Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Where do I start with the whole exhaust system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thestockcb7 View Post
    Thanks guys, I really do appreciate every second that is spent into helping me! Hmm, seems like if I cannot find the reducer, I'd just have to save up and go with your ebay cat system @H311RA151N because it'd also make things a lot easier. So what you did was buy the ebay cat, but instead of using the muffler they give you, you replaced that with an OBX to make it sound as good as it does now?
    Yes.

What I did was:

Buy an Ebay catback.
    Buy a Resonator of my choice.
    Buy a Muffler of my choice.

Then I took it to an exhaust shop and told them to cut the muffler and resonator off the catback and replace it with the ones I bought separately.

Comment

And your very welcome. Your easy to help and understand and anytime you need something dont be afraid to ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        If you just want to replace the muffler, you're looking for an "axleback".
        If the sound and look is all that matters to you, then that will work just fine. Retain stock piping up until just before the muffler. You may need to find a muffler shop to weld a flange on, though.

Another option is to simply go to a muffler shop and tell them you want a sport muffler on your car. They'll slap a generic one on there, and it'll be fairly inexpensive. Probably the same stuff you'll find on ebay.

Inexpensive mufflers are hit or miss. Some sound fantastic (like my muffler shop special... I love it), and some sound raspy and crappy... like someone filled a coffee can with bees and marbles, and stuck it on your car.
        Paying for a more expensive muffler, or better yet, a full quality catback, will make it much more likely that you'll get the exact sound you're looking for.

Also, Kai... RS*R is still very much in business. Their website seems to only show their new Ran*Up oil additive, which both intrigues and confuses me... though they do still show images of exhausts and suspension components.
        Anyway, here's an Ex-Mag for sale for our cars:
        http://www.raceinspired.com/p-2286-r...1990-1993.aspx
        I don't know that shop, but they have the Ex-Mag for sale, and the price is fairly reasonable, IMO.
        Guarantee you, you won't find one. I pretty much called all the performance shops on the net, they're discontinued. That website doesn't really update their items that often. I think they had one for a 94-97 when I checked back in June but I didn't want to risk getting an exhaust that didn't fit right for that amount of money.

Sold my RSR to a member on here for 1050 shipped though, so that's how I was able to afford a 630 dollar Apexi. He REALLY wanted it and I couldn't turn that offer down.

Plus, if anyone has any doubt as to the quality of the Apexi and wants to compare it to a Megan, here's my link as to how I got it back in June of this year. In this link, I compare it next to my 2 year old RSR...it was a beautifully made exhaust, tucked up nicely to my car so I didn't scrape anywhere, but I couldn't turn that offer down. He kept offering and I finally caved. But these are two of the best exhausts for our cars, no questions asked.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=apexi

here's a link to how it sounds, keep in mind I didn't know, but I think my cat might have been on its way out/failing at the time. The vid was taken in June and I replaced my cat in October.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=apexi
        Last edited by Losiracer2; 11-24-2012, 11:33 PM.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

RSR and Apexi are the only quality name brand exhausts for our cars. I guess you can throw Magnaflow in there too.

But the mild steel thing is a crock of shit IMO. If I was a beting man Id say that my ebay cheapie will outlast an Apexi just because its stainless. Maybe Im wrong but Id be willing to make the bet.

Comment

My mild steel Bosal exhaust lasted 7 years before I had to replace any part of it. I'd be surprised if one of those cheap ebay stainless ones last longer than 4-5 years before something need to be replaced.
            MR Thread
            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
              My mild steel Bosal exhaust lasted 7 years before I had to replace any part of it. I'd be surprised if one of those cheap ebay stainless ones last longer than 4-5 years before something need to be replaced.
              My Integra has one thats 4.5 years old with no problems. (I didnt put it on there, but I have the records on it). It looks almost like the one on my 91 EX thats been on it for 2 years. And my Integra was up north and drove everyday in the winter for 2 of those years.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                I had a friend with those on his 89 Ranger 5 Speed with the 2.9L V6. After a while the packing came out but it sounded good. Loud as hell though.
                Tims ranger

And the exhaust on h311ra151ns integra (used to be his dads) is older than 5 years. Its like 7 or 8 years old.

But "ebay stuff" might not have been so bad back then either, idk i was only 14 then.

Comment

Rednecks in my neck of the woods drag main street with granny gear engaged until the exhaust is red hot, then they spray water up the tailpipe and do it again.

Then Blahhhh, pop, crack, crack crack ... mbbbbaah the glass packs shatter and they get 10x louder...

In my area a loud exhaust doesn't get you pulled over, hanging out the window to give a beer to someone else does.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                    Rednecks in my neck of the woods drag main street with granny gear engaged until the exhaust is red hot, then they spray water up the tailpipe and do it again.

Then Blahhhh, pop, crack, crack crack ... mbbbbaah the glass packs shatter and they get 10x louder...

In my area a loud exhaust doesn't get you pulled over, hanging out the window to give a beer to someone else does.
                    Thats how it is here to a point. If the cops want to pull you over they will even if your not doing anything wrong. I got pulled over twice in the first week i got my cb. They said they wanted to know who i was.

Comment

I'm the only one in town with a lowered honda, the cops know who I am... but I went to high school with a good deal of them too. I have yet to get a ticket though from a local yokel, but I don't act like a 'tard in city limits. (maybe backroads out near the prisons though) Population of my town is around 7,000.

*knock on wood*

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                        I'm the only one in town with a lowered honda, the cops know who I am... but I went to high school with a good deal of them too. I have yet to get a ticket though from a local yokel, but I don't act like a 'tard in city limits. (maybe backroads out near the prisons though) Population of my town is around 7,000.

*knock on wood*
                        Pop here is 2500. I dont have any tickets either. Been pulled over more than 10 times though. There are 3 civics, only one of them is nice but it dont run anymore, 4 accords h311ra151n owns 3 of them and a 2012 Sti. Those are all the moded imports in my town.

Comment

After your first post I looked into flowmaster, but I never heard of Full Boar . Do they even make good mufflers compatible with 1.75" piping? So I'm pretty much doomed to using a "collector"? What a collector does is an add on to match the inlet, but it has a different outlet for the muffler?
                          Well, I'm also new to this exhaust thing, so if anything I say is wrong please correct me.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-11113/overview/

1.75 in/out stainless steel, although you did state you wanted the OBX resonator, which you'd also have to account for the in/out so a collector is probably a must for you anyways.

Kind of off topic from my post, but does anyone know how different sized piping makes your system sound different? Basically how does smaller piping compare to larger piping in terms of sound?

Comment

Sorry if I'm thread jacking. But I wonder what catalytic converters are you guys running to match with the 2.5in. catback exhaust systems? I had a megan header and a magnaflow cat. I ended up getting custom 2 inch piping from a muffler shop due to the cat being 2 inches. I still got it for a good price though.

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
                            My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
                            Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

Originally posted by JFrost7 View Post
                              Well, I'm also new to this exhaust thing, so if anything I say is wrong please correct me.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-11113/overview/

1.75 in/out stainless steel, although you did state you wanted the OBX resonator, which you'd also have to account for the in/out so a collector is probably a must for you anyways.

Kind of off topic from my post, but does anyone know how different sized piping makes your system sound different? Basically how does smaller piping compare to larger piping in terms of sound?
                              Thanks @JFrost7, but I'm going to go with the eBay cat system and replace the muffler & resonator, hopefully it's not too loud .

Another thing, I probably shouldn't care what others think, but isn't it "rice" to have all stock engine parts etc. and replace your exhaust system to make your car a little louder? I feel like it gives the impression that my car is turbo'd or has a vtec engine or something, when it doesn't but I'm not going to act like I have a fast car or anything.

Comment

Thanks @JFrost7, but I'm going to go with the eBay cat system and replace the muffler & resonator, hopefully it's not too loud .

Another thing, I probably shouldn't care what others think, but isn't it "rice" to have all stock engine parts etc. and replace your exhaust system to make your car a little louder? I feel like it gives the impression that my car is turbo'd or has a vtec engine or something, when it doesn't but I'm not going to act like I have a fast car or anything.
                                It's all up to a person;s opinion if a car is "rice" or not. I wouldn't consider a catback a rice upgrade though. Its one of the few bolt on and easy upgrades you can do for your car.

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
                                My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
                                Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

Working...
                                X