Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Don't know were to post oil leak issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know were to post oil leak issue

I am here trying to help my step brother out. He drives a 92 accord and loves the thing. Its pissing oil and says its the "cam shaft seal". I am looking for a diy.... for some help or anyone in the Tampa Bay area that is a guru with these things?

Anyone that can help I appreciate it!

I'm glad you posted a giant picture of your car, it really helps me diagnose it

Anyways to do a camshaft seal you need to remove the cam gear which means you need to remove the timing belt. You're also going to need to take off the valve cover and remove the cam cap above it.

Are you sure that seal is leaking anyways? Unless you had the timing belt covers removed you wouldn't be able to see it leaking directly out of there. I'm willing to bet the distributor seal, valve cover gasket and oil pan gaskets are in very poor condition

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
      I'm glad you posted a giant picture of your car, it really helps me diagnose it

Anyways to do a camshaft seal you need to remove the cam gear which means you need to remove the timing belt. You're also going to need to take off the valve cover and remove the cam cap above it.

Are you sure that seal is leaking anyways? Unless you had the timing belt covers removed you wouldn't be able to see it leaking directly out of there. I'm willing to bet the distributor seal, valve cover gasket and oil pan gaskets are in very poor condition
      I posted the pic because in past forum experiences no one looks at threads with no pics. Not sure how this forum works.

I am just trying to help my step brother get his car running. I appreciate the tips. I'm going out to look at it now. Just trying to get an idea of what to look for before I get out there and see it with my own eyes and get hands on. More giant pics to come but hopefully they will shop were the leak is lol.

Comment

First order of business in finding oil leak is to clean the engine.
        Blow air to dry.
        Place a card board or something on the ground.
        Run the engine for a little while and see if you get oil dripping on it.
        Then look for the source of oil leak.
        A&P-IA

Comment

This is were I could find oil. He says the oil on the valve cover was not from a over pour or spill.

Any idears?

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
            First order of business in finding oil leak is to clean the engine.
            Blow air to dry.
            Place a card board or something on the ground.
            Run the engine for a little while and see if you get oil dripping on it.
            Then look for the source of oil leak.
            I appreciate this. I will get some stuff to clean the motor (do you suggest anything? This thing is filthy! I don't think simple green will take it off.

I will follow your steps and I got a mechanic buddy coming to take a look at it.

Comment

The area in the first pic can be caused by a failed cam seal or a leaking valve cover gasket. The only way to be sure is to remove the upper timing cover, and look for oil here:

If there is no oil on the ridge directly under the cam seal, it's the valve cover gasket. Remember, after yo remove the valve cover to replace the cam seal, you MUST use some gray rtv in the cracks on each side of the hump over the cam, both on the timing side and the distributor side.
              Originally posted by Mishakol129
              Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by Douche Canoe View Post
                I appreciate this. I will get some stuff to clean the motor (do you suggest anything? This thing is filthy! I don't think simple green will take it off.

I will follow your steps and I got a mechanic buddy coming to take a look at it.
                I use Zep Citrus De-greaser because I find it easy on aluminum, non-corrosive.
                Spray the stuff and scrub as needed.
                Then, I use compressed air and siphon gun to rinse off with water. Wear ear and eye protection while I do this.
                Blow it to dry and check for cleanliness.
                Repeat above as needed.

Looking at your photos, after clean the engine, I would replace valve cover gasket and rubber plug things first.
                Drive around for a while and re-check for leak.
                A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                  The area in the first pic can be caused by a failed cam seal or a leaking valve cover gasket. The only way to be sure is to remove the upper timing cover, and look for oil here:

If there is no oil on the ridge directly under the cam seal, it's the valve cover gasket. Remember, after yo remove the valve cover to replace the cam seal, you MUST use some gray rtv in the cracks on each side of the hump over the cam, both on the timing side and the distributor side.
                  I appreciate all the tips and info. We are gonna tackle this asap and see if this car can get up and running.

Thank you very much. He loves this car. I can see why I drive a 04 civic and it treats me awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                    I use Zep Citrus De-greaser because I find it easy on aluminum, non-corrosive.
                    Spray the stuff and scrub as needed.
                    Then, I use compressed air and siphon gun to rinse off with water. Wear ear and eye protection while I do this.
                    Blow it to dry and check for cleanliness.
                    Repeat above as needed.

Looking at your photos, after clean the engine, I would replace valve cover gasket and rubber plug things first.
                    Drive around for a while and re-check for leak.
                    Note taken. We will be attacking this (if its up to me tomorrow).

I will update asap.

Thank you guys for being quick and helpful.

Comment

I forgot to mention to check your oil filler cap as well. IIRC, there should be a O-ring to seal. The seal maybe missing, damaged or hard.
                      A&P-IA

Comment

Working...
                      X