked the cam/crank timing yet? If the exhaust valves are opening before the combustion completes I would think that would be bad. That said, I don't know if there's that much "leeway" in the cam/crank timing. I'm just pulling shit out of my ass, but it sounds like that's what you need right about now if you've ensured everything else you've mentioned is working properly.

Other than that, all you can do is make sure all sensors are hooked up and operating properly; even something as seemingly simple as the IAT sensor. honda-tech (yeah, I went there; you should thank me) even suggest that your maps could be the cause of the issue. I know nothing about the P13 or H22, but I would make sure whatever maps are on the P13 are a proper fit, even CA spec.

Everything I read pretty much points to the EGR system not working properly and your engine running hot, causing high NOₓ. The HC is slightly over, and under at RPM, so that's probably a minor issue and might be corrected after correcting the NOₓ. One fellow with the same HC issues discovered his IAT sensor wasn't hooked up, and doing so was the solution.

Other say to ensure you don't have any exhaust leaks and that the O₂ sensor is working properly. It's possible you fouled your O₂ during install?

Lastly, you said you drilled the EGR ports and tested the operation of the valve. Are you sure the wiring from the ECU to the valve is functioning? Did you drill out the passages in the EGR as well? There's more to the EGR than just the inlets to the runners. I would double/triple check the EGR system.
          Last edited by reklipz; 01-15-2013, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JusAlil4Banger View Post
            Are you referring to me, or Quashish??
            California smog techs are worthless...
            Depends who you talk to. Im a licenced smog tech as well, and I know quite a bit when it comes to these tests. The thing I learned is not to assume things. Little things like exhaust leaks can reak havok on diagnosing, there are many varibles you have to consider. You are obviously doing this on your own so you dont know if techs are useless. No one can efficiently look at numbers and be 100% CORRECT. There is always varibles to consider. If anyone tells you just to change the cat, then they dont know squat (especially when NOX is high).

You could of:

These programs you pay so little for but a licence shop will have to fix it correctly. Judging what you paid for already in parts and in guessing and in smog runs...it would of been more cost effective to have a shop diagnose it and guarantee it. And yea there are a few shops who know didly squat and they are licenced techs. But how far will you go in your repairs to hopefully get it to pass?
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
              Depends who you talk to. Im a licenced smog tech as well, and I know quite a bit when it comes to these tests. The thing I learned is not to assume things. Little things like exhaust leaks can reak havok on diagnosing, there are many varibles you have to consider. You are obviously doing this on your own so you dont know if techs are useless. No one can efficiently look at numbers and be 100% CORRECT. There is always varibles to consider. If anyone tells you just to change the cat, then they dont know squat (especially when NOX is high).

You could of:

These programs you pay so little for but a licence shop will have to fix it correctly. Judging what you paid for already in parts and in guessing and in smog runs...it would of been more cost effective to have a shop diagnose it and guarantee it. And yea there are a few shops who know didly squat and they are licenced techs. But how far will you go in your repairs to hopefully get it to pass?
              Well I'm not even sure what CAP or VROOM are? And i say the smog techs are worthless, cause every one i go to is crap. 90% of the time, I can't even communicate with them due to they'er poor English. They always act like they'er going to teach me something i don't know, then they ask where the battery is, and tell em', In the trunk... and they look at me like Im an alien or something. they always leave my little rubber timing plug sitting on the side of the engine bay, and then slam the hood on it! slamming the hood is bad enough, but to slam it down on a part you were to careless to replace?? WTF is really goin on!? The only respectable/knowledgeable one I've met was the BAR referee, at the VitorValley college in Victorville.
              I'm aware of certain programs that will help you if you can't pass, but i have severe trust issues, and i don't leave my car anywhere to be worked on. Its almost like leaving your wife with another man for the night.... Everyone is so dishonest nowadays, that you just can't trust anyone!!! Everything is a scam!! Especially in the automotive industry.

Comment

wow you need help and i don't mean with your car.

calling the automotive industry a scam is straight up insulting. to the best of luck with your car. i just helped a cd wagon pass today.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

calling the automotive industry a scam is straight up insulting. to the best of luck with your car. i just helped a cd wagon pass today.
                  Yea man, you're right... I do need some help. But this is Cb7Tuner not F!@%@$
                  Braintuner. I was talking about my car, not my psychological problems. You sound very naive. Thanks for the info though, and congrats on you're wagon.

Oh and I'd appreciate If you didn't take my words out of context, like a typical under-educated smog tech. I didn't say the automotive industry, itself, was a scam. I said everything's a scam, especially in the automotive industry. There is actually a difference.
                  Last edited by JusAlil4Banger; 01-17-2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Well I'm not even sure what CAP or VROOM are? And i say the smog techs are worthless, cause every one i go to is crap. 90% of the time, I can't even communicate with them due to they'er poor English. They always act like they'er going to teach me something i don't know, then they ask where the battery is, and tell em', In the trunk... and they look at me like Im an alien or something. they always leave my little rubber timing plug sitting on the side of the engine bay, and then slam the hood on it! slamming the hood is bad enough, but to slam it down on a part you were to careless to replace?? WTF is really goin on!? The only respectable/knowledgeable one I've met was the BAR referee, at the VitorValley college in Victorville.
                    I'm aware of certain programs that will help you if you can't pass, but i have severe trust issues, and i don't leave my car anywhere to be worked on. Its almost like leaving your wife with another man for the night.... Everyone is so dishonest nowadays, that you just can't trust anyone!!! Everything is a scam!! Especially in the automotive industry.
                    Find a shop with some old geezers. A SMOG REPAIR SHOP. Trust in those guys.

But if you have severe trust issues, then nothing is going to help. You are already trying to trust strangers on here so you might as well trust someone in person.

I feel you. With the right tools, knowledge, experience and common sense...anything is possible. Take it from a fellow smog tech =)

Yea man, you're right... I do need some help. But this is Cb7Tuner not F!@%@$
                    Braintuner. I was talking about my car, not my psychological problems. You sound very naive. Thanks for the info though, and congrats on you're wagon.

Oh and I'd appreciate If you didn't take my words out of context, like a typical under-educated smog tech. I didn't say the automotive industry, itself, was a scam. I said everything's a scam, especially in the automotive industry. There is actually a difference.
                    Dude, im not trying to be rude. But dont attack someone who is trying to help you. There are many things that he may know that you wont understand. People are here to help. Stop being a punk.

This is one reason why I dont post here that much. Everyone wants the 100% answer and most of the time I dont think people pay much attention. My biggest thing, is never assume. Your assuming your cat is good...well there is a few tests to confirm that, but only a smog tech would know it and have the right tools to do it.

I had my 300zx, and it stumped even me. Failed for nox and everyone said it was the CAT. I was convinced because of the high 02 levels in the system. I smoked tested it and found nothing. I gave up and went to a old smog shop with 2 old geezers. They tested everything I did down to the bone and didnt understand even with a new MAf (for possible lean condition) and calibration. They eventually gave my car back no charge.

Found out later that my aux air valve after the o2 sensor was bad. It was pumping air into the system and causing high o2 and not enabling the CAT to work the way it should. It also was after the 02 sensor so it was only detectable by process of elimination. Called the old geezers and told them what I found. LOL they were mad that they over looked it. I still appreciated their help, and have mad respect for old guys.

Moral, give people a chance. Understand what contracts you sign and what rights you have. KNow that there are good techs out there who DO care. If you dont trust anyone, well then get your car illegally smogged and call it a day.
                    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Find a shop with some old geezers. A SMOG REPAIR SHOP. Trust in those guys.

But if you have severe trust issues, then nothing is going to help. You are already trying to trust strangers on here so you might as well trust someone in person.

I feel you. With the right tools, knowledge, experience and common sense...anything is possible. Take it from a fellow smog tech =)

Dude, im not trying to be rude. But dont attack someone who is trying to help you. There are many things that he may know that you wont understand. People are here to help. And I'm a lame ass punk.

This is one reason why I dont post here that much. Everyone wants the 100% answer and most of the time I dont think people pay much attention. My biggest thing, is never assume. Your assuming your cat is good...well there is a few tests to confirm that, but only a smog tech would know it and have the right tools to do it.

I had my 300zx, and it stumped even me. Failed for nox and everyone said it was the CAT. I was convinced because of the high 02 levels in the system. I smoked tested it and found nothing. I gave up and went to a old smog shop with 2 old geezers. They tested everything I did down to the bone and didnt understand even with a new MAf (for possible lean condition) and calibration. They eventually gave my car back no charge.

Found out later that my aux air valve after the o2 sensor was bad. It was pumping air into the system and causing high o2 and not enabling the CAT to work the way it should. It also was after the 02 sensor so it was only detectable by process of elimination. Called the old geezers and told them what I found. LOL they were mad that they over looked it. I still appreciated their help, and have mad respect for old guys.

Moral, give people a chance. Understand what contracts you sign and what rights you have. KNow that there are good techs out there who DO care. If you dont trust anyone, well then get your car illegally smogged and call it a day.
                      I've given people plenty of chances. That's how i ended up in the middle of an intersection with my axles split apart. You think that just because I'm here asking about it, that I'll do the first thing anyone tells me? I'm not as naive as all of you... I figured this would be the type of response id get though. Man, this site should be called "CB7Haters" fits the vibe pretty good huh?? oh yea, fixed you're statement above... punk.

Comment

Are you serious? This is straight up ridiculous. You come in here asking for knowledge, because you evidently can't figure it out yourself. Finally, once you hear what we have to say, you turn around and throw it back in our faces simply because it somehow rubs you the wrong way? Not to mention that all the while we are putting up with your ignorance and insolence and still trying our best to be informative and friendly.

Get real kid.

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
                          Are you serious? This is straight up ridiculous. You come in here asking for knowledge, because you evidently can't figure it out yourself. Finally, once you hear what we have to say, you turn around and throw it back in our faces simply because it somehow rubs you the wrong way? Not to mention that all the while we are putting up with your ignorance and insolence and still trying our best to be informative and friendly.

Get real kid.
                          Trying to be informative and friendly??? please... Yea, I'll get real, as soon as all you "upper class tuners" come down off your're royal pedestal, and realize you're no better than anyone else just because you may have a bit of knowledge that the "noobs" don't. So right back atchya... get real kid.

Comment

Trying to be informative and friendly??? please... Yea, I'll get real, as soon as all you "upper class tuners" come down off your're royal pedestal, and realize you're no better than anyone else just because you may have a bit of knowledge that the "noobs" don't. So right back atchya... get real kid.
                            Everyone understands that your frustrated, but its no reason to get "bent out of shape" especially when people are trying to offer you advice, and help you figure out the issue.

The people who would be most likely help you solve your issue, its like you just stepped all over their suede Timberlands, and your wondering why they are upset.

This is "Deev's" house, mind the rules, and show some respect please; and maybe someone would be able to offer some advice that will help you resolve your issue.

Otherwise your always welcome to go post on Honda-Tech.

EDIT: A couple things that haven't been mentioned... charcoal canister and pcv valve. I could see the pcv valve be a cause of issues if it is stuck open all the time... recirculating oil vapor back into the intake...
                            Last edited by cloudasc; 01-19-2013, 04:56 PM.
                            PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Well, I'm not upset. I am dissapointed. I'll save the immature arguments And be the bigger person. And say....good luck.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
                                Everyone understands that your frustrated, but its no reason to get "bent out of shape" especially when people are trying to offer you advice, and help you figure out the issue.

The people who would be most likely help you solve your issue, its like you just stepped all over their suede Timberlands, and your wondering why they are upset.

This is "Deev's" house, mind the rules, and show some respect please; and maybe someone would be able to offer some advice that will help you resolve your issue.

Otherwise your always welcome to go post on Honda-Tech.

EDIT: A couple things that haven't been mentioned... charcoal canister and pcv valve. I could see the pcv valve be a cause of issues if it is stuck open all the time... recirculating oil vapor back into the intake...
                                I understand the frustration that has been built up toward me. I don't deny that I'd act the same way toward myself, If i were one of you. Other than my car, my life has gone down the toilet in the last month... was laid off from work and the car is down, so i can't find new work. Those are just the the top 2, on my laundry list of problems. I know all of you could give a shit less about my problems, but I'm just trying to help you guys understand why I've been acting like such a little B****.

I have a brand new charcoal canister, but I've overlooked the PCV... I'm going to go check it out. Thanks.

Well, I'm not upset. I am dissapointed. I'll save the immature arguments And be the bigger person. And say....good luck.
                                Thanks, bigger person.

Comment

Working...
                                X